displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Is it a good idea to keep running the engine...
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
...on a car that has been laid up?

I declared a SORN on my 6 in July 2012 and excepting a 3000 mile, 2 week stint to Poland and back in March 2013, it has not been driven since. It will likely not see the road again until July 2015 at the earliest.

I have been regularly (each month or so, averaged) starting the engine to let it idle up to temperature and occasionally drive up to second gear & complete 5 point turns on the drive to give the gearbox, clutch, suspension and steering a slight workout.
My rationale is that it's better to get some movement and warmth into the engine etc. otherwise parts might seize up even more than they already will from being stood for ~3 years.

The negative of course is the repeated cold-start engine wear.

So, which is best?

Should I leave it alone completely and only fire it up in July '15?

How about cranking on the starter only, every month, to at least keep the engine moving but without the wear associated with a ~20 minute idle-from-cold scenario?

What have other people done in this situation?
Posted 24th May 2014 at 13:18
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
When my track car is SORN'd over winter i usually do similar to you once a month, just run it up to temperature and move it about a bit if i can. Doesnt seem to have done it any harm to date but i'm no expert. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 24th May 2014 at 13:52
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
I may be wrong, but I do believe Stan has laid his car up forever*, so he should be able to recommend a technique.

*I'm only going on the 537 posts he's made, stating this at every opportunity in the last 9 months.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 24th May 2014 at 17:28
    alcon

Senior User

Post #4
    Mine lay for 3 years outside and was never started or moved. After fitting a new battery and crank sensor it started first time and ran perfectly.....nothing seized or stuck.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
    1999 Rallye (black)
    Posted 24th May 2014 at 18:00
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    You must have a carpet in the garage to save tyre wear

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 24th May 2014 at 19:25
    heliosphan

Senior User

Post #6
    dangti6 wrote:
    I may be wrong, but I do believe Stan has laid his car up forever*, so he should be able to recommend a technique.

Stanley, due to Daniel's relentless insistence I need you to confirm the correct method for 306 engine conservation when laid up.

Sort it out FFS.
    Posted 25th May 2014 at 00:43
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #7
    It's easy, and no you shouldn't start it at all. No

This is what I do:

Once a week, unlock the car and open the door to let her air.
    Turn the ignition to the first click to get the fan to run to push air around the cabin.
    Lift the handbrake a few times, pump the brake pedal a few times, same with clutch pedal.
    Push and pull car forwards and back around 1-2 foot to keep wheel bearings etc moving.

Once a fortnight, I add engine turning into the equation.
    Place the car in first gear, and then start rocking the car using the front wheel. Once you have a nice rhythm (after 2-3 rocks) jerk it really hard and then the engine will turn slightly. Do this 3 or 4 times and the engine will now sit in a different place for the next two weeks until you do it again.

Once a month, I add checking the tyre pressures into the equation.

That's it, and much better than starting it up with cold engine wear etc.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 25th May 2014 at 07:12