displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!
02woodm

Junior User

Post #1
I'm writing to warn everyone not to buy this car

This was on ebay last week. It had had an engine failure and had not tax and mot. In the advert it is described as 'very clean and original example', I fancied it because i have a spare 1900 engine in my garage so i bidded and won it at £1020 which i thought wasn't bad.
I had a 15 minute phone conversation about the condition of the car, the seller told me it was one owner from 1991 to 2013, had had a full respray one year ago and extensive work to get rid of any engine bay rust. It had been taken off the road in July last year because of a smokey engine and the engine removed but the test had only ran out in december. I asked about the quality of the respray, the rear beam condition and if there was any rust, i was told the back edge of the boot against the bumper was rusty and althought it had done 200k it was in good condition for the mileage.

I've just got back from a 400 mile round trip, doing 20mpg pulling a trailer and wasting 9 hours of my life to pick it up.

It is the most rotten example i've ever seen!

Starting from the front and working back;
the strut tops have been badly repaired, patches welded over rot that are starting to rot back through,
chasis legs very rusty where subframe mounts on drivers side,
bulkhead very rusty where seam is below pedal box,
underside recently waxoiled over all the damage,
i ripped a hole under drivers seat with my hands and could pull sound deadening out,
passenger door completely rotten at bottom,
back of boot floor very rotten,
sides of boot/rear tubs completely rotten,
with little effort I managed to rip most of the chasis leg under the boot floor off with my hands,

On to the paint job, i could have done a better job with a brush whilst tugging over page 3!
runs all over,
painted over seals,
lots of laquer peel,
rust already come through infront of rear arches

the 309 beam that i was told was in great condition was infact a 205 beam...that was cambered!

On the positive side it had 2 fairly decent autogrip's on the back!

I told the lad if he had out about him he'd pay my fuel, he refused and said i was exaggerating and he was going to relist it on ebay and someone will save this 'rare example'

So be warned please do not buy this car!!!

02woodm has attached the following image:

Posted 5th May 2014 at 17:55
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sorry to hear that Sad

It's been on eBay a few times now and he wanted very strong money for it initially, I rekon a few people may have had a similar experience to yourself.

Did the rear wheels have spacers fitted then?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 5th May 2014 at 18:00
02woodm

Junior User

Post #3
Thanks man, The photos in the advert for it must be very old. It must have a different beam on there because the one on it now is extremely narrow, i forgot to measure my 205 before i set off because i was going to check that
Posted 5th May 2014 at 18:15
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
02woodm wrote:
i could have done a better job with a brush whilst tugging over page 3!

Any pictures of your quality paint skills using above method?

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 5th May 2014 at 18:40
02woodm

Junior User

Post #5
I don't think they're appropriate for family viewing, their usually of quite vulgar imaginary
Posted 5th May 2014 at 19:40
Nose

Senior User

Post #6
What a w####r !! Are people totally fooking stupid ??? really gets me pi55ed this sort of thing. Me and mate went to Wales once to see/buy a 'mint' mk1 Golf GTI - what a shed, my mates a very large unit indeed and did get back our fuel money plus some extra beer vouchers for our trouble

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 5th May 2014 at 19:45