displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Dead battery
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I only use the car at weekends and since the cold weather has kicked in the battery seems to have no go every bloody weekend.

The car used to fire up as soon as i turn the key but since i have supercharged it, it can take a couple of mins to start. When the battery is low it just kills itself.

Anyhow I just got a new battery for it.

I just did an amp check by removing the earth and putting my multimeter inline. Car was locked and alarmed at the time. My readings were 0.11-0.16 on the 10A setting of the mutlimeter.

When i first put it on it reads 4.16 but then instantly drops to the above figure.
I have disconnected the alarm and the amp in the boot but readings are the same suggesting they are not causing a draw.
Not sure if this is good or not?

When i connected the multimeter inbetween the earth and the battery the starter motor solenoid clicks and engages the flywheel but does not try and start the car? Is that right?

Any ideas???

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 11:45
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Anyone?

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 11:46
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Is it turning over slowly?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 11:50
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Depends on the battery. If I leave the car for 5 or 6 days its quite slow but if I get it going and drive it, the next day it turns over fast.

Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 11:54
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
You need to drive the car and then park it up, wait a couple of hours and check the battery voltage - write it down in full.
Then the next day, check the battery voltage again. If it has dropped by more than 0.05v from the day before then either the battery is shot or you have a drain going on. As you say the battery is now new, I suspect you will have a drain if you find the battery reading dropping by more than that per day.

Do you have a fancy head unit installed, or any other aftermarket devices? If so, whip the fuse out for them and see what the battery voltage readings are over the next few days. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 1st Feb 2014 at 14:15