displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: tyre sidewall damage
jorg

Senior User

Post #1
what would be the technical term for this sidewall apart from f**ked?

my brother went to see a megane 225 this afternoon and unfortunately i was working so couldn't go with him. i told him the things to look out for and as the tyres are 18's check them over as they will obviously be expensive to replace. just asked him what the tyres were like on it and he showed me that picture. my brother hadn't noticed the damage at the time so needs to get on the phone first thing tomorrow to get them to sort it as he has put a deposit on it and picks it up sunday.

what should i tell him to say on the phone?

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 19:23
barrym

Senior User

Post #2
if it doesn't expose the cord I believe it is 'technically' fine. Whether you can live with it is another matter though

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 19:58
AndyJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
barrym wrote:
if it doesn't expose the cord I believe it is 'technically' fine. Whether you can live with it is another matter though

You're joking? That's f**ked!

For we are many.

PS£ ID: Monkey369

Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 20:26
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
AndyJ wrote:
barrym wrote:

You're joking? That's f**ked!

Not necessarily. I had similar damage, in fact probably worse, to a side wall recently and when I took it to my local tyre place they said the same thing about the cords....if it's not exposed it's ok. My sidewall actually had a 'flap' of rubber where it had got cut. In the end, despite being told it was safe and not an MOT failure, I replaced it for piece of mind. My logic being that if the side wall was made that thickness, any cut or reduction in it has to be a weak spot.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 20:32
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Flesh wound, nothing more...!

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 20:33
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Don't forget a lot of tyres have rim protectors which bulk out the side wall rubber a lot. This is not structural so to speak. Like others have said providing its not showing cords, its fine!
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 20:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I'm sure it's ok & it's not a MOT failure ...but common sense would tell you on a quick car like that ....no way would I drive with a tyre cut & slightly distorted on the sidewall like that ....never worth it ....you don't mess about with damaged tyres unless your a fool !!!!!

Just my view Thumbs up

PS ....I would even get the tyre taken off & the rim checked out ...that's had a fair impact in several places & distorted in a couple places ?

Remember no two cuts are ever the same !!!!!!!!!!
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 22:00
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Them dents look like they have been painted over so assume they have been kerbed in the past then refurbed.

Its not an issue. I drove my old car with a bigger cut in them similar to that for over 10k and it never ever caused me any issues.
Posted 31st Jul 2014 at 21:10
bas_306gti

Regular

Post #9
If the inner cords are not damaged then it not an issue, i have driven tyres with the same damage for 10K miles never had a blowout.
Posted 2nd Aug 2014 at 22:50
jorg

Senior User

Post #10
having now seen the tyre for myself I would agree with what most of you have said about it being fine. the picture made it look a lot worse than it actually is.

thanks for your thoughts on the matter guys Smile

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 3rd Aug 2014 at 13:03