displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: high boost internals
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #1
Was looking at doing a high boost sc build,
Wheres the best place to get internals from for the job? And whos does the best barings and seals and stuff like that?
Cheers
Brett
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 08:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
Depends if you want it to last or just follow the rest and potentially waste money.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 08:53
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #3
Id like it to last, ive been told that the wossner/pec packages werent the best and wasnt sure what else was avaliable as for barings ive heard longmans barings were good and xud mains were good also
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 08:56
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #4
Id like it to last, ive been told that the wossner/pec packages werent the best and wasnt sure what else was avaliable as for barings ive heard longmans barings were good and xud mains were good also
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 08:56
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
welshpug! wrote:
Depends if you want it to last or just follow the rest and potentially waste money.

Tired

Brett have you done any research yet? A lot of 'the rest' have had no problems with the internals of their HB engines if well maintained.

Every person has a preference as to what they use/like (bit like cars really) so it's best to do some research for yourself and come to a conclusion without one person telling you this is better than the other etc etc.

Depending on what sort of HB setup you want to go for it may be worth giving RichW a PM for some advice. He has built many a HB engine with different internals, some will perhaps take more abuse than others but then again how big is your wallet?

Just Drive It
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 09:04
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The point welsh pug is making I think is build once build properl! Brett the key to the highboost is forger rods and pistons but whilst the engines apart I'd think of doing a full top end rebuild and replacing the head gasket for an uprated item. Rich aw has guilt my engine high boost and I've gone far more overboard than is needed including arp head studs and a few other bits. But I also owned a highboost with just pec rods and pistons and a uprated head gasket and that ran very well with no issues. Pm Rich W with you're budget and he will advise?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 09:23
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #7
Fair enough, ill send him a massage see what he says, the standard high boost is what im after (not the super high one) as i want to retain the standard management to save some money there and i think 400hp should be more than enough for me as for saving money on the engine build, id rather buy quality componants and do it right and do it once so cutting corners here is a false economy in my opinion, i did read the diy pdf he put together on the subject and he does mention wossner and pec being some recommended componants and they seem to be readily available to boot, im more likely to believe what he says since he made the kit and ran the componants in his car, problem is everyone seems to do the 8:1 compression pistons rather than an 8.5:1 which is recommended

As for research i think i might have answered my question here but a bit more cant hurt, ill have a dig around the projects forum and see what everyone else is doing
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 12:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
very much so, however its pointless spending double the Peugeot or GSF retail on an MLS gasket, the standard ones are more than good enough.

I'm not a fan of PEC stuff whatsoever, you only need to look at the rods next to a carillo and if you have any inkling on the stresses etc that occur you'll see why they aren't fantastic, CP bolts also are superior to ARP.

many people "upgrade" to arp in the belief that it will help on cheap rods, but if a big end cap fails then there's sod all you can do with the most expensive bolts in the world, it'll take the rest of the engine with it.

often if/when a bearing fails, it'll take a cheap rod with it.

standard Peugeot or FM bearings are up to the job, the main detail is controlling oil warm up and ensuring you can also dissipate any excess heat, oil running too cold is as bad as too hot in some respects.

a set of decent rods and pistons is about £1400, pec is about a grand, granted as Ross said many have used the cheaper stuff without problem, but its not exactly particularly highly stressed in most instances, however for that little extra, I know where my money would go.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 12:15
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #9
Yeah i do see your point, the car will be a weekend warrior so will see track days and trips to the nurburgring after its built and may even see a couple of trips to the strip also so over building it would be only a good thing and if i desided i want more power at a later date then i already have an engine up to thr job, so probably would work out cheaper in that sence
Posted 16th Jul 2014 at 12:22
Hawkesfire

Regular

Post #10
I have a complete SHB engine for sale if your interested using Lynx parts and set up by Wayne PM me if you want to talk prices

Marty

206 Rallycross GTI6 SC SHB 425 BHP clutch eater !!!
Posted 7th Aug 2014 at 12:40
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Mines fine and has considerable more torque than hb sc conversions and i use pec internals. However i do use rp oil.

Posted 7th Aug 2014 at 15:00