displaying posts 1 to 25 of 34

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Car tax changes
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Upshot being, from October 1st this year:

1. You no longer need to display a tax disc

2. You can now pay for tax by Direct Debit (1/6/12 months)

3. You can no longer sell a car with a tax. Your remaining months get refunded, new owner has to re-tax it themselves before then can drive it. That's fairly annoying.

4. Someone at the DVLA actually paid for and approved this video

The most annoying point being the sale of vehicles. You test-drive the vehicle (your third-party insurance covers this as it's not your car, and it's taxed by them), all's good. You hand over the money, it's now your car. Your insurance no longer covers it (and you can't get daily insurance anymore) and the tax is no longer valid. Before you leave you have to phone up or go online and re-tax it with the V5C/2. That seems like a lot of faff.

Plus you only get full months refunded, so even if you were driving it home for one day to lock it in a garage and strip it down, you've lost a month's tax and plenty of insurance fees.

Not meant as a rant (Stan will do that, I'm sure) but I don't really get why they couldn't just have transferred the tax over to the new keeper as well. In the grand scheme of things it's not that much money we're talking, it's just irritating.

Full details here

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 08:29
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
That is annoying about non transfer but the rest makes sense.

Apart from the tax itself which is a massive rip off

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 08:42
rikky 🦔

Post #3
i wonder if they charge interest for direct debit, and how they work out the saving based on paying for X months

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 08:51
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
lol that video is pretty comic

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 09:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It'll be like the current system I'd imagine, e.g.:

£200 / year
£120 / 6 months
£25 / month

So not "interest" as such, but you'll still pay more for paying monthly. Then you probably get refunded at the annual rate to make sure you get back as little as possible. If they didn't do it that way you could buy a tax then refund it after a month for a profit. I'd guess they've thought of that.

Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 09:40
orta

Senior User

Post #6
IMO all will happen is a lot more people driving untaxed when they buy a car privately. It will also mean the extra fuss of that will then be involved with buying and selling privately will mean people doing may decline which could have an impact of prices of cars too old to be part of a dealer network.

As it stands u can pop to see the seller, hand over the cash and drive off. But these new rules mean you'll need to borrow the v5 off the seller nip to the post office to retX then back to the seller to pick the car up. What happens if he's in the middle of nowhere? Nowhere near a post office, and has no 3G signal so can't do it online as u aren't going to enter your payment details on his laptop r u!

Stupid!

What's this about not being able to get one day insurance anymore? I had it for the gti for pugfest last month??

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 09:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Then you use the phone.

orta wrote:
What's this about not being able to get one day insurance anymore? I had it for the gti for pugfest last month??

In order for a car to be taxed, it has to be insured. If it's not insured, you have to immediately declare it SORN. Having your car at home taxed but not insured can get you a £100 initially, then court and £1000 if it happens again.

Therefore you can do one-day insurance, but the day after you have to declare the car SORN again, losing a month's road tax.

Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 10:06
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
All of this would be okay if there was just a 'new owner' leeway of a few days: you buy a car and don't have to tax it for 5 working days or something.
Historically there's always been a leeway of a few days in terms of displaying a new tax disc to allow for them to come in the post, and it would cut down on a lot of hassle if they did this.

It would also cut down on their revenue though.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 11:46
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Just ask who your buying it off to cash in the tax the next day. You can then go get some before it is removed from the DVLA system

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 11:49
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I suspect that's the reality of it. I very much doubt that if I cancelled my car insurance expired today that I'd get a SORN fine tomorrow. As long as they insist you send V5s and docs around by post, the odd day here and there won't matter.

Posted 5th Aug 2014 at 22:36
ad

Regular

Post #11
What a joke. Does this mean a car dealership can't sell you a car with tax? This country is getting worse by the day/year. I wounder how much the dvla makes in road tax a year? And what does it go towards?

Back in the day road tax was for the "up keep" of the roads and nowadays it's all about the emissions ect your car puts out, they are taking the fun out of driving and it p**ses me right off. When is road tax going to stop going up in price? Will I one day be paying £1000 a year for a 2.0 gti? We all need to unite and no one in the country to pay road tax for a year and see what happens- they can't fine everyone.... It cost me more to tax my gti a year than insure it........they are robbing bars**rds and anyone who agrees with them and thinks this is a good idea needs shooting. Rant over!
Posted 6th Aug 2014 at 18:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
back in the day would have been before 1936 LOL

its not road tax.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Aug 2014 at 18:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
There will obviously be ways that they can register it on your behalf, I'm sure they'll have thought of it.

Same as the insurance thing - it's easy to get all wavy-army about it but it's not meant to be screwing people over for having no insurance for a day, the legislation is there to stop uninsured drivers keeping cars on their driveway and just claiming they don't drive it if asked. Under the new rules, if the Police think you've been driving it uninsured, they can just fine you for not having it insured. I don't even know if anyone's been fined for it yet.

As Meirieirnriernirrnoron says there's been no such thing as "Road Tax" for years, it's a duty on owning a vehicle. The money raised goes into the general pot of UK cash, so it goes towards the otherwise free roads, parks, police, fire service, NHS, schools and general running of a country. So yes, probably one day you will be paying £1k a year for a 2.0 Pug, but by that point the minimum wage will probably be £30 an hour and it won't be a problem.

2000 people have been killed in Gaza in the past few months. We can no longer transfer road fund licences between cars. I know which country I'd rather stay living in.

Posted 7th Aug 2014 at 09:43
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Ha, just opened my post and I have the reminder for the Peugeot which I sold a few months back. I never said the DVLA were perfect.

Posted 7th Aug 2014 at 09:46
monty-69

Senior User

Post #15
Another reason not to vote lab/lib cons. Im beginning to think maybe this chem trailing is actually true! Either the uk has been brainwashed or we can't see clearly due to our heads being up our arse.Thumbs up
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 10:11
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #16
monty-69 wrote:
Another reason not to vote lab/lib cons. Im beginning to think maybe this chem trailing is actually true! Either the uk has been brainwashed or we can't see clearly due to our heads being up our arse.Thumbs up

...it's only car tax.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 9th Aug 2014 at 10:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Children are being beheaded in the middle east. Anyone who gets angry about car tax needs to re-assess.

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 01:21
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
ad wrote:
What a joke. Does this mean a car dealership can't sell you a car with tax? This country is getting worse by the day/year. I wounder how much the dvla makes in road tax a year? And what does it go towards?

Not a penny, and it goes into general government coffers.
So it goes towards everything we take for granted in our everyday lives.

Not that I particularly enjoy giving that money away given that I've already been taxed when insuring the car, VAT has been paid buying the car new, and I am massively taxed on every litre of fuel I use, but to say it is directly funding the DVLA is not accurate.

Also, think yourself lucky that your insurance is low enough to be lower than tax. LOL

Posted 10th Aug 2014 at 08:28
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #19
monty-69 wrote:

Couldn't agree more Dave, but then we often seem to have the same outlook on life when it comes to politics. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Aug 2014 at 20:34
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Couldn't agree more Dave, but then we often seem to have the same outlook on life when it comes to politics.

This is like how Hitler and Heinrich Himmler first became friends.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 14:31
monty-69

Senior User

Post #21
ian7675 wrote:
monty-69 wrote:

...it's only car tax.

My point exactly! The British bend over and take it, lube or not! What happened to our back bone?!

It starts at the top, above the puppet leaders obama/cameron etc, our attitudes, beliefs and culture is eroded away bit by bit, right from child education and through controlled media. Over generations these small changes become the norm. Yes

Ha ha me and stan the new coalition, little and large! We would now be labelled as racist and extreme right wing but one or two generations ago we would be seen as in the middle and speaking common sense. How things change..

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 15:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #22
be thankful you're not in eire, car tax ( NOT ROAD TAX... ) is significantly more without lower fuel prices.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 16:10
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
monty-69 wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
monty-69 wrote:

...it's only car tax.

My point exactly! The British bend over and take it, lube or not! What happened to our back bone?!

It starts at the top, above the puppet leaders obama/cameron etc, our attitudes, beliefs and culture is eroded away bit by bit, right from child education and through controlled media. Over generations these small changes become the norm. Yes

Ha ha me and stan the new coalition, little and large! We would now be labelled as racist and extreme right wing but one or two generations ago we would be seen as in the middle and speaking common sense. How things change..

Road tax has never even been enough to cover the building and maintenance of roads and more money for this has always been obtained through other government monies.

I disagree with VED myself, but I know what it is. Starting a huge rant about it and then using it to show that the whole country has effectively gone to the dogs is just incoherent, and on that subject, when did we have a backbone?
Back in the days of Churchill perhaps? Here's a direct quote from him arguing that Road Tax purely funding roads should be abolished:
"Entertainments may be taxed; public houses may be taxed...and the yield devoted to the general revenue. But motorists are to be privileged for all time to have the tax on motors devoted to roads? This is an outrage upon...common sense."

Everyone has the right to voice their opinions, but an opinion expressed out of hand that demonstrates a clear lack of knowledge on the subject even after a quick google can also be dismissed out of hand, and that's just what people are doing when they see you complain about a near-century old for of taxation which has roots in the 1800s and use it to explain why nobody should vote for a certain party, including chemtrails (which I had to look up because it is so obscure and lacking in evidence that it is never promoted).

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 16:14
doon1988

Regular

Post #24
F!CK SAKE ive just ordered a new tax disc holder :'( hahaha
Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 16:31
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
doon1988 wrote:
F!CK SAKE ive just ordered a new tax disc holder :'( hahaha

I bet there are a few tax disc holder factories on the other side of the world happily churning them out unaware that demand is going to pretty much cease overnight.

Posted 12th Aug 2014 at 19:13

Pages (2): [1] 2