displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Starting Issue
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #1
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me out with my starting problem. Basically the starter motor on my Rallye died, was really sluggish to turn over and reached the point where it wouldn't engage at all - no clicks or nothing. When I took the old starter motor out I noticed it has 9 teeth, whereas the (larger) recon'd unit I got from my local factors has 11 teeth. Fitted it anyway and the car started up fine.

However I turned it off and on a few times and on the fifth time it wouldn't start at all. Starter just clicked once and them nothing. Took the key out the ignition, tried again and it was fine, but again on the fifth time it wouldn't start again Sad

Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this? Would the number of teeth on the pinion, or how powerful the starter is make any difference to the car starting?

Any information / help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 30th Apr 2014 at 22:32
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Did you have locating lugs when you changed the starter ? Is the battery healthy ? Is the replacement starter new ? Change the tdc sensor as well ?
Posted 30th Apr 2014 at 23:08
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #3
Locating lugs? Not sure what you mean Chris, but it fitted fine. Tried 2 batteries in the car prior to changing the starter and it made no difference. It's a reconditioned starter. Will look into the TDC sensor if I can rule out the starter, don't want to start throwing money at parts in the hope it will fix it.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 30th Apr 2014 at 23:12
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Gearbox has a locating lug for the starter on one of the bolt holes to ensure the starter is correctly seated
Posted 30th Apr 2014 at 23:30
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Sure battery is ok ? Sounds like battery problem to me ? Check the alternator output when car is running to rule out poor charging
Posted 30th Apr 2014 at 23:43
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #6
Pretty sure the battery is fine, haven't had it tested though. Would think the alternator is fine too as the car runs once it's started.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 1st May 2014 at 09:09
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #7
Took the earth straps off today to find this...

Think some of the broken wiring could be the problem? Replacement negative cable is £95.17 inc. VAT from Peugeot, think this might be a factors purchase! LOL

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 1st May 2014 at 20:36
rikky 🦔

Post #8
doubt you'll get it, just make one up, i nearly suggested wiring yesterday but forgot to reply. was looking into how many teeth each XU starter had. that said it doesn't look *that* bad, i've seen worse. just make another up DIY for about £5

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st May 2014 at 20:41
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #9
If I can't get a replacement cable I might just cut the old terminals off and fit new.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 1st May 2014 at 20:44
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #10
Both cables replaced and the car now starts first time everytime. Also fixed my radiator fan problem too Smile

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 2nd May 2014 at 19:07
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Just goes to show how important a good earth is
Posted 2nd May 2014 at 19:19