displaying posts 1 to 25 of 37

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Noise when turning left
6box

Post #1
I have a grinding noise when turning left only.
No noise when straight or right. I originally thought cv joint so replaced both drive shafts but the noise is still there.
Is it possible to have a wheel bearing problem? I would Of thought it would make a constant noise?
I have checked for play, holding the wheel at 12 and 6 and nothing.
I have turned the wheel by hand with the steering set to left and no noise.
The brake discs/ pads are all new, however the rear right caliper is sticking, could this cause a noise when turning?
Any thing else I can check for?
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 14:15
doon1988

Regular

Post #2
I have this same issue... In fact its in the garage as we speak being repaired...

only when I turn left and sometimes a squeal as im initially setting off.

The grinding noise only happens when above 15/20mph. I will let you know how they solve mine!
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 14:16
doon1988

Regular

Post #3
when I dropped it off they were suspecting a bearing issue......

Can you feel it in your steering when you turn? I only have to turn the wheel about an inch to the left and I can feel some feedback. Though the wheel/tyre itself is not scrubbing.

If yours is the same issue as mine then the noise is coming from the front so I cant see the back caliper being to blame... Mine has a cracked/ leaky cv boot soo I think that's what has caused mine but depending how far its gone depends how much repair is needed.
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 14:21
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Balljoint?

Are they fairly old?

Just Drive It
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 14:28
6box

Post #5
When you say ball joint are you referring to wishbone? They are new.
Yeh exactly the same I only have to turn it slightly to the left to hear the noise.
I've had a wheel bearing go before and it doesn't seem the same :/
More if a grinding noise than rumbling/ constant noise.
Let me know how you get on with yours..
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 16:04
doon1988

Regular

Post #6
Got my car back and they havent sorted it yet.....
Its had a cracked CV boot for months so they think its the joint.... But they said unlike most cars you cant just get a cv joint and instead need to replace the drive shaft...

But im a bit weary seeing as you say youve replaced both drive shafts and therefore the cv joint also with no luck... They said they dont think its the bearings because it would be constant and when they lift the car up and spin the wheel they would expect to hear it then but its silent.

Also the odd news is my mate drove the car back to mine then I dropped him off and I heard the noise... But on the drive home there is this bridge over a roundabout and when you go over the section where the hump of the bridge is connected to the main bit of the road there is usually a clunk on my car as I go over it...

But today there was a louder than average clunk - however following this my car hasnt made the noise since when turning left :/ Very odd!

Im going to see how it goes over the weekend... Let me know if you sort yours and if I sort mine I will keep you updated too!
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 19:42
6box

Post #7
I believe you can get a cv joint repair kit but it's just cheaper to replace the whole driveshaft.
I can Jack mine up and spin it with no noise. But then the car isn't under load..
I will keep you updated though.
Thanks
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 21:44
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Top engine mount is prob broken

Jack under the engine and take the mount off then remove the rubber mount to check the chassis area
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 22:01
doon1988

Regular

Post #9
I thought if it was top mount it would be more a knock than a grind?
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 22:52
doon1988

Regular

Post #10
Or is grinding the next step
Posted 14th Mar 2014 at 22:55
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I had rubbing noise too while turning left.
the mechanic find that the anti roll bar is rubbing against the wheel in sharp angle.
sort it out by turning the tuning nuts on the steering wheel arms that control the distance between the wheels.

you can verify it by lifting the car up and turning the wheels side to side, while standing beneath and following.

French military victories?
Did you mean French military defeats?
Posted 15th Mar 2014 at 05:21
doon1988

Regular

Post #12
Hey brown thanks for the info but our issue happens even when you just turn the wheel left the tiniest of amounts.

Is you lift the car off the ground and accelerate and turn it doesn't happen. Only when the car is physically in motion and load is being applied to the drivers front wheel.
Posted 15th Mar 2014 at 08:45
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Check the mount or don't I don't care
Posted 15th Mar 2014 at 10:22
doon1988

Regular

Post #14
Keep tha hair on. Was simply asking!
Posted 15th Mar 2014 at 11:40
doon1988

Regular

Post #15
Rob just to let you know mine still isn't making a noise since the big clunk yesterday. I have a split cv boot so just wonder if it could have been a bearing getting stuck or something? I dunno I've got a new boot today so gonna sort that to
tomorrow and will see how it goes before paying out for anything else.
Posted 15th Mar 2014 at 16:10
6box

Post #16
My engine mount was cracked about 2 months ago so had it welded/ reinforced so shouldn't be that.
I will have a look at the clearance on the ARB thanks.
It's a very hard noise to locate with the car jacked up.
Need a second person to walk alongside will driving slowly in circles.
Posted 16th Mar 2014 at 17:48
doon1988

Regular

Post #17
Its started again on mine this morning :'(
The guys at the garage couldn't really find anything wrong with mine over than the cracked CV boot which has been like that for a few months so Im going to get the Drive Shaft replaced anyway as Im guessing the CV joint will be on its way to being pooped by now.

Will see if that makes any difference but I am guessing not seeing as you have already done this. Let me know if you come to any conclusion with checking the ARB...?

Mine recently had the clutch done a week before this issue so not sure whether something could have been nudged or knocked etc during that.
Posted 17th Mar 2014 at 12:44
6box

Post #18
I noticed today that it doesn't make the noise if I coast round a bend out of gear or with clutch pressed.
Any idea what this would point to?
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 10:27
doon1988

Regular

Post #19
I think ive noticed that also.. only happens if I am using the accelerator. I'll try it out when Im driving later see if it happens then.
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 10:29
doon1988

Regular

Post #20
Was chatting to a guy helping fix my neighbors car yesterday and they suggested potentially the drop link has snapped and is rubbing? Im guessing if you've had your drive shafts out then this would have been easily noticeable then so I am guessing this is not the case for yourself.
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 10:30
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Engine mount
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 11:06
6box

Post #22
I think im going to take engine mount off and just double check it however the captive nut/ chassis snapped not so long ago and i had it repaired so shouldnt be that. thanks
Posted 24th Mar 2014 at 11:33
doon1988

Regular

Post #23
Im hopefully starting a new job soon and will hoefully get around an extra £200 a month. So Im going to get my car to the body shop for the cosmetic stuff and ask their mechanic to look at this if it isnt sorted by then.

I don't have the equipment to check the engine mount so let me know how you get on Smile

Also just to confirm what you said earlier.. I checked and you are right, if you coast round a corner in neutral even at speed. Then no grinding. But go round with any kinda revs and the grind rangers from mild to 's**t my cars gonna fall apart'

Cheers.
Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 08:00
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #24
Hmm, gearbox.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 08:24
6box

Post #25
Welshpug..can you please explain what exactly in the gearbox would be making the noise? and why it only makes the noise on a left turn? doesnt sound good :/
Posted 28th Mar 2014 at 18:19

Pages (2): [1] 2