displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Phase 3 fuses??
tedrick

Post #1
I have a problem that I don't seem to be able to find an answer for FAQ's.

My battery is being drained when the car stands overnight. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to electrics so I got my local, and usually reliable, automotive electrics people to have a look.

After an hour or so of investigation they said the Radio was faulty and needed to be replaced as it was due to that the battery was draining.

I managed to find a replacement head unit on e-bay and installed it yesterday . Unfortunately the battery again drained completely overnight.

It is going back to the automotive electrics people tomorrow for a further look.

In the meantime, I understand that there are 2 possible positions for the radio fuse on the Phase 2 fuse-board, one of which is power on all the time and the other needs the ignition key turned partly to send power to the HU.

I can't find any reference to a similar arrangement for a phase 3 fuse-board.

Is anyone able to help with a bit more info on this? Bearing in mind that the car is to be looked at again tomorrow (Thursday) it would help if I had some help by then!

Many thanks

Ted
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 16:29
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If the shunt fuse was in the other position, the radio would stay on after you have turned the car off and removed the key. If it doesn't do this, the fuse is correct.
Do you have a multimeter? if so, remove the battery negative terminal, set your meter to amps and put it inline with the battery and negative terminal (DO NOT start the car or even switch the ignition on otherwise you will probably melt the meter. Most are only rater to 10a if your lucky!) and with the car off and locked, see what reading you get (should be well under 1a). Unplug bits one by one starting with aftermarket stuff like HUs, amps etc and see if any of these make your reading drop dramatically. If so, thats your problem.
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 16:53
tedrick

Post #3
Hi Niall

Yes, the radio does stay on without the ignition being on. That is why I'm asking if there are 2 positions for the fuse in the phase 3 box.

The electrics people have already done the check you are suggesting which is what led them to point the finger at the HU. There is no after-market stuff fitted at all, the car is completely standard.

Ted
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 17:02
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Ok in which case, you will find the shunt fuse (Solid white plastic iirc) has 3 holes for the 2 pins. move it to the other position and give it a go after that.
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 17:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
this is definately your problem....

your alarm siren box (under front passenger wing) has its own integral battery thats "unreplacable"

once this gets knackered its will drain your main battery.

buy a new one, second hand units are likely to be the same state or close to.

to check this is definately ur problem just disconnect it and see if the problems gone

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 17:57
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
jimmyhackers wrote:
this is definately your problem....

your alarm siren box (under front passenger wing) has its own integral battery thats "unreplacable"

once this gets knackered its will drain your main battery.

buy a new one, second hand units are likely to be the same state or close to.

to check this is definately ur problem just disconnect it and see if the problems gone

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 18:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #7
I think I have a similar issue on mine although nowhere near as bad. Mine is kept on a battery tender, but if I take the tender off for 5-6 days and then check battery voltage, it's down to around 12.5v. It could be that or the battery is getting knackered, it is 7 years old now.

As for your issue Ted, I agree with the alarm siren diagnosis.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Jan 2014 at 21:35
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
stan_306gti6 wrote:

As for your issue Ted, I agree with the alarm siren diagnosis.

i think thats the first time anyones ever done that

my cockles are warmed Big grin

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 17th Jan 2014 at 17:40