displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Clutch replacement
alcon

Senior User

Post #1
My clutch is starting to slip on the 6 and was reading the FAQ on replacement. It all sounds reasonably straightforward but was just wondering what the real life experience is of this for anyone who's tackled it before? Euros have a sale on and their Valeo clutch kits are at a decent price so was thinking of fitting it myself. If I decided to get a garage to do it for me, how much should I be expecting to pay do you think?

Cheers everyone.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 20:48
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Cant comment on how much a garage would charge there (down here they want about 350-500 quid) but doing it your self is fairly easy. Worst part is getting the box back on if your on your own but its doable. Also getting the O/S drive shaft out if its never been out.
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 21:02
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Will need 2 of you to put box back on as it's a biatch to get the fork behind the bearing and the box lined up at the same time
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 21:03
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
Thanks guys, I would be getting a mates help as I see it looks like a 'two man job'. It gives me a bit of confidence to tackle it myself and make a potential £300-£400 saving!.....probably won't be saying that when we encounter our first seized on bolt!!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 21:12
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Lining the box back up is a massive pain. The only other thing that people struggle on it removing the clutch arm lever pin but there are plenty of threads on how to do that.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 21:17
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Removing the speedo drive housing (3bolts) gives you a bit more wriggling room. I find lifting it in with a engine crane to be the easiest way, makes lining the clutch up a lot easier.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 18th Aug 2014 at 00:35
osm2121

Regular

Post #7
It's a lot easier if you can hang the engine and the gearbox from upside.
Once you aligned the shaft and its in, before pushing the gearbox in align the fork and push in the box little by little making sure the fork is in place, and only after its all in, put the upper bush of the fork.
And remove the stud of the gearbox mount!! It'll make your life a lot easier!!
Last thing, make sure the clutch kit bring the centering tool in it, its just a piece of plastic to center de disc, it helps a lot!!!
Posted 18th Aug 2014 at 11:08