displaying posts 1 to 25 of 26

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Where to get alcantara
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
As per the title, has anyone managed to find any suppliers that stock alacantara that matches that used in 306s? I've been looking and can find several online stockists that stock materials that *look* like they might match but it's hit and miss unless you pay for loads of samples etc. It's also not the cheapest of materials.

Surely someone has bought some at some point?
I suppose one option is waiting until people are getting rid of rear seats although that's not really ideal.

Thanks

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 13:47
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Contact your local retrimming place. When i was going to get my drivers seat repaired, they were going to order in a load of samples to match it up and then order the correct one to repair it. Its not cheap though. They wanted £110 just for the alcantara for the drivers seat. They did say that there was good imitation ones out there but they might start to show a few years down the line. All depends on how long you're going to have the car really!
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 11:24
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I don't want it for the seats, I was thinking of wrapping a few smaller interior components in it so wear wouldn't really be an issue as long as it matched the seats in colour and texture.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 11:29
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Just get the bits flocked
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 12:51
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
IMO flock won't match anything else in the interior and won't look that great unless I actually get the whole dash done. I'd like a flocked dash but don't have the money for it. There's a guy on 306oc who flocks parts but wouldn't the odd flocked bit look out of place?

I was thinking of doing the a-pillars as I have the horrible grey ones and possibly some other bits to match. The only other material that might match is the felt on the doorcards. It might even be possible to wrap a dash without completely removing it?

I've ordered a sample of all colours of imitation stuff from an ebay seller for 99p delivered so we'll see if any of those match.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 13:58
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
In which case, just get some faux suede. Thats what i have my roof lining in and used to have the doors in but i did a rather poor job of it. Was a almost perfect match to the seats.
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 15:11
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I've ordered a sample of this.

If one turns out to be a good match I'll probably get some of that as it seems quite reasonably priced.

As you've tried using it before, any specific tips or things to avoid when wrapping things? I'd have thought doing so with spray adhesive and taking my time shouldn't be too difficult?

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 15:54
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Ive learnt after doing a few things its all about the quality of the material. I did my roof lining in my 1.8 in black with really cheap stuff and it was a right bas**rd to get round the curves and all shrunk back after a few days especially around the sun visors. Did the one in my GTi in purple and the material was much better. Without blowing my own trumpet, you wouldn't know that it wasn't done professionally!

My advice is the start on the biggest flattest surface from the middle. Use proper car upholstery spray glue (normal stuff from DIY shops isn't up to the job!) and spray the material and what its going on. Leave 30 seconds to go tacky then stick down working out from the middle of the flat surface. use something to roll it on (i found a wallpaper edge roller to be good) but only lightly. This is just to get rid of any bubbles.
When you get near edges, do it a tiny bit at a time and if your getting to sharp corners or edges, work it bit by bit with your thumbs. Try doing one big bit and it will be full of creases and bubbles.
Always overlap some. Never think you can get away with cutting edges neatly because over time, it will shrink slightly and finally when cutting, use a pair of scissors and not a stanley knife because it won't be sharp enough. If you can't get scissors in there, use a new single sided blade.

Its all down to how much time you take with it and don't go mad with the glue to start with. Do it bit by bit as it dries out quickly.
If your covering over old cloth (e.g roof lining), i suggest spraying the whole thing with spray glue and leaving over night to dry. The old fabric will try and soak up the glue so if you can prep it like this, you have more of a chance of the second layer of glue to really stick.
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 16:02
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Thanks a lot for the advice!

I don't think I'll be doing the roof lining, I can imagine gravity is quite harsh on your finish if you don't do a proper job on that.

I was thinking of doing a pillars and other little bits like interior wing mirror covers, and maybe doing the dash if other parts go well and it seems alright to do in situ.

Won't be covering over any fabric I don't think.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 16:14
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Roof lining is easy. The proper glue is good for 120 degrees before it starts melting so you won't have to worry in the summer. Providing you get good coverage and prep it first, its no worries to do it!
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 16:33
hugovox

Junior User

Post #11
Hi mate, i bought some in:

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/

i use it to replace the fabric at the doorcards, they sell also the glue wich is very good.
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 16:41
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
hugovox wrote:
Hi mate, i bought some in:

http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/

i use it to replace the fabric at the doorcards, they sell also the glue wich is very good.

Hi, thanks.
I don't think I'll splash out on genuine though as it doesn't need to be wear-resistant and it's far too expensive!

Niall wrote:
Roof lining is easy. The proper glue is good for 120 degrees before it starts melting so you won't have to worry in the summer. Providing you get good coverage and prep it first, its no worries to do it!

I'm not fussed about the roof lining to be honest, just want to cover the ugly a-pillars. A whole dash would be great though.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 16:52
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I did consider trying to do the entire dash but i would only want to do it on a spare one in case i f**k it up. Think it should make the interior a fair bit nicer
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:03
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Niall wrote:
Contact your local retrimming place

Which local retrimming place do you use Niall?

Just Drive It
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:06
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Yeah I probably won't end up being that ambitious to be honest. Too much of an effort removing bits to do it for now as well really.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:10
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
rallyestyle wrote:
Niall wrote:

I never actually got any work done by them as i fitted my RX8 seats instead but these were the guys i spoke to. Very helpful

http://www.surreytrimming.co.uk
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:12
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Niall wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:
Niall wrote:

I never actually got any work done by them as i fitted my RX8 seats instead but these were the guys i spoke to. Very helpful

http://www.surreytrimming.co.uk

Thanks buddy Thumbs up

The drivers seat in my Rallye has seen better days (like most) and could do with fixing up at some point Yes

I do like your RX8 seats though, just part of me is screaming out to keep the Rallye as original as possible Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:32
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Yeah id like to have the standard seats back in but being 6ft5, i just can't get on with them. Just get terrible back pains after a few miles.
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 17:40
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Niall wrote:
Yeah id like to have the standard seats back in but being 6ft5, i just can't get on with them. Just get terrible back pains after a few miles.

That's interesting, im a couple of mm's shy of 6ft5 and i have never really had an issue with the Rallye seats, done a fair few long journeys including a hafty stint to the Ring and back. Not had a 6 before though and i know the seats do differ slightly Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 18:01
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Could just be the way i sit and the lack of lumber support (i know the GTi seats have it but its s**te lol) but i find the RX8 seats much better. Much comfier and much better when cornering. You don't end up on the passengers lap or hanging onto the wing mirror lol
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 18:13
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I always get an achy lower back, no matter what I do with the windy wheel on the side of the seat.

My old 106 had really, really soft seats that were actually amazingly comfortable on both long and short journeys.

Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 19:37
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
RetroPug wrote:
I always get an achy lower back, no matter what I do with the windy wheel on the side of the seat.

My old 106 had really, really soft seats that were actually amazingly comfortable on both long and short journeys.

Yeah same as that i had 106 Rallye seats in my old 106 and they were very comfy. Just a shame about the rest of the car LOL
Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 19:40
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Mine were colour-coded to the floor mats and the blue of the car as well as being supremely comfortable. I'm sure they'd have folded like cardboard in a crash though!

Posted 29th Dec 2013 at 00:56
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Bit of a revival.
Does anyone have any links to faux suede that is a good match for the std. alcantara?
I ordered a sample in January but none of them were a good match.

Posted 28th Apr 2014 at 16:28
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
If its for smaller pieces why don't you just cut up some rear seats, everyone just usually ends up chucking these out or giving them away.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 28th Apr 2014 at 17:18

Pages (2): [1] 2