displaying posts 26 to 39 of 39

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: First time in 7 years not driving a six as a daily
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Heres a controversial thought, There's pretty much naff all REAL WORLD difference between a Gti-6 and most hot hatches in the same segment out today, Whats 0.4 seconds 0-60 and a car length at 70 between friends? If i'm putting 7k coming down from a car that is, in driving terms, not even close to 5.5k worse, then i want more for my money than a car length. Is that a crime? I dont think so....
Yes it is faster, but i will bve used to it and all ready wantings more about 300m metres down the road.

As for DC2's and why do i want them over a ep3, well for a start they handle better than a ep3, They look better than an ep3, the steering isn't light and numb as hell.
The vtec changeover is better and therefore more fun, If i'm going to have all the power up top it might as well come in one big f**k off rush..

As for why am i comparing an M3 to a 7k Honda breadvan with front wheel drive, Well basically its because both are drivers cars bought by the same kind of person, But the one with an extra 130+hp, rear wheel drive and lsd full leather inside and one of the best soudning engines ever put in a mass produced car is only 1k more.
So yeah.

Jap tax.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 17:58
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Yeh buddy

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 17:58
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Was looking at 350z or s2000 but not sure any other recommendations?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 18:08
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
eliotrw wrote:
Heres a controversial thought, There's pretty much naff all REAL WORLD difference between a Gti-6 and most hot hatches in the same segment out today, Whats 0.4 seconds 0-60 and a car length at 70 between friends? If i'm putting 7k coming down from a car that is, in driving terms, not even close to 5.5k worse, then i want more for my money than a car length. Is that a crime? I dont think so....
Yes it is faster, but i will bve used to it and all ready wantings more about 300m metres down the road.

Right for starters I didn't suggest that a decent EP3 will cost you £7k, for around £5k you'll get a nice low mileage premier edition, like the one I sold last year.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that a 2006 EP3 is more expensive than a GTI 6 purely because its faster. The reason they cost twice as much is because they are half as old as a GTI 6, and you will pay a bit more for a Premier which comes with nice recaro seats etc.

If the EP3 in question was 15 years old and falling to bits then I would say you would have every right to bring cost into the equation, but in this case its not, so I do feel that your argument becomes a little irrelevant.

eliotrw wrote:
As for DC2's and why do i want them over a ep3, well for a start they handle better than a ep3, They look better than an ep3, the steering isn't light and numb as hell.
The vtec changeover is better and therefore more fun, If i'm going to have all the power up top it might as well come in one big f**k off rush..

I actually asked why just the Japenese DC2 as these are almost identical mechanically to the UKDM DC2's

The V-TEC crossover is more aggressive, but they are a bit flatter lower down - which is something you were complaining about (unjustly so) when talking about an EP3....

Also wondering why you wouldn't consider a DC5, which also handles better than an EP3, has a more aggressive V-TEC crossover and has sharper steering as well as well as being looking better than an EP3 (IMO of course)

eliotrw wrote:
As for why am i comparing an M3 to a 7k Honda breadvan with front wheel drive, Well basically its because both are drivers cars bought by the same kind of person, But the one with an extra 130+hp, rear wheel drive and lsd full leather inside and one of the best soudning engines ever put in a mass produced car is only 1k more.
So yeah.

Jap tax.

Well I guess I'm in that category then.

But actually looking into your statement a bit further I'd be spending £10 / £11k for a decent M3 as opposed to £5k for a CTR of the equivalent age / mileage / condition. (I'm talking 2005 / 2006 with 50 - 60K)

Then factor in the running costs (don't forget these cost around £50k new so parts aren't cheap) which unfortunately puts the M3 in a completely different category.

I'd love an M3. Could I afford to buy one? Yes. Do I fancy the running costs? No.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:04
fordygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Skyline!!!! Smile

98 onyx black 306 Rallye
53 Nissan Primastar silver (work horse)
58 black Volvo c30 sport
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:11
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
mates got an m3, doesn't feel nothing special till you look at the speedo, and realise your proper clocking on way past what most cars will do, then u realise there's still 2 gears left, stiff suspension but yet the suspension takes the bumps and the car doesn't rock or bounce at all going over the bumps and they handle like there on rails, the sport button is a absolute joke, just makes the throttle so sensitive you kangaroo all over unless you literally plant it.
They also seem to be rotting now, especially round the wheel arches.

It's fast but it's not as quick as my boosted 6, but I'm pretty sure the m3 would come sailing past mine after 150mph seeing as there too unrestricted speed is like 190 or something stupid

Oh and the genuine parts are a ridiculous price, he's just had the discs and pads changed and the parts came in well over a grand

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:20
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Understood Fordy but big bills if any issues.and I certainly wouldn't trust myself in a gts would have to be gtr. Not the ideal for everyday either I don't think?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 19:16
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #33
350zThumbs down

300zxLove Thumbs up

Just about bought one of these before the rallye Doh
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 20:00
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Megane R26? Pick up a tidy one of these for £7k now seems a lot of car for the cash!

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 20:14
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #35
mabgti wrote:
DPF delete

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Irrespective of their infamous failures, they are a good thing. I'd like to minimise the amount of carcinogens in my nice pink lungs.
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 21:13
axnxdxy

Regular

Post #36
R26. Picked mine up nearly two years on less than 30k miles with 275bhp and 310 lb-ft for just under 8k.

More comfort, more power, more toys, better brakes, benefit of the LSD.

You'll be able to get a decent one for 7k, but the running costs are a lot more than a 306/Civic etc.

That said I'm considering a high boost 6 LOL
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 22:17
fordygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Just gotta learn to drive it, much differnt to normal cars. Fuel exponent is pretty crap though. Can't see it being to bad for everyday. Pretty comfy and has a/c etc. couldn't really say though as mines just a toy.

98 onyx black 306 Rallye
58 black Volvo c30 sport
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 22:29
fordygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Gts are fun. Learn to handle oversteer. Smile

98 onyx black 306 Rallye
58 black Volvo c30 sport
Posted 4th Feb 2014 at 22:30