displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Saxo Kitcar thread
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #1
I posted a few pics of Satchell Engineerings most recent wide track front suspension kit recently which has been fitted to a Saxo kitcar type Rally car I will be servicing for a few times this year.

RetroPug wrote:
WP, got any more info or specs on the saxo rally car?
Seems like it would be an interesting read.

SO here's a brief (maybe not so brief) ramble about how we got to this stage.

Owner is Garry Elswood, a guy I met through fellow PSCUK member Pugtop (Kev) as he was after an extra pair of hands for servicing on the rallies he does in Belgium.

here's his web page - http://garryelswoodmotorsport.co.uk/index.html

I've been servicing for Garry for about 5 maybe 6 years now for his first Saxo that he has had for over ten years

Started off life as a fairly low mileage car owned by a Teacher LOL then in 2002 iirc Garry got hold of it and did a road trip to Citroen Sport in France to get a few choice goodies, torsion bars and a short MA final drive and crown wheel iirc, plus a group N ecu and cams, Quaife diff.
Bilstein dampers all round, rallydesign wilwood front brake kit.

Safety devices multipoint welded in cage, short of the custom cages Saxmax cage probably one of the most comprehensive ones I've seen.

About 5 or 6 gearbox failures in 3-4 years on a mildly tuned engine including three Belgian DNF's and Garry finally got fed up and took the plunge and cracked on with a BE conversion in the winter of 08-09.

A few rallies came and finished without any drivetrain issues which was quite novel given previous history!

The inevitable search for more power started then, we were more regularly coming up against R2 spec C2's and the occasional Fiesta, these are all Works cars with 180-190 bhp single throttle 1600's running trick dampers and usually sequential gearboxes...

late 2010 and a new engine was finally in and mapped, Garry had managed to get hold of some early Satchell GSXR throttle bodies and as KMS ecu, we now had a respectable 171 bhp 142 lbft, not as much as Garry had wanted really, but it was still a standard head casting.

PEC rods, wossners and catcam 850's and solid lifters:

garry's saxo engine by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

A few more seasons go by, a few small mods here and there and a new set of rings as there was a problem with the original ones, IIRC one DNF from an understeer into a concrete block rendering the drivers door inoperable, one from an oil fire caused by oil surge in the original J4 cam covers an an engine that was breathing a bit too heavy filling the catch tank up.

a swap to DTA S40 over the unreliable KMS ecu and a few more mapping sessions.

Garry by this point wasnt comfortable with the quite basic suspension to got some AVO 3 ways all round, this improved confidence a fair bit, the rear beam was rebuilt over winter 2012.

Last event I was out with them in 2013 we had an unfortunate DNF following a bottom damper nut coming loose and going missing, and the next event the lower torque link decided to part company with the bodyshell leaving an 8x4" hole in the floor Sad

Garry left the car in the Barn for a few months umming and ahing about whether to go for a new gearbox, as he;s seen that Citroen sport were doing a 5 speed Sadev sequential gearbox for 5.5k, or have a more powerful engine built, though he was quite hesitant in asking Sandy Brown for a full build given the fairly large outlay and timescale, Garry decided to have the current head reworked to see if it would help, whilst the engine was pulled apart over the winter for a refresh as it had done 4 years without being touched other than oil changes.

The next I hear a few month later into the winter is an email entitles "options" LOL

All it said was is this car worth £*****

Errrr.

IMG_5902042399945 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

LHD shell which I found out much later on was built by Badger Motorsport, Sadev Sequential gearbox, LAD engine with Longman head throttlebodies etc, meant to be "190" bhp...

Proflex 3 way dampers all round, 330mm AP Rotors and Bremsport calipers, some kind of wide ish track wishbone setup.

Garry and Kev made the trip to Birkenhead early in November last year and came back with20 17" spare wheels and tyres, and one pretty wide Saxo Hyper

The car had only done one rally back in 2009 with its previous owner, who bought it from Ireland a few years before!

fast forward to early January this year and Garry had sorted a load of stuff for it to get an UK MOT, and managed to get hold of its original registration number which is quite distinctive to many in the pug world.

Garry had test driven the car a few times and heard from its previous owner about its suspension setup, to say it was a bit sketchy o drive was an understatement, the wishbones were longer lacing the struts at quite an angle, meaning all sort of bump steer torque steer and scary behaviour!

Issues were found with the engine, luckily although the old car was now sold Garry had kept hold of its engine as a spare though it also needed attention, so the head from that was sent to a local firm to be reworked and the bottom end checked over, new pistons due to signs of melting.

Late January after a few emails back and forth about suspension solutions Garry gave Colin satchell a call, which is where this pic I posted came in Big grin

IMG-20140403-WA0000 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

its a full satchell engineering widetrack setup, with new custom driveshafts to suit, the widest 106/saxo kit they had done so far.

looks much like this but longer wishbones.

you can see the new top mounts reinforcing plates and Satchell strut brace in this pic, as well as the refreshed 170 bhp engine, which was mapped two weeks ago and made a decent amount more than before, its now running MOTEC which came with the car.

-4 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

a week ago, 2 days after getting it mapped Garry, Kev, teresa (navigator) and Ian (teresa's other half, a mechanic by trade) made the trip out to Belgium for a small event called the Monteberg rallysprint, a few teething troubles as to be expected from a fresh car, and some scary moments for Teresa when Garry went a bit deep on a few cuts from not being used to a LHD car, they came home with a finish and posting half decent times, certainly a lot more to come and a few more changes, but definitely looking forward to 2014.

10014865_10202842646045478_8858845277990621307_o by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

10177500_585937018180778_1216928438187837912_n by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

IMG_9289 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

135468_320689381413105_9125048534816695890_o by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

I'll be out on the next event which is the ORC Rally on the 1st of June, and another one barring any issues on the 13th/14th of June called Wervik, this date is a Belgian bank holiday which takes place whichever day in the week it arrives, I think last year it was a Wednesday!

Hope I didn't bore you guys with the ramble!

Note, this is NOT my own car, not my money nor is it my final word on the parts used, I try my best to find Garry the best and cost effective solutions as and when required, Garry being based in West Sussex and myself in South Wales means my input is not as large as it would be if it were something I actually had a hand in building myself.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th May 2014 at 15:51
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
LAD engine LOL LOL LOL

Might as well toss in a high flow head LOL LOL
Posted 14th May 2014 at 17:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
yep, LAD engine with a Longman head, its not in the car now you'll be pleased to know!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th May 2014 at 18:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
Back from the ORC Canal Rally, my first event with the new car and Garry's first event with a local Belgian co-driver John Smetcoren, a very nice guy who knows everyone and does a lot of marshalling in the area himself, he hasn't navigated in a car quite this quick before but Garry is taking a while to get to grips with it, so they're both progressing quite well!

Event went as usual, arrive Saturday morning after leaving at 3.30 am from Garrys base near Broadbridge heath, hit the Eurotunnel at 6.20 uk time, arrive in the small west Flanders town of Oostrozrbeke for about 10am.

Find our hotel on the way into the town and ditch the trailer and bags, I hitch a ride in the rally car to Service park Big grin

Scrutineering took hours upon hours of queuing, even with 7 scrutineers, main delay was anything turbocharged having to have its restrictors checked and a handful of homologated R2 and R3 cars being checked thoroughly, they only looked over our Saxo for about 5 minutes!

Once back from that John and Garry head off in the Frontera to do the recce and sort the notes, whilst me and kev carry on with the fault finding and spanner checks, I have a go at trying to fix the rev counter, which we found to be just a wire poked through an ignition amp trigger and twisted over, then taped Blink got that soldered up which did make the needle move, but nowhere near the right amount, unfortunately due to the shift light working off the same RPM input there was no shift indication Sad the wiring on this car really needs ripping out and staring again, some of it was bloomin scary.

Sundays stages went relatively smoothly, but Garry not having a rev counter or shift light was finding it hard to be on the pace, its so noisy in the car you really have no idea of the RPM or speed you're doing really (no speedo, just a gear indicator!!)

_MG_2531 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nQZ44N]
[/url]_MG_2536 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

_MG_2543 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Me kev and Jenny managed to get out to watch them go by once.

_MG_2573 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

_MG_2577 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Unfortunately when queuing for stage 9 of 12 there was an almighty bang and lots of steam from under the bonnet, no temperature warnings or anything, they had just stopped after a few km of road section.

20140601_165916 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nSViCe]
[/url]20140601_165929 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Garry hit the cutoff switch straight away, and that was that, early chips and Beer for us!

made a list yesterday morning back at Garry's, so we have a fair bit of work to do before the next rally in about 7 weeks time.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Jun 2014 at 20:13
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
He based near broadbridge heath (horsham)
Im about a minute down the road!!!

Good work id love to do some rally driving, I love it looks brilliant fun!!!! Shame about the unexpected break down least he wasnt gunning it when it happened!!
I like this thread keep it coming Thumbs up

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 3rd Jun 2014 at 20:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
He is indeed Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Jun 2014 at 20:26
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #7
Found out what pads fit them bremsport callipers yet? Lol, took me ages!!

"winners come and go but legends never die..."
autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 14th Jun 2014 at 08:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
it has AP's! I think its bremsport rotors, theres a lot on the car which is dubious/dodgy/shoddy and the description was miles off, but Garry is getting there, Rallye Haut Senne today/tomorrow in Breine le Comte, Teresa back in the nav seat, I'll be out in August for another one with John the Belgian.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Jun 2014 at 20:15
Rallyman

Junior User

Post #9
Did that car come from the Isle of Man? I think it is the one my co-driver used to rally with Peter Harrison?
Posted 17th Jun 2014 at 21:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
it did yes, Garry said the guy from the I.O.M had hardly used it after an accident.

not had a report back from Garry as yet, but they had another DNF, earth wire for the fuel; pump snapped leaving them stuck mid stage I believe, fixed now but massively frustrating.

the wiring is quite a mess, so it will be getting sorted before August that's certain, a finish would be good!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Jun 2014 at 21:19
Rallyman

Junior User

Post #11
That's right, they also ran a 106. He rolled it very badly at a stage called Little London, after that he didnt really have the heart for it. That's how his co-driver ended up sat with me! The car I used to run came from Ireland too and the wiring was the same with that. Chewing gum and insulation tape being the alternative for solder and heat shrink!
Posted 17th Jun 2014 at 21:23