Parts you will need:
- VW Transporter T4 25.3mm MC (http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Master-Cylinder-With-ABS-ITT-Calipers-T4-01-96-03-7D0611019B_act_shop.product_pID_143250031.htm
- Copper (or material of your choice) brake pipe
- 2x male pipe connectors to go into the MC
- A spare fluid reservoir
Couple of things that should be pointed out before beginning is that I have already run replacement brake pipes throughout the car and that I used the spare car to line everything up before fitting to the actual race car.
First thing to do is to put your spare reservoir on to the new MC while the male pipe connectors are in place. You should be able to see that the pipes will foul on the reservoir. To fix this I simply used a heat gun on its lowest setting and gently applied heat and pressure to the required area. Be careful not to heat too much or you risk putting a hole in the reservoir, which would be a ballache! Sadly, no pictures of this step.
With that done I cut 2x 15(ish) centimetre lengths of brake pipe and flared one of the ends to go in to the MC. Using a pipe bending tool I put a 90 degree bend in the pipe to try and clear the reservoir. It wasn't quite enough but a good start none the less.
Then bend the pipes a little more by hand to make sure you get the right clearance. Might be worth putting the reservoir on while doing it to make sure there's enough clearance. Something like this:
I then put a split pin through the MC and reservoir to hold it together. Could really pull the pin apart but should provide enough stability to hold it in place:
Now I bent the pipes around more so that they ran underneath the MC and out to the direction they would have come from on the old MC. I also flared the other ends with another male connector on and connected it to a male-male joiner. The idea being the joiner should connect in to the old pipes directly requiring no additional work.
At this point we started to work on the car. Firstly I used an oil extractor tool to pull as much fluid as possible out of the reservoir. Removing the MC itself is easy, just undo the brake pipes and the 2 13mm nuts that hold it to the servo and lift it out. Watch out for leaking fluid down the engine bay from the servo / end of MC!
Fitting the new one back in is just as easy. Maneuver the MC into the servo and tighten the nuts up to hold it in place. Then you can connect up the old pipes to the joiner and tighten everything down. Easy peasy! Might need to bend the pipes around a little but nothing complicated.
Bleed your brakes and off you go Like I said, nothing too complicated and seemed to help a lot on slow speed tests.
________________________________________Rallye Race Car