displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Bottom end build options
tom_g205

Junior User

Post #1
I am just thinking of the options for a bottom end I need building. I bought the head Rallyeash had for sale which was a longman head, piper 285 cams, solid lifters and adjustable pulleys.

I also bought the balanced gti-6 crank from him and I have a 87mm bored block or a 86mm block depending on piston choice and rod options.

I have been thinking about also buying the PEC rods from Rallyeash depending on which pistons I could go for, as the wossner ones that he had fitted running to high compression.

I also have been in touch with someone about some omega pistons which I am interested in but these have a 22mm pin so aren't compatible with the PEC rods. So maybe is it possible to use Gti-6 rods or would they be to weak?

I want to stay 2.0 really and I will be using this engine in my 205 track car and the occasional road trip, with the other mods on this engine being a satchell inlet manifold, jenvey 45's, lightened billet flywheel and alloy bottom pulley.

I'm wanting around 220bhp with a nice mid range and would like it to rev to 8k safetly.

So i was just wondering what the best option for the bottom end would be. I don't really have 2 grand to build a bottom end though. Ay thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers Tom

205 GTi-6 every day motor
205 GTi-6 weekend/track car - project 230 N/A fingers crossed.
Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 16:55
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Buy rods and pistons off him and fit a thicket head gasket or decompression plate to bring the compression down Thumbs up

Are you doing to be running jenveys as well or just standard inlet and exhaust manifold? 220bhp is achievable on a standard bottom end with the right cams and inlet mods with a remap. You can safeley take revs up to around 7800 on a standard bottom end with ARP rob bolts. Jammapic has proven this on his build and hopefully i am not too far away from that on my VLR BTCC inlet too

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:06
tom_g205

Junior User

Post #3
Yes I'm running a satchell inlet and jenvey 45's. I'm having miles build the bottom end so if gti-6 rods are strong enough I may run those with with arp bolts and buy the omega pistons.

Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:09
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
To be honest standard rods should be fine. There are a few lads in scotland running 300bhp+ turbos with standard rods for over 4 years and had no problems

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:10
tom_g205

Junior User

Post #5
Hmm. I have a lot to think about. I am tempted by the PEC rods but then I will have to splash out a lot on pistons. I don't know what the engine would be capable of then though.

I just don't want to have an engine built then blow it up on track in 4 months.

Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:13
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
As long as its been done right and gets looked after it should be fine Thumbs up

Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 17:27
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #7
eddy_gti6 wrote:
To be honest standard rods should be fine. There are a few lads in scotland running 300bhp+ turbos with standard rods for over 4 years and had no problems

Yes 343bhp in one case with 7.5k and 1.3 bar boost

I doubt youll be able to swap pistons onto stock rods as the gudgeon pins are an interferance fit, i tried few different ways of pressing the pins out and did more damage than good
Posted 23rd Feb 2014 at 22:15
tom_g205

Junior User

Post #8
Well I have bought some omega pistons now so just need some con rods which I think I have found so I should hopefully have this sorted.

Posted 24th Feb 2014 at 06:20
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Loo forward to seeing what you do. Planning to get the stuff over to Miles Wednesday bud.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Feb 2014 at 19:28
tom_g205

Junior User

Post #10
I will let you know what it makes and how it turns out mate :-)

Posted 25th Feb 2014 at 12:08