displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: How much to fix Air Con
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
Okay this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question and i have read the FAQ about the evaporator.

Car i'm buying, S plate 306Gti 6 as per my other thread, in Chelmsford (I'm in Glasgow) has had water pump/timing belt, MoT and Service. And as part of the service the seller had the A/C Recharged. However when recharging they discovered a leak but were unable to track it down as of Thursday. They'd tried dye and were going to try Nitrogen on Friday The seller hasn't heard back from the garage but is hoping that they have fixed it.

The reason for the timing and not waiting till Monday and hearing back from the garage re AC is that i'm getting a lift down to London with my sis today.

However he said he'll knock some money off if the AC doesn't work.

a) How much would i be looking to be knocked off
Cool How much would i be looking at to fix if just corroded pipes or faulty seals.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 13:18
orta

Senior User

Post #2
Possibly more than you paid for the car mate. It's why no one ever bothers...

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 15:33
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
99% of the time, they leak from the pipes along the bottom of the rad. The are ally pipes and use steel mounts so just corrode over the years. A good mobile air con guy can make these up out of rubber for less than £100 then seeing as the system has been at atmospheric pressure for ages, you will also need a new receiver dryer which is about £30 then it will need pressure testing and providing its fine, refilling. After that its essential the system gets a debug (basically just a can in the footwell you set off with the fans on full recirculate). If you don't do this, all sorts of bacteria builds up in the system which can give you legionaries disease!
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 16:01
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #4
Cheers Niall. Will bear that in mind when I go see the car tomorrow. Thanks.

Am aware that it's not a must do job. But for the sake of a few hundred quid I'd like to get it sorted. This isn't an economically sound decision. But then cars rarely are!!!

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 17th Aug 2014 at 17:54