displaying posts 1 to 25 of 27

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Track car setup
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Alrite chaps,

Just after a bit of advice really for all you track day goers. Looking for some advice on setting up the suspension on the track car, and to also highlight an issue I had the other day.

Basically, I'm still not 100% confident with the rear of the car, it can be fun but at times I dont trust it to not go wayward and try and turn me around.

The other day I was out in it late at night returning home, and going through an empty industrial estate. As I went round a roundabout (under the speed limit, about 25-30 mph) I lifted slightly to tempt the back end out to see how progressive it is. Now I will state I was running on R888's on the road, and had no heat in the rear tyres, but as soon as I lifted, it was like pulling the handbrake. Instantly turned me round 180 degrees which was a bit of a shock to be honest Laugh

It was a small roundabout, and I have noticed previously if you dont lift, just turn in and accelerate, you can feel the back end kinda slide as its dragged round, but not a problem as the front is pulling it through, therefore keeping it in check.

To be honest though, I would much rather have the rear end a lot more planted, would give me a lot more confidence.

The spec of the car is as follows:

Front-
KW v2 coilovers (unsure on spring rate, just what they came with and damping was set to softest setting)
roller bearing wishbone bushes
OMP upper strut brace

Rear-
Rebuilt rear beam
30mm ARB
23.5mm Torsion bars
Bilstein dampers (not adjustable, cant remember the model, but think they are 20% stiffer than standard)
solid rear beam mounts

The car is fitted with a rollcage, and there is basically no weight over the rear end.

I will admit that the rear dampers need to be changed for stiffer units, with the option of adjusting the damping, but has anyone else had any of these issues? Is there anything that you can suggest to get the rear end more planted?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated Smile

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 17:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
how low is it?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 18:00
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Front spring rate is very important and as you already realise your dampers will be doing next to nothing with those bars in. Was the roundabout rough?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 18:23
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Raise the front end a bit on the coilovers, or if you have space, lower the rear end to get a bit more weight over it. Bare in mind roundabouts in industrial estates are generally covered in diesel, which will make it really slippy!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 18:24
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Would it not pay to fit 21 tb's that are very fresh and a hybrid arb as the current set up sounds to be far too stiff.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 21:00
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The car in my avatar used to run 23.5mm torsion bars and 30mm ARB, brilliant on track but f**king awful on the road, miles too stiff. Back end used to skip and bounce over all the place. Still not sure how people run 25mm TB even on circuit, there's some circuits I'd prefer 21mm...

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 21:08
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
aaron6 wrote:
Would it not pay to fit 21 tb's that are very fresh and a hybrid arb as the current set up sounds to be far too stiff.

Couldn't agree more. Then sell the ARB and TB's to me Smile

You've highlighted a few things yourself, cold tyres, not the best shocks on the back etc.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 21:08
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
So basically car is hugely unbalanced so either stiffen the front which will make road use even worse or soften the back. I'd personally do that as an all rounder is better unless trailering for track use only.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 21:21
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'd put some smaller TB in, but keep the 30mm ARB. Decent damping is obviously very important, and I would personally have it too soft than too stiff, although I think you'll find 21mm ideally suited to fast road. You can then alter the amount of roll you get depending on conditions, ie dry and fast stick a 30mm in, wet and slippy, stick the standard bar back in...

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 21:34
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
pete_rallye wrote:
I'd put some smaller TB in, but keep the 30mm ARB. Decent damping is obviously very important, and I would personally have it too soft than too stiff, although I think you'll find 21mm ideally suited to fast road. You can then alter the amount of roll you get depending on conditions, ie dry and fast stick a 30mm in, wet and slippy, stick the standard bar back in...

I've heard about doing that just haven't really looked into it. Does running the standard ARB make much diff in the wet over the 30mm? I've not done a full wet track day so not seem my car in the wet at full speed

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 22:19
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Just allows the car to roll more before the tyres start to lose their grip. Body roll isn't as important in the wet as it is in the dry as corner speeds are lower so you can run a smaller ARB. Watch some of the really wet BTCC races and you'll see some of the cars seem to run no ARB at all!

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 22:50
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #12
Sounds like you need to swap your 23.5 TB's for my 21's off my track only car, then we'll both be where we want to be! Wink
In seriousness petes right, probably too stiff for the road! Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 13th Aug 2014 at 00:32
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
If your rear shocks are 20% stiffer than standard then they are B4s, not sure how soft your coilovers can be set to much even the softest setting may be mismatched.
Also, front spring rate is important as the rear is quite stiff so the car may also have unbalanced spring rates as well as damping rates.

Stiffer springs lead to higher variance in contact patch loads, which lead to decreased levels of grip. This effect is magnified on bumpier surfaces (possibly like your roundabout).
On a track car, you actually want as soft a set of springs as you can get away with (contrary to what a lot of people think), to minimise the variance in contact patch loads. However, as always it is a trade-off between minimising this, preventing the car from grounding out, having an acceptable amount of body roll as opposed to loads which would destabilise the vehicle, and in road cars, keeping the suspension geometry in alignment, as generally road car suspension isn't great, doesn't have optimum pick-up points etc. etc. whereas open-wheel single-seaters have a lot more freedom.

Damping rates should be selected one spring rates have been selected, but it is a relatively complex process compared to selecting spring rates, and optimisation goals aren't always clear (contact patch loads, body pitching under braking/acceleration, ride comfort etc.).

Anyway, the variance in contact patch load decreases the lateral acceleration provided, which according to an equation I won't show decreases the effective cornering stiffness of the tyre.
Looking at this equation, where Wf and Wr are weights of the car front and rear, g is acceleration due to gravity (9.81 metres per second squared), and Caf and Car are cornering stiffnesses front and rear:

K = ( Wf / g*Caf ) - ( Wr / g*Car )

Assuming the weight proportion remains the same front to rear, having a very low cornering stiffness at the rear due to having the rear very stiffly sprung relative to the front makes the 2nd half of the equation a larger number, which means K is a larger, negative number.

K is the understeer gradient, and a negative understeer gradient = oversteer.

The problem is probably either that the front is severely mismatched with the rear, with the rear far stiffer, combined with the fact that you have taken a car with an extremely light and fairly stiff rear end with a tendency to not hold grip at the rear over bumpy roads and have made it stiffer, thus even worse at holding grip over bumpy roads.

On a road car that you are modifying for track, unless you are completely changing the suspension design and are having it optimised on a rig or with computer simulations etc., you want to go a bi lower and a bit stiffer (springs and dampers) at BOTH ends, by the same amount!

If you or anyone else is interested, I wrote a paper at university on damper optimisation with a colleague/coursemate last year which explains the maths behind damper optimisation (and selecting springs) that I touched upon here and I'd be happy to email it to you as long as it stays with you. It isn't as comprehensive as we'd have liked as we had a page limit, sadly, and we had to cut out a lot of text which made it clearer and added other nice bits of extra information, however this does mean it is quite concise.

Apologies for the huge and probably incoherent essay. LOL

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 13th Aug 2014 at 07:16
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
V2s run 315 lb springs and need to be running at least half damping available or they feel horrible.

On the road that is. I run a very similar setup but much softer rear end. I mainly use it on b roads and it's planted but can go sideways if needed. Probably too soft for many tracks but seems to suit Combe ok.

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Aug 2014 at 09:01
jammapic

Senior User

Post #15
I run the Ksport setup on my car, with 280lb front springs and relatively soft damping, 22mm tb's at the back with a hybrid arb and the ksport rear dampers set to soft.

Negative camber on the front, a few degrees of toe in and solid rear beam mounts.

Run a Quaife diff and Yokohama A048r's and it's TOTALLY planted on the road, and on bumpy circuits like the Nurburgring. If I go on a smooth circuit, I can always up the damping a bit.

For me, it's perfect.

Key I found for setting it up was:

1) Corner weighting. It's perfect 50/50 side to side and 65/35 front to rear.
2) Ride height. A lot of people run really low, which is s**t for the road. Mine isn't low at all, thus:

HDI Engine Tuning / Remapping Services - https://www.facebook.com/dervtech

306 GTi-6 Track Car - 200+ hp all N/A!
306 DTurbo Track beasty - 209.9hp - RIP
Posted 13th Aug 2014 at 12:16
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
welshpug! wrote:
how low is it?

Bit too low on the back to be honest. Needs to be brought up a notch.

allanallen wrote:
Front spring rate is very important and as you already realise your dampers will be doing next to nothing with those bars in. Was the roundabout rough?

Yeah road surface is quite frankly shocking, but I still didnt expect the car to turn round as easy as it did.

pete_rallye wrote:
Raise the front end a bit on the coilovers, or if you have space, lower the rear end to get a bit more weight over it. Bare in mind roundabouts in industrial estates are generally covered in diesel, which will make it really slippy!

See above picture, does that look about right to you then?

pete_rallye wrote:
The car in my avatar used to run 23.5mm torsion bars and 30mm ARB, brilliant on track but f**king awful on the road, miles too stiff. Back end used to skip and bounce over all the place. Still not sure how people run 25mm TB even on circuit, there's some circuits I'd prefer 21mm...

On the track I find it great to be honest, but I know there is still room for lots of improvement with getting the damping and spring rates better matched. Its been built as a track car, I just use it on the road occasionally too, for shows, meets and driving to the circuit (when/if that ever happens with having no money/time these days)

@RetroPug - thanks mate, will have a proper read of that later Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input though guys, much appreciated. Got a few things I need to get sorted, then will start having a play about Smile

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 16:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #17
way too low indeed, needs to come up about 30mm.

that'll be on the bumpstops already

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 18:28
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I'd say that looks too low at the back already, you could well be running out of suspension travel. The car in my avatar was only a touch higher at the back than that but the front was way lower. That was light at the back and it easily locked the rears under heavy braking until I fit a bias valve, and you had to be on your toes in the wet, but that is just 306's for you. Solid rear mounts don't help the situation to be honest, whereas the body would move a bit before the tyres break traction with standard mounts, there is no give with solid mounts so you lose that 'warning' you used to get, although outright handling will improve.

And I would seriously try a different roundabout, I spun my 306 in the middle of town once thanks to diesel on the road when it was wet, how motorbikes got around it was a complete mystery to me!

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 21:38
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I disagree that outright handling will improve. I've ran both and the grip is the same it's the characteristics that alter slightly. I prefer the OE mounts, they corner tighter and are much more fun. Smile

Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 22:54
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
aaron6 wrote:
I disagree that outright handling will improve. I've ran both and the grip is the same it's the characteristics that alter slightly. I prefer the OE mounts, they corner tighter and are much more fun. Smile

+1

And that is pretty low on the back. Must be 30mm lower than mine LOL

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 23:27
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I didn't run solid mounts on my track 306 because I liked the adjustability of 90k mile old standard mounts, quite entertaining in the wet! But when you chuck it into a corner and the whole car wants to swap ends until it reaches the limit of the movement offered by the rubber mounts, there is no way in this world that is quicker or better for the tyres than having a solid rear end, even if it is more fun!

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 23:48
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Rubber rear mounts scare the f**k out of me on track. I always think I'm going to bin it.

Not especially helpful. But true none the less.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th Aug 2014 at 23:54
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Exactly, they are fun and they make the car more controllable when you're sliding about but there's no way they are quicker than solid mounts! I remember taking the double apex right before Flugplatz flat and the whole of the rear felt like it was going to tear itself off the rubber mounts, quite scary but you have to put trust in the car! Without them the rear would have just stayed in check, the downside been like I said before that you don't get that warning that the tyres are going to break away.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 15th Aug 2014 at 00:01
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
pete_rallye wrote:
they make the car more controllable when you're sliding about
(Rubbers)

pete_rallye wrote:
the downside been like I said before that you don't get that warning that the tyres are going to break away.
(Solids)

I've been told both of these things. I've not lost the back end in my track Rallye with solids yet, so cant comment.

I spun my old standard 6 a few times, but more often than not when the back let go I was able to catch it.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 15th Aug 2014 at 00:10
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
The thing is 'feels better' and actually producing the most lateral acceleration are not always the same thing.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 15th Aug 2014 at 06:08

Pages (2): [1] 2