displaying posts 101 to 125 of 140

Pages (6): first .. 4 [5] 6

Author Subject: '98 Gti6 Track Day Project
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Brilliant Chris Thumbs up

My cars better on twisty / bumpy tracks like Combe ...doesn't matter how fast your car is there ....everybody who's not that good goes careful m8...

What worries me about Silverstone is could a average driver with a High powered road Stnd car go fast around it ?
Combe you have no chance of faster road cars out doing you ...unless as they did at FCS touring car drivers taking people around in Renaults LOL
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 08:32
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
Day666 wrote:
Brilliant Chris Thumbs up

My cars better on twisty / bumpy tracks like Combe ...doesn't matter how fast your car is there ....everybody who's not that good goes careful m8...

What worries me about Silverstone is could a average driver with a High powered road Stnd car go fast around it ?
Combe you have no chance of faster road cars out doing you ...unless as they did at FCS touring car drivers taking people around in Renaults LOL

Yes in short, C63 AMG's, M3's and the like are all very quick around there, but equally there were loads of clio's etc that weren't - overall it was the best TD i've done, with enough run off etc that you dont mind pushing pretty hard!
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 13:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Silverstone is probably the biggest power-biased circuit we have tbfh.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 13:26
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
phillipm wrote:

Ok Thanks PhillipThumbs up
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 13:30
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
I need something diff & challenging from Combe ...not 3hr drive from Bristol though Thumbs up

Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 13:31
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
phillipm wrote:

Agreed, it's also pretty s**te to race on with our level cars as it's so wide you can't defend.

If you want a challenge Cadwell is where it's at. Crazy elevation changes and generally pretty fast, it's awesome fun. That said there isn't much run off so if you get it wrong, it'll hurt.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 14:33
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
demondriverdan wrote:
phillipm wrote:

Agreed, it's also pretty s**te to race on with our level cars as it's so wide you can't defend.

If you want a challenge Cadwell is where it's at. Crazy elevation changes and generally pretty fast, it's awesome fun. That said there isn't much run off so if you get it wrong, it'll hurt.

That is very important to me as I desperately don't want to bash my car up and do like to push as hard as humanly possible. I loved it, maybe Donnington next?
Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 16:27
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
Doing cadwell 22ns april its only 130 all day if any1 is game

Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 16:36
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
fatlapit wrote:
Doing cadwell 22ns april its only 130 all day if any1 is game

Have you booked on to this day Chris?
I'm quite tempted by this if you are Hmm

Goldie the track car.
Posted 4th Mar 2016 at 18:12
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #110
Hmmm I could be up for this....

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 5th Mar 2016 at 13:27
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Update time!

So it has been a long time coming, but lots of improvements, and i'm relieved to say the car is better than ever....

First up:

Needed a new clutch, so along with the new clutch cable its now all new, and the feel, progressiveness of the pedal etc is massively improved, and whilst in there we fitted a new RichW flywheel! (WHAT an impact that has had, engine now revs so much more freely, and coupled with the Satcshift the gear changes now are lightening fast and loose little rpm...) - You can see in vids below

Next up:

Removed all remaining air con pipes AND replaced the power steering pipework we had done with the fitment of the VTS rack....Still not great sadly, getting a horrible feedback when wheel is anything other than straight ahead, i'm guessing it could be the rack now as we've tried/changed everything bar the pump (which was fine before....)

The cambelt....

Well this turned out to be a barrel of laughs...it had only done 8k miles but in 6 yrs so thought it wise to change given its age...as some of you may have read, had a bit of a mishap when my good mate and mechanic accidentally started it half way through the change (with no belt on....)

Also, we just could not get the heat shield to not foul the exhaust, has anyone else had this? (we gave up and took it off)

This lead to a full head rebuild, which has transformed the car, it is now smooth, quiet and pulls harder than ever - so very pleased in the end....

The mechanic used all OEM parts and cleaned up the engine bay, so it is now genuinely like new and so much better than it has been in my ownership

The brakes!

So i am running Billet 300 HiSpec brakes with Tarox G88 discs, previously with DS2500's. After Silverstone in Feb these really glazed over (despite having a good 4mm depth left Sad ) so these were replaced by DS3000's - Utterly amazing is all i can say, you can see in the videos I ate everything up on the brakes, including cars with much bigger setups than me - cannot recommend this combo enough!

Steering wheel...

I couldn't resist, i've never liked the 2 spoke OMP rally wheel so upgraded to a smaller, Corsica wheel - its bloody lovely

So she rolled out of the garage, fully rebuilt the Friday before the trackday on the 19th of Sept @ Bedford Autodrome

I'm massively relieved to say the engine and all of the works completed were utterly brilliant and didnt complain once, despite being thrashed mercilessly all day....that said I did run wide onto the kerbs in the morning which appears to have broken the front left driveshaft/diff and requires further investigation (hence the horrible noises and slightly reduced pace through right handers on the videos below)

The new AD08R's also stood up very well in dry and damp conditions, and certainly have every bit as much grip as the RSR's before them, along with better turn in.

I cannot recommend getting out on track days enough, particularly with decent tyres, brakes and a light(ish) car, it is utterly brilliant and massively rewarding.

Here is the Pug keeping up with new Aston Martins and 300 bhp Stage 3 ST's, Cupra R's with Cages and MASSIVE brakes, and Stage 2 Mk5 GTi's - punching well above its weight...

Aston: https://youtu.be/OfSfzfsomSM

ST: https://youtu.be/i6J50C08ZJ8

Golf GTI: https://youtu.be/oaR9YUXsTc4

Cupra R: https://youtu.be/j1x89sFFjPw

Now its time to sort the cage/shell and bodies - its as ever, the straights that prove frustrating...

Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 12:43
sergioiacobucci

Senior User

Post #112
Looks great mate! Keeping up with some pretty fast cars.

Phase 1 silver track car
335i daily
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 14:30
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
Nice write up. So you would heavily recommend the flywheel then. Considering getting one myself
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 15:40
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #114
blandy wrote:
Nice write up. So you would heavily recommend the flywheel then. Considering getting one myself

You can feel it revs easier but combining it with other improvements it all adds up to make a difference....don't expect it to set the world on fire on its own but worthwhile if changing your clutch Thumbs up

I sold one & a helix clutch a while back for peanuts

The one Sandy had made for his Engine in my car now is half the weight of TTV one & much thinner but over £1k to buy
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 15:51
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
lol i was attempting to fit that gearbox yesterday but didnt go to plan as no matter what i do when fitted the clutch arm does nothing so gearbox has to come off again
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 16:00
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
I would absolutely recommend it, with a new clutch and the satchshift it makes for a really nice, quick change.

Mine always felt very lazy when revving, this is definitely improved which makes it feel more eager
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 16:12
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
blandy wrote:
lol i was attempting to fit that gearbox yesterday but didnt go to plan as no matter what i do when fitted the clutch arm does nothing so gearbox has to come off again

Is that the gearbox off me ?
Did you Remember to change the arm to a standard 6 one ?......my clutch was opposite of a 6 one if you remember ?
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 16:14
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
Chr1sch wrote:
I would absolutely recommend it, with a new clutch and the satchshift it makes for a really nice, quick change.

Mine always felt very lazy when revving, this is definitely improved which makes it feel more eager

Thumbs up ill give one a go
Posted 26th Sep 2016 at 17:36
99rallye

Regular

Post #119
Looking good....and just in time. You must of been anxious you`d not have it back! I've got my first day at Bedford on the 8th of Oct which I'm looking forward to even more having watched your vids....it looks like it's very well kept.
Posted 27th Sep 2016 at 06:32
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
99rallye wrote:
Looking good....and just in time. You must of been anxious you`d not have it back! I've got my first day at Bedford on the 8th of Oct which I'm looking forward to even more having watched your vids....it looks like it's very well kept.

Yeah you will love it! It is very confidence inspiring being well kept, well sighted and plenty of run off if you do mess it up!

Make sure you share some pics Smile
Posted 27th Sep 2016 at 07:14
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
So time for an update, albeit not a massive one

First off the car hasnt moved in month as we've finally moved into our new house, and alas that does mean the spending on the Pug has to stop for 2017. I do however now have an epic 3 garage man cave with double height, so long term i'll get my 2 poster and create my own little motorsport team lol

I now live relatively close to the Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb, so for my sins, washed the car at 7am in the rain and went up there last sunday, she scrubbed up well Smile

Great selection of cars!

In the meantime it passed the MOT, and now its the mission to get it ready for Bedford again on the 27th of March, and then Coombe in the summer

Posted 19th Sep 2017 at 10:48
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
I couldn't resist a spot of carbon when it popped up on fb...it's far from perfect but saves me nearly 12kg's, and I've fitted new latches, pins and recessed plates along with some nice stainless bolts rather than the hideous rusty black self tappers on there originally!!

Rust is next on the Agenda along with fitting Damien's old flocked dash :-)

Posted 4th Aug 2017 at 07:43
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
How the heck do I get Flickr picks to show? Not working like Photobucket used to?
Posted 4th Aug 2017 at 07:44
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
Chr1sch wrote:
How the heck do I get Flickr picks to show? Not working like Photobucket used to?

Might be in your share settings, do you have it set to allow your pictures to be shared?

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 4th Aug 2017 at 08:40
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
Ta daaaa, sorry its bloody massive lol

Carbon Pug by Chr1sch1, on Flickr

Bonnet by Chr1sch1, on Flickr
Posted 4th Aug 2017 at 10:33

Pages (6): first .. 4 [5] 6