displaying posts 26 to 50 of 247

Pages (10): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: saving the red rallye
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
You bas**rd i was going to buy this car! LOL

Looks like it needs some work but a good base and will be very clean with some work
Posted 29th Jan 2014 at 20:22
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Niall wrote:
You bas**rd i was going to buy this car! LOL

Looks like it needs some work but a good base and will be very clean with some work

lol snooze you lose lol had to snap it up I couldnt resist it.....must have rallye...

yeah fair bit to do but body work and interior are very tidy.

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 30th Jan 2014 at 09:38
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Right bit of an update for you guys...well the rain held of long enough for me to get my engine out of the rallye today!!!
Couldnt get the o/s driveshaft out of the lower mount so had to remove the mount from the block smash the mount of the driveshaft,then the driveshaft was seized into the gearbox (nightmare on my back thats for sure).
But got the b**tard out in the end.

Not too bad rust wise actually in the bay,mostly surface rust which is an easy fix so happy about that!!
Did remove the o/s engine mount and found this....

not good but I think somebody on here was selling the mount repair kit if you couldnt get to him so il have a look and get one ordered!!! Not the end of the world tho,started stripping a few more bit of loom and stuff out the inside of the front arches so I can get right in there with the de-ox gel (brilliant stuff that is would highly recommend)

so still got plenty to do also de-ox gelled the slam panel,rubbed down and zinc primered it then gave it a lick of satin black so it looks like new now!!!

More progress to follow.....

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 15:53
SmartyC

Regular

Post #29
Looking forward to more pics!

Smarty

My lil toy:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincurtisphotography/sets/72157640014140786/
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 15:09
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
lol this is like Déjà vu ive just done all this on mine in the last 3 months Smile
good work!

a bit of advice

dont use Hamerite and then Tetrosyl stone chip on the top, it reacts together and is then better than any paintstripper known to man, it will take all your hard work back to bare metal

i found out this the hard way Sad
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 15:28
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
cully wrote:
lol this is like Déjà vu ive just done all this on mine in the last 3 months Smile
good work!

a bit of advice

dont use Hamerite and then Tetrosyl stone chip on the top, it reacts together and is then better than any paintstripper known to man, it will take all your hard work back to bare metal

i found out this the hard way Sad

cheers its a fair bit of work isnt it lol

Oh dear..not happy i bet!? no i wont im not using hammerite, iv got bilt hamber goodies to do mine,de-ox gel,etch primer and clear coat wax etc and some other goodies too!!!
I cant wait to drive the thing now,still got to get the engine out of my black one too...all fun and games tho!

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 15:51
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
chiefton wrote:

cheers its a fair bit of work isnt it lol

Oh dear..not happy i bet!? no i wont im not using hammerite, iv got bilt hamber goodies to do mine,de-ox gel,etch primer and clear coat wax etc and some other goodies too!!!
I cant wait to drive the thing now,still got to get the engine out of my black one too...all fun and games tho!

yup i removed the wings it makes it a lot easyer to get in and around, mine had been run without arc liners for a while so had to start with the pressure washer Smile
but alls good now all 4 arches and cross member are done with arch liners fitted top engine mounts welded so it puts the girl in good sted of lasting a few more years now Wink
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 15:59
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Mines had the liners in luckily so aint that bad just the crossmember! im taking my missus to work now so im gonna do a few bits,
I defo need to get the steam cleaner in there before I start with the de-ox and wire brushing it filthy!!!!
Luckily it stopped raining again so I can do bits again f**king weather lol

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 16:13
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Engine is now out of the onyx 6 ready to go in the rallye after my mate comes to do the welding tuesday!!!
cant wait to finally drive this thing,although I do need to do behind the skirts and under the boot floor too.

got nice red cam covers to go on aswell,and got my slam panel derusted and sprayed up,and a few engine mount parts looks nice,and alot fresher..

and finally almost ready for paint after this welding.
massive improvement on when I started.

So im making some good progress now at last..

Posted 8th Feb 2014 at 21:48
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Great stuff, you've worked really hard to get it that clean. The deox gel is great stuff though scaly rust still needs to be chiseled off. Similar to what I did to mine though I didn't take the engine out.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Feb 2014 at 23:24
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
mik wrote:
Great stuff, you've worked really hard to get it that clean. The deox gel is great stuff though scaly rust still needs to be chiseled off. Similar to what I did to mine though I didn't take the engine out.

Thanks,yeah its come up well!! is tedious work tho takes a while to do.
the engine that was in it was seized tho and im swapping with the engine from my black one along with other goodies.

Posted 8th Feb 2014 at 23:30
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Nice work, it's always nice to see someone putting in the effort to sort one of these out. Subscribed. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Feb 2014 at 23:49
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
prism7guy wrote:
Nice work, it's always nice to see someone putting in the effort to sort one of these out. Subscribed. Thumbs up

cheers much appreciated!!Thumbs up gotta be saved this one!!

Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 00:18
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Nice read. Very good effort. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 07:47
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
aaron6 wrote:
Nice read. Very good effort. Smile

Thanks mate..more to come!!!

Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 09:53
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Good effort mate. Ive just done this with my 6 when i changed the engine last weekend. Admittedly I've only done the bits in the bay as I'm going to strip the arches in a few weeks time but its very satisfying knowing that all that rust and bad stuff eating away at your car is gone and it should be good for years to come!
Also tarts the bay right up lol
Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 11:04
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Niall wrote:
Good effort mate. Ive just done this with my 6 when i changed the engine last weekend. Admittedly I've only done the bits in the bay as I'm going to strip the arches in a few weeks time but its very satisfying knowing that all that rust and bad stuff eating away at your car is gone and it should be good for years to come!
Also tarts the bay right up lol

thanks nice to get good feedbackThumbs up

iv still got the boot floor and bits to do, but they dont look to bad so I just want to get the bay done,engine in put sone goodies on and drive for a bit first!!!!

Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 11:34
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
good effort mate Thumbs up

i must be getting old, as i wouldn't entertain doing another resto project.

my mi16 is my last one Yes

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 9th Feb 2014 at 12:27
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Got some goodies on the engine that going in the rallye today. Red cam covers,carbon coil cover pug sport badge on inlet manifold too.

got the welding being done tomorrow,il get pics of the repairs when they are done. Cant wait till its done then I can get the engine bay masked up,and prime with bilt hamber etch primer, then stone chip, cherry red and finally lacquer then got bilt hamber clearcoat wax to finish!!

Got sum replacement bulbs for my hid kit today so that will be going b on the rallye.
also some bilstein b4 and eibach springs and phillipm lower brace and an alloy crank pulley,which I fitted before I went home today!!

still got my freshly sprayed bumper to pick up to.

Oh heat wrapped exhaust manifold aswell,had some laying around and thought why not!!

Should have pics of the repair tomorrow.

Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 21:07
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Looking good mate
bit scary how much rust is in these cars nowadays. good to see the project moving forward though. give you a race when mines done Lol

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 21:40
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
Looking good mate
bit scary how much rust is in these cars nowadays. good to see the project moving forward though. give you a race when mines done Lol

Cheers mate should be driving it very soon!!!
I was surprised how clean the black shell was when I took the engine out,alot better than the rallye,almost perfect! but both roughly same age.

yeah no worries give me a mile or so headstart, yours will be el rapido!!! Superman

Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 21:51
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
The Rallyes really seem to suffer for some reason! Mine isn't brilliant but for a 15 year old car, its very clean under neath. Ive seen same age Audis and BMWs (You know, them cars that the drivers insist are perfect and never go wrong!?) in a s**te condition rust wise compared to my 6 lol
Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 21:53
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Niall wrote:
The Rallyes really seem to suffer for some reason! Mine isn't brilliant but for a 15 year old car, its very clean under neath. Ive seen same age Audis and BMWs (You know, them cars that the drivers insist are perfect and never go wrong!?) in a s**te condition rust wise compared to my 6 lol

what them "ultimate driving machines" so the ads sayLOL

Saving weight on rust proofing being a rallye eh?? Lol
Yeah glad to get it done so I know she good for a few years yet.

Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 21:57
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
The Peugeot 306 definitely fares better than the BMW E46 - seen quite a few of those with crumbling arches. I've heard rumours the Rallyes don't have as much paint on the underside and engine bay as GTI-6s. I don't know as I've never owned a 6. I caught mine at the right time - the only rust holes were as a result of jacking damage and so were localised. But given a few more years it would have been a different story. The rust protection is actually pretty good, with most panels galvanised, but the zinc galvanising gets used up eventually and then the steel rusts. Any car subjected to long wet winters living outside and having salt sprayed up its nether regions won't last forever. The salt keeps the metal wet for months at a time. I'd suggest you get some cavity wax inside the box sections and sills as well.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 22:05
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Thats on the to do list tomorrow as a bit of the box section is being welded then then bay is getting the works.
thanks for the advice. Iv still to the do the sills and boot floor soon!!

Posted 10th Feb 2014 at 22:31

Pages (10): 1 [2] 3 .. last