displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: High co (carbon monoxide) levels From a decat
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #1
Hey so I know the obvious answer is to buy a new exhaust
So I have done, however the eta for delivery is the same day as the retest :/

Anyway I have a rallye (big w00t I hear you all scream) and whoever owned it before has fitted a rather large exhaust. Looks like a good job but is incredibly loud. Where the cat should be there is a 2-1 before a straight through box to the back box.

It marginally failed its MOT on high co emissions of 0.55

I was wondering if there was any way of lowering it before the MOT retest in the hope of saving an extra £50?

I have it a a good spirited drive before dropping it off but looking at the times they left it for 2 hours before testing it :/

Any way keep smiling boys and girls

Also I'm really impressed that the tester thinks it's a 206! Good work for a main dealer huh

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 14:33
rikky 🦔

Post #2
tell them to just run it for 20 min before testing it, or give them a backhand Wink as for main dealer, i'd never personally take anything to them but your call

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 14:36
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #3
I never would again! Unfortunately my local friendly wasn't where I needed to be that day!

This car is turning into another project so I will be starting a project thread

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 16:50
doon1988

Regular

Post #4
if your not already, run it on vpower or one of the other similar fuels. I hear a tank or 2 of that stuff before the test can help.
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 16:56
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #5
I always run it on super or v power (except this tank - as they didn't have any at the petrol station)

Rich E wrote:

Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 17:32
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If the oils due changing soon do it now, clean oil can help emissions a lot but would probably cost you £40 anyway, or chuck some octane booster in the tank, should help it burn more cleanly.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 22:20
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
You need a cat mate, you'll struggle to get it through without..

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 1st Aug 2014 at 22:35
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Stuff called cataclean is good and will prob get it through mot after a long run to get it nice and warm and for it to get round this system. But you need a cat fitted really and if you have a 2-1 then straight pipe,may be an issue fitting it in. Any pics of exhaust??

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 00:17
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #9
i will try and get some pics. Its annoyingly boomy at 70mph and wakes the kids when i have to leave for work at 5am. Don't performance exhausts give you an extra 0.25bhp anyway?

I have a new (old) one on the way.. after spending £350 on welding i can't justify the cost of a new one from pug! I just hope its in OK nick

Rich E wrote:

Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 18:22
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
af1-gti wrote:
i will try and get some pics. Its annoyingly boomy at 70mph and wakes the kids when i have to leave for work at 5am. Don't performance exhausts give you an extra 0.25bhp anyway?

I have a new (old) one on the way.. after spending £350 on welding i can't justify the cost of a new one from pug! I just hope its in OK nick

It won't look great but you can easily and effectively cover holes with gun gum if you've a holey exhaust and no money for another.
It won't solve the problem of rust but it will extend the life quite a bit and stop it blowing.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 18:33
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #11
its a custom exhaust on the car hence no cat and the inability to fit one

Rich E wrote:

Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 18:37
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
My Rallye passed with a Decat! It's emissions were really low, incredibly close to a Blue 2009 Toyota Yaris funnily enough. Smile

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 18:57
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
unless you find a friendly mot tester it will need a cat
Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 19:13
pauldoubleyou

Junior User

Post #14
I have had a cat fitted later from a custom exhaust place - i got it done through a local company found at https://www.stainlessexhausts.com.

I had an S4 at the time with a full welded in system, they fitted two cats for me with the current pipework. the cats were about £70 each plus welding. Its quite impressing watching someone weld the top of your exhaust via a mirror..

Anyway its possible with money to do, however probably easier to see if anyone will PX your current system. It must unbolt at the downpipe?

Paul
Hiding with Pride
Posted 29th Sep 2014 at 14:54
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #15
I fitted a standard system!

Much more bearable on the motorway too

Rich E wrote:

Posted 29th Sep 2014 at 15:19