displaying posts 51 to 64 of 64

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: That Black Rallye with the Blue Wheels
orta

Senior User

Post #51
Without the "Saxo and Renault lot" the French Car Scene is actually maturing nicely and Pugfest is the pinnacle of this. So what you lose in the diversity of the car's on show, and this year's turnout was indeed a little disappointing, you gain in actual decent folk to talk you.

I decided not camp, which meant I missed out on the tug-o-war and other activities, but couldn't justify another night away from home when I'd been away all week with work. You've gotta have a little face time with the mrs every now and again don'tcha?

After several hours of cleaning the car Saturday night it kindly rained overnight so when I came out to the car at the ungodly hour of 05:30 the car was soaking wet. Decided to dry it off quickly and begun the 2.5 hour journey, made all the more gruelling thanks to a dicky right knee!

Made good time and arrived just before 8am making it onto the front row of the club's "stand" before most of the camping lot had awoken from their beer fuelled slumber. (10.30 and Matt still hadn't taken his tent down!!!)

I'd previously been nervous about taking the Rallye on the track; 1). for fear of stacking it, 2). fear of embarrassing myself with my poor driving and 3). not wanting to hurt anyone else or damage anyone else's car. Well the opportunity to tackle a hill climb instead at least eliminated fear number 3 and with less of a crowd lessened number 2 somewhat. So I'd prebooked 3 hill climbs, not realising you received a discount for the fourth, all AM slots which fortunately I could use during the "early bird" session.

After a couple of passenger rides with Sam (cheers mate!) and a few pointers I went out for my first run. As I rolled beyond the climb's guardian, who decided to share the story of how some people had tried to go up the hillclimb without a wrist band (a story he'd share with me each run) I nervously crept the car forward to the second yellow line. Terror instantly gripped me as I remembered how rubbish the Rallye clutch pedal is (new cable needed really) and how, as I seldom drive it, much I wasn't used to doing fast starts.

However seconds after making a (slow and quiet) start and with the redline for 1st being dispatched and then hit in 2nd, I found that terror replaced by exhilaration. Even at my, relatively low, speed, the lift off and long turn 1 just after the bridge before hitting the throttle to 2nd's redline again before ploughing down on the brakes into the first harpin, was great fun. Of course I ballsed up that first harpin, I managed to kick it down into first but turn into the latter half of the corner far to quickly and lost to much speed.

The second harpin I dispatched in a (heavy) application of the brakes (too early), followed by taking it wide with fear of grounded my impractically low car and bashing it into first again. I then proceeded to corner into the esses far to much, losing more speed, before jamming first again round the next bend (I don't do corner names I'm sorry!)

Then floored it up into second before panic set in when I was confronted with the drop away on the outside of the final corner. Letting off after the "finish" marker was a relief but, I thought to myself, I'll do better next time.

Unfortunately this wasn't the case as in true style for me, practice doesn't make perfect, and my last two runs were simple repeats of the first. Making the same mistakes, of turning in to early on the first harpin, to wide on the second and not carried enough speed anywhere, both times. But hey ho it was still fun! More climbs next year I think!

With the car now very hot I shot back to the stand (where I almost got my old space back) for it to cool off. Managed to hitch a couple more rides with Sam (cool calm and composed as always), a couple with Luke (retropug) who did much better than his fellow first timer (IE: ME!), and then all four of DumDum's runs (which were fun, and terrifying in equal measure :rofl: ) Then rounded off the day by taking a stroll through the rest of the car, stopping to idly chat to some 309 owners club people who were gracious enough to answer some 309 questions I've had for a while (god I want a black 309 gti :inlove: ), found some old friends from gti6.com and then ate a sandwich.

It's really left me with a hankering to do some more track action. Disappointed I can't make the Spring Action Day in September (on holiday!) but gonna try and go to something nearer me like a random track day at Cadwell Park or something in the near future.

And well that was pretty much it. Great day tho!! Didn't take a single picture of my car, and only took one span of my favourite car at show:

Peugeot 309 1.4 (CarCool XE 3 Door, the thing was bang tidy!

So if anyone has any pics of my car I'd appreciate it if you could put 'em up here to add to the thread Blush:

The FCS pictures from their facebook page!

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 12th Jul 2015 at 20:42
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
orta wrote:
Been in or around 306s since 2006. Had a China Phase 2 DTurbo-S 2006-2008, it had a derv doctor stage 1 tune and wore diy painted gti skirts and diy painted black harriers. Was a beast and it got me to college and back, and then work and back for the first few years of my adult life. Had a Fabia vRS for a time after that, then a Citroen C2 VTS, then was back to a Phase 3 Black GTi-6 which I loved absolutely. It had a Bilstein B8s all round, Group N Engine mounts, 30mm Eibach Springs, a K'N and a full Magnex exhaust. I ran that for two years until swapping it in for a more modern, and horrid, Astra H 1.9 CDTi150.

So when I decided I wanted another 306 it was a difficult decision to decide which model I wanted. I'd had two GTIs (Had a Diablo as well) and an XUD so decided it had to be a Rallye. I'd gone through stranges about 5 or 6 years ago wanting a White One, mainly because of Ben's magazine feature from the .net years (Click Here) and then a red one. But as I've always strove for the highest spec / the rarest model I decided it had to be the Black Rallye. Only a 100 were ever made, and according to howmanyleft.com there's left than 50 left (That's included sorn'd vehicles) so exclusivity is almost guaranteed. (That is of course besides Dum Dum, MattRallye & INXS to name a few on here Blush: )

To cut a long story short I have no intention of using my Black Rallye as a daily. There's too few of them left and I'm wanting to keep this as a very long term project (5-10 years) so wanna keep the miles off as much as possible.

Bought T436 CNH from Chris (BigBadBowen from here) after a long ol' trip "down south" where I'd arranged to view a couple in the same day. The second was a lot further south, a lot cheaper and not in as good a condition. So I plumped up some notes for Mr. Bowen's Rallye. I think I didn't get a bad deal considering the work that had gone into the car, it's had a 50k Xsara VTS engine, new Aux and cam belts. As well as new brakes, good tyres a few other bits and bobs including uprated engine mounts.

It was a horrid trip home. Bad traffic, torrential rain and following my Dad doing 50mph the entire way. But despite this the Rallye still made it fun!! The exhaust note is infectious and the handling so sharp. Every roundabout can be viewed as a challenge!

I'm an avid reader of other's project threads. In particular 306gti6.com has some of the very best GTi/Rallye themed threads, and I've in particular been inspired for the overall look by 7075sam's Black Rallye before he broke it for parts! And Braymond's "Rallye-R". These two cars represent some of the best Rallye's the scene has produced in the last few years and are definitely inspirations.

My take on the Rallye may not be one for the purists and my black/red theme was inspired by Daysgti6's old '6 from some years ago Click Here

But one thing I definitely want to get right is the underside and the general clean up of some 13,14 years of grim build up. For this hours of tedious work I blame Mik's Rallye and Coskev's who showed us all how these cars should look underneath.

So want to keep the thread up to date, and I'll edit the "contents" at the top as often as I can so people can quickly navigate to points of interest.

Plans are:
Overall I want the car to be a light track use / fast road weapon that I can enjoy. There's some cracking roads near where my parents live and it's one of the few places left in the country you can really enjoy a good car.
I've got winter 14/15 to prepare the car to a standard where I can show it for Summer 2015. Gonna be going to FCS, Pugfest, Trax etc this next year so hoping to go with one 306 club or another not in the car park!!!
1). Get Lambda Fixed DONE
2). Red Decals DONE
3). Replace Windscreen DONE
4). Fit new scuttle panel DONE
5). All new bulbs behind the dash DONE
6). Get Bilstein & Springs fitted
7). Get some tyres for gloss black steels and fit
8). Speed holes DONE
9). Fit Strut Brace DONE
10). Fix various areas of interior trim DONE
11). Paint Inlet Manifold & Cam Covers
12). Clean and Tidy up Engine Bag
13). Sort this Got some rust...
done
14). De Wiper Rear DONE
15). De Aerial DONE
16). Paint Brake Calipers Black DONE
17). Gloss Black Scuttle Panel, Fuel Cap, etc etc DONE
18). Dye Interior Roof Liner Black DONE
19). Hekos
20). Sun Strip
21). Get a second key cut
22). Fit Red Towing Strap
23). Fit new "clean" license plates done
24). Xsara Washer Jetsdone
25). Start underneath Clean
26). OEM Peugeot Rubber Mats

Then Winter 15/16...
1). Carry on underneath clean
2). Source & Fit Black/Red Pipes for engine bay
3). Finally make decision whether to cage/harness bar/keep standard interior
4). New Full Exhaust (Jetex or similar)
5). Rear Shocks
6). Rear Tints
7). Xsara VTS Phase 1 Steering Rack done
8). Hybrid ARB
9). Phillipm Lower Brace
10). Bosch Aero Wipers
11). Uprate to JBL 626e or Alpine SXE1725 front speakers

Then after that (Long Term)
1). Supercharger
2). Full Respray
3). Smooth out Bonnet Badge
4). Smooth tailgate

I'll try and keep this first post updated as and when there are updates.

Started like this:

Currently looks like this:

image upload

How did you get on sorting that rust? I have a similar amount and i've no idea a) how hard it is to fix and Cool how much its going to cost! - did you have to effectively rebuild that section in sheet metal?
Posted 14th Jul 2015 at 09:11
orta

Senior User

Post #53
It's a whole metal plate mate welded in. I'm not good with the welder so my mate did it at his garage. It's a fairly neat job but couldn't complain as he charged me mates rates. I'll try and remember to snatch a pic of repair and pm u

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 14th Jul 2015 at 11:41
orta

Senior User

Post #54
I'm sure most will think uncool but did a little photo shoot with the Rallye on graffiti street in Birmingham a few weeks ago and sent couple of the best snaps off to PFC's readers rides segment and it was featured this month: 

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 17th Oct 2015 at 19:27
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
Not gonna lie, Cadwell is a baptism of fire for your first trackday Smile I love the circuit (might be my favourite) but it rewards bravery and might not be the best for your first? Don't let that stop you though, you'll love it. Flat out through turn 1 Big grin

Rallye Race Car
Posted 17th Oct 2015 at 21:31
orta

Senior User

Post #56
Oh yeah and my wheels are blue now

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 22nd Jun 2017 at 23:55
orta

Senior User

Post #57

Shes ready for the ring...

New tyres all around, went with pocket friendly T1Rs, freshly refurbed coil overs that’s raised the whole thing up to a sensible level, and full service work up.

Will do big update once I’m back from Europe

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 18th May 2018 at 21:44
orta

Senior User

Post #58
So 2018, the year of the OC 'On Tour'. It was a fantastic trip, in fantastic company, in what I've come to consider fantastic cars.

Me, Sam Bates (7075Sam), Sam Rowell (Eeyore) and Matt Frost (Frosty) met up at Ashford, Kent. Then we started, as you must, crossing the channel via the tunnel it was a 7 hour drive to Montbeliard and the Peugeot Museum. It was a bit of a slog with numerous stops, and whilst the French motorways are epicly smooth and the speeds limits are good they are sure expensive! One section cost us £38! Day 1 and I had an issue, my idle wouldn't level. So when slowing down or just after starting up the revs would die and the engine would stall. It was overcomeable and I just cracked on, and by the end of the week the issue seemed to have rectified itself.

We got some piccies outside before it opened (as in France nothing opens... ever, or if it does it opens for maybe a couple of hours in the morning, has a break for lunch and then opens again for maybe 1 or 2 hours in the afternoon) and then had a wander around. There was some great content from Peugeot's distant past but they seemed to stop acquiring new exhibits in 1993, baring a 106 Maxi and a Dakar Rally Car, there was nothing newer. So disappointing to say that's 25+ years ago now! And, even in the gift shop, there wasn't a single 306 related item apart from a cheap chain!

From here we hit Grand Ballon. It's a French mountain climb, very similar to the Swiss passes just on a smaller scale. This road was mainly empty, surprisingly, and was epic fun and really set a tone for the rest of the holiday. We got some great pics and made a lot of noise!

We then headed into Switzerland which, for me anyway, was the absolute highlight of the holiday. We travelled into Switzerland via Germany as we needed to stop at a Service Station to buy a Vignette and didn't trust asking a Frenchman anything in English, whereas all Germans speak fluent English (This is a massive generalization based on my 8 years of travelling to both countries).

We stayed in Lucerne (Luzern) and had originally planned to do the "Figure of 8" Gotthard, Furka and Grimsel Passes but as Switzerland has a particular bad winter they were all still shut for Winter!!! At a loss as to what to do we hit google and found a number of passes in the East of the Country still open. This ended up being a fantastic call, we did the San Bernardino Pass, which whilst VERY busy was great fun. The best bit of this was actually the old road 13 that lead to the beginning of the pass which was absolutely deserted!! Endless harpins meant endless fun!

After this we headed North to the Klausenpass, one of the longest and seldom used mountain passes. This was an absolutely fantastic experience. The road was 90% empty and had twisties galore! The summit was still heavily snow covered (See pics!) which lent itself to fantastic photo ops and rude word writing. The downward run from this was just as fun.

All the while the car had been performing fantastically. The engine temps were showing as quite high, but at the time I put this down to the hooning and thought nothing more of it. Yes I would've liked Air Conditioning and Cruise Control as it was hot and in between the hooning mountain passes there is a fair bit of motorway work to do, but other than that I genuinely can't fault the car. 20 years old and being driven spiritedly and still achieved 30mpg over the entire trip!

After the fantastic Klausenpass we headed back to the hotel again ready for an early start the next day...

Thursday came and we set off at 06:00 and headed in the general direction of the Nurburgring via the Black Forest.

Yes Switzerland was expensive, but it was fantastic. We had great weather, the roads were great, the tunnels were fun (Pops and Bangs lol) and the car scene was visibly alive.

After a worrying stop by customs at the German border where the customs agent seemingly wanted all my details, then gave up when she realized we were altogether and stopping me meant stopping all of us and causing traffic chaos, we were back in Germany. We travelled north on the B-500 (Google it) through the Black Forest. It's primarily a Bikers road, and the southern bit in particular was very touristy. Add to this we hit it at the wrong time and it meant it wasn't as much fun as it should've been. However after a few stops and some pics the final northern section of the road before we arrived at Baden Baden was actually nice and twisty and very fast.

We then hit the AutoBahn (And yes we did do a small portion of unrestricted) and made our ring Hotel about 19:30. It'd been a long day and the car was starting to get seriously hot...

We met up with Hannah and Josh with their 205, who'd crossed earlier in the week and been at the ring for a couple of days. We managed to get 6 of us into a 5 birth relatively comfortably and were disappointed to find out the Friday's Tourist Track session had been cancelled !! So we spent the Friday getting the obligatory pictures near the sign up at the complex near the GP stadium. We took the disappointing Museum tour and bought some over priced merchandize (Including a sticker soon to be gracing my car's rear windscreen). We then watched a little track action at Youtube corner. That evening Hannah managed to find us a really great restaurant with a mezzanine deck seating area that looked out over the Forest, we couldn't get sat out there but at least the place had it lol. We had fantastic Schnitzel, so I'd recommend it if I could remember the name of it.

Saturday comes and the track is open all day. We head up early to beat the crowds and... got stuck in the crowds. There really is not quiet time at the Nurburgring. The track is 20-whatever KMs long so it doesn't really make a huge difference to your experience. I'm grateful to the lads for the passengers rides, and thankful to Sam for accompanying me on my only track run throughout which I was worried about the car's heat, and the fade in my brakes! I posted about 13:30 lap! lol. TBH, I know it's a Mecca for some, but the reason I've left it 9 years between going back, is because unless you are a driver of a competitive (by that I mean 400bhp+) you spend 75% of your time pulled over to the right letting the endless stream of BMWs and Porsches through. There are definitely some fun bits and I recommend everyone who is really into their cars go and do it, because remember you only live once, BUT don't go expecting what you'd get from a track day back home.

After this we watched some action, including Frosty hero'ing his epic diesel round 5 times total, at Youtube corner again. The weather was beautiful and I was guilty of having a few beers in the sun.

And then... we headed home! The last day's drive started with me worrying about engine temps again. As we were driving very steadily and the temps were nudged red at this point. Worried we pulled over. And... Josh and Matt stuck their heads into the engine bay, unplugged and blew into a sensor and hey presto! Engine temp problem solved, faulty sensor :rofl:

So over 2,000 miles covered in 7 days in a 20 year old car with zero real problems, achieved 30mpg, did a trackday, hooned up two mountain passes and got me home again. Yes I was hot and yes my right foot ached, but dammit show me another £1,500 20 year old car that'd do all that!!!

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 27th May 2018 at 23:10
miki4

Regular

Post #59
Damn great. Epic pictures. Smile How long was the journey all in all (time and distance)?
Posted 27th May 2018 at 23:39
orta

Senior User

Post #60
7 days Kent to a Kent and 2,050 miles from my house back to my house! I did 4,200 miles across America in a convertible Camaro last year but that was in 3 weeks so I out paced that in my sweat box Rallye haha

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 28th May 2018 at 08:30
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
Fantastic write up Tom and I’m well envious Thumbs up

Great pics
Posted 29th May 2018 at 16:27
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Yes, great write-up. I enjoyed reading it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jun 2018 at 13:12
orta

Senior User

Post #63
Best ship from Pugfest

Credit goes to “trugga” on Flickr and too my mate Matt Frost for finding it

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 27th Jul 2018 at 21:54
orta

Senior User

Post #64
::: ANNUAL SHOW WRITE UP :::

So in their infinite wisdom FCS and Pugfest were only 6 days apart. The result? The worst turnout at an FCS I've seen in years, the Renault contingent was as strong as ever at the latter but pretty much all the Peugeot clubs had a poor turnout; with the exception of the 208 OC who had a great turnout!

So PugFest was again the best show of the year. The camping attendance was lower than last year, but as always it's the quality that matters. For the show itself the attendance was much better, pretty much everyone turned up for the day. Unfortunately it fell on a Sunday I needed to be home for a family do so ended up leaving at 15:00, so apologies to everyone I didn't manage to make enough time for... dum, mattrallye, etc. I'll catch up with you guys when I can. Y'all should come to the Xmas do!

The show was the usual affair, our club was AGAIN, shoved out in the car park (Which was extremely full this year) whilst the top of the field (AKA: "Inside the show itself&quotWink was pretty much empty. I know we have the capability to turnout quite a few cars but, personally, I think we've done our time out in the car park!

Bought quite a few hill runs this time just to wear in the new brakes. Well chuffed with my first three runs (On my own), perfect launches etc. But as soon as I had passengers my launches were awful! Didn't do any official timing or anything but a couple of runs felt genuinely quick. Managed to get the back stepping out on the first hairpin, which was the most fun I'd had since Switzerland! Joe, of 205 Trio fame, did manage to get a couple of pics and vids of my last few runs which I'll pop up at the end.

Many thanks go out to both Sams for passengers rides, and Dum for the extra run ticket ;-) After all the runs, marque moving, safety briefings, sandwiches, and sitting there was barely any time to have a poddle round the cars themselves. Disappointed Frosty had already lost his on tour stickers!!!

How good Pugfest was, FCS was the total opposite. Me and Bates were the only campers, although we managed to ally ourselves to an old 306oc staple Kent, who's now proud owner of a gorgeous Liquid Yellow 225 Meg. Me and Bates ended up looking, and failing to find a Kebab shop so ended up in a pub watching the Belgium-Brazil game.

Our stand was well out of the way, but the traffic past was ok, mainly thanks to some absolutely nuts rat-look 406s that parked up next to us! The show itself was the usual affair, far too many Renaults, loads of DS3s, and a too small dealer-section. What was great though was running into the chap Bates knew with the 280bhp N/A 205, the really good 208 turnout (That's the future afterall), the England win, and of course... the track time.

Sam was kind enough to take my shotgun for most of his laps, I think Frosty got some good finish straight pics, and we set a couple of blistering laps before having a spin of the first corner of the following lap! haha

Really can't recommend Hankook tyres enough either, Sam runs a set, and after each set of laps they'd sort his tyre pressures give advice etc. And eventually they even lent him their racing driver... first to go out with him to show him the best lines and braking zones and then took him out in the competitive c1!

With show season really over in just a week and our epic roadtrip a fading memory it leaves the rest of the year with no real Rallye outtings. So last report for a while, I guess I'll try and throw up a few updates as and when I acquire parts. But that'll be about it. Will upload photos now...

Spot the difference

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

Posted 27th Jul 2018 at 21:55

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]