displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Recommended upgrades?
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #1
My car has been road use only up until now, but is being converted to track / race / speed event use (with some road use between events). I can't go too mad, as it needs to stay "production" spec, but I'd like to make it reliable, compliant etc on track with the uprated parts that are allowed, while still being okay on the road (I've had track-focussed cars on the road before, so I'm okay with a firm ride, just not one that will knock teeth out!)

There's a whole host of parts available, but my budget isn't unlimited, so I'm looking for views about what areas are best to focus on, which suppliers are recommended etc.

Damping is sorted, but I'm thinking about the areas of suspension bushes, engine/gearbox/beam mounts, top mounts, rear camber, gear rods as so on.

Fire away.....!

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 22nd Jun 2014 at 18:47
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Rebuilt rear beam, new mounts all round, get top engine mount re worked, xsara rack new arms drop links trick rod ends. I'd leave camber alone maybe unless you intend only track action ! Put the car on a diet but balance is key so consider corner weighting the car after the diet
Posted 22nd Jun 2014 at 21:50
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
bigbadbowen wrote:
Rebuilt rear beam, new mounts all round, get top engine mount re worked, xsara rack new arms drop links trick rod ends. I'd leave camber alone maybe unless you intend only track action ! Put the car on a diet but balance is key so consider corner weighting the car after the diet

Done this & can't recommend it enough Thumbs up ....LSD 3J made the biggest differance though & mines 80% road -20% track ...no roll cage....std seats ...momo wheel !!!!!
Posted 22nd Jun 2014 at 21:55
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
You say your dampers are sorted, what's fitted as if you're not prepared to change them this could well be a limiting factor of your suspension mods.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 22nd Jun 2014 at 22:43
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #5
The limiting factors are going to be money, and wanting to use it on the road!

Currently it has the custom set-up that R4ly J on here made for his Rallye. Re-valved and adjustable Koni coilovers, from his build thread - "I'm running 350lb eibach springs with increased, adjustable rebound and slightly increased fixed bump". For the budget I'm on it was as good as appeared available, but it's obviously not an off-the-shelf kit. I'm happy to use that, and if it's a limiting factor then I'll upgrade later.

What I'm looking for here is advice on what to tackle first, what upgrades are best done together, and which might make things worse. I can already come up with an endless shopping list, but I don't have the cash for that so want to spend wisely what i do have.

(edited to add further damper spec)

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Posted 23rd Jun 2014 at 12:56
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #6
Which adjustable top mounts do people recommend? Are there any that will give suitable adjustment for the track without cutting metal? And do the compbrake or spoox ones even fit properly at all?

Posted 24th Jun 2014 at 21:03
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Depending how much your going to use it on road ?......go careful ...most people in the know who use adjustable top mounts will tell you they fail much quicker than stnd ones ....

If your going to be using it much on the road ...stiff suspension & bucket seats & roll cage are going to make your life on the road a nightmare !!!!

I've gone as far as I can .....& want to with Suspension & Steering & plate Diff ....
Next it will be Complete Engine & Throttle Bodies ...just for a bit more smiling Thumbs up
My car looks quite Stnd outside & inside ....
Handling v Comfort Amazing & amazing on the road ....with stnd engine at mo ....Castle Coombe was 100% smiles
Go careful doing Track stuff to road cars ....lots sell there's very quickly as your limited with two seats & filling knocking suspension & ear blowing engine noise LOL
Posted 24th Jun 2014 at 21:17
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #8
I have other choices for everyday driving, I doubt my wife and kids would be impressed if I turned our family transport into a race car! I know exactly what I'm getting into, I've had track cars off and on for years and I know that I won't be able to go belting off anywhere in it, and I wouldn't want to. I could do a country lane quicker in my 1.2 Seat Diesel than I could in my XE'd and Diff'd Nova! The Rallye needs to stay production purely to meet a specific set of regulations, that's why I'm self-building rather than buying something ready done like Dave & Jimmy's.

I've owned a 6 or Rallye for over 10 years now, but the track cars have been of another marque. I've been out of the 306 "modding" loop for a few years, hence the questions on which parts are best (check some of my previous posts - then tend to be followed by "f**k me, where have you been?". Last time I changed much on a 6 there was no KW, Baker BM etc. The cars were worth money, as well!

Thanks for the advice, though. Thumbs up Anyway.... top mounts.

Posted 24th Jun 2014 at 21:38
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
What's the series? Do you have a full spec list? "Production" is a very vague term as it could be really restricted in terms of suspension (i.e. coilies not allowed) or allow more freedom.

For top mounts, get the BBM style. I have a similar design and can get 3 degrees of camber out of them.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Jun 2014 at 21:45
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #10
Building to ctcrc pre 05 regs. Can convert to coilovers, single adjustable only. Adjustable top mounts are allowed, bushes and mount material are free. Engine spec, manifold, brakes, bodywork have to stay as standard.

It appears very similar to the stock hatch regs, but not limited to 1600s.

Going for that spec because it's more stringent that tintops, trackday trophy, and tricolore; keeps options open, I dont have the time to trek around the country with one series for a whole season so I'm likely to pick and choose events.

Thanks for bbm advice. Do you use any of their other bits?

Posted 24th Jun 2014 at 22:13
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
nearly every 306 i have seen has a "worn/squashed" engine top mount.

you will find its a combination of the rubber triangle shrinking and the actual metal outside housing of the rubber has expanded.

bit of lino/wood as a chock glued in and instant smooth running engine, no jerkyness etc
and its next to free

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 25th Jun 2014 at 00:23
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I'll have a proper read through the regs when I get home tonight.

I've not used any of their stuff but will be in future when I need to replace things. I spoke with them at FCS and they're keen to develop new things.

Might be able to get a discount if you're ordering a load from them as well?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 25th Jun 2014 at 13:13
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #13
Dan, did you have to mod the turrets to get the BBM mounts to fit, and give 3 degrees?

Posted 27th Jun 2014 at 09:15