displaying posts 51 to 75 of 80

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Water leak in my lovely gti6 sieve
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Stan I have a set in the garage which I know we're good when I removed them.
I have my first day off tomorrow so may get cracking with them tommorrow.

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 12:21
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Richs shell should be available before I go to Afghan, if I wasn't going i would offer to help you swap everything over and if your prepared to wait until I'm back we can do it all at mine over a weekend easily, I just feel guilty mate
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 12:24

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
Can do mate?

Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 12:32
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #54
A re-shell should solve the issue, I just hope you actually find out why it's doing it so if it happens to anyone else in the future, they have a reference point to start from.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 13:00
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #55
A reshell to solve a water leak Erm?

It's either a cut and shut, hole as mentioned or a 15 year old perished seal. A hosepipe and visual test to pinpoint the area and do what it takes to eliminate it will be much less work than reselling your bloody car.

I can fully understand how these things are frustrating and are enough to make you want rid to save the hassle, but from reading the thread you've admitted you've not spent a great deal of time looking into it, so chin up and when you've an hour free try every conceivable area and you'll find it eventually. Nothing a cheap fix won't sort Smile

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 13:30

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
    I understand Dan and the fact that Ollie has agreed to have look with me on Sunday as I've had plenty of help so far from him so I'll see if that we can solves it. Just seems that there is an awful lot of water for a simple leak? A reshell to save the original car of the charger kits was on my mind for a long time if I'm honest.If it does happen I'll be a very happy and will keep the car indefinitely.

Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 13:36
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
    Just whip the door cards off and make sure them covers aren't missing/torn! Since we figured out thats what was happening to my mates, I've seen loads that are doing this!
    Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 13:54
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #58
    Water always spreads and looks worse than it is unfortunately. You've only got to be over zealous with a spoon stirring your brew and that ring of builders helps itself to a full sheet of Plenty.

With the windy persistent rain you've also no doubt had, water will make it's way into areas it perhaps hasn't before.

I had a horrific looking leak once which resulted in the passenger rear footwell getting sodden. It was in fact the seam from the rear quarter to the panel below the boot which had seperated and water ran down and naturally went to the lowest point. Wasn't a huge opening either.

Whip your scuttle panel off and get some water poured in there incase the seal around the heater box has gone. That's what my money would be on.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 14:00
    honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
    I know its a different car but my brothers mk2 golf had the same issue as you, masses of water in the footwells....it all stemmed from the plastic shields behind the door cards deteriorating. Once he resealed them with new sheeting, problem solved.

Having said that, my gti6 drivers door had no plastic seal on whatsoever and it never leaked, the door seals were too in a bad state, but she never leaked.

I cant see how it can be door seals from the amount of water you seem to be having.

My money would be as dangti6 says, somewhere the water is getting through the bulk head.
    Chin up though, I know how it can be a massive arse to find issues like this, but you will get there Thumbs up

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
    Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 14:05
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
    honestly3k wrote:

I cant see how it can be door seals from the amount of water you seem to be having.

My money would be as dangti6 says, somewhere the water is getting through the bulk head.
    Chin up though, I know how it can be a massive arse to find issues like this, but you will get there Thumbs up

This was my mates rear footwell from the lack of door seal

And that was one night of heavy rain LOL
    Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 14:38

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
    I actually am now convinced it's the door plastic. the seals I'm going to replace with the ones I have in my garage tommorrow. and I'm hoping that nail will send me he plastic sheeting v soon. still need a matrix replacement though.

Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 14:46
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
    I will as soon as i have the money LOL
    Ill be seeing him tomorrow so will get them cut up and packaged ready to put in the post Thursday. PM me your address mate.
    Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 14:48

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
    Money sent, I have tried pouring water downs the bulkhead. I've sealed up the one hole that had been run for an amp cable. no water was passing bulkhead side to inside the car.

Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 15:43
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
    superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
    Money sent, I have tried pouring water downs the bulkhead. I've sealed up the one hole that had been run for an amp cable. no water was passing bulkhead side to inside the car.

Just another thing to try, in the recess where the wiper motor is, above the massive plug is a bolt for the dash. Mine was weeping here slightly where the recess had filled up with leaves and muck and was holding water. Cleared it all out and put a bead of sealant around the bolt and it hasn't done it since.
    Posted 31st Dec 2013 at 15:45
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
    the inner front door membrane seals on my mondeo had the slightest leak, the membrane was intact but ad come unstuck slightly and it literally drenched the floor front and back with an inch or two.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 1st Jan 2014 at 10:58

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
    Guys development is there supposed to be a clear sheet of plastic over the whole inner door? just wondering as mine has nothing?

Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 17:34
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
    Yep, it only goes half way down tho iirc
    Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 17:47
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
    Yes there should, can't rember if it's plastic or like a grey foam on these

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 17:48
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
    Plastic sheet, it sits under the inner seal then goes down inside the skin and a little tab is stuck through one of the holes in the skin half way down the door
    Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 17:51

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
    Mine has no seals at all. Like nothing would this be causing water to get in? Just I have new bits of foam to go over the window motors and I've got some foam to go behind the speakers. Just mine on both sides is literally just apiece of metal with a door card bolted on at the door handle?

Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 18:12

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
    Does anyone have any pics of a door with no door card on? would really let me get my head around what is missing in my door?
    Thanks Guys

Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 18:03
    pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
    I'll go take s pic of one of the silver ones mate, my grey car was as you described and I had water in my car due to that
    Posted 10th Jan 2014 at 18:28
    mellowr1

Senior User

Post #73
    i still say its the foam seals over door inner panel/speaker and the small clear sheet behind speaker. thats what mine was and after replacing it has not leaked since

mellowr1 has attached the following image:

Posted 18th Jan 2014 at 15:04
    mellowr1

Senior User

Post #74
    another pic. there should be foam bits over the rear triangular and square holes and a small square plastic sheet that fits between door card plastic and the speaker foamThumbs up

mellowr1 has attached the following image:

Posted 18th Jan 2014 at 15:07
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
    mik wrote:
    Depends on your definition of 'waterproof'. The membrane stops water that runs through the door soaking into the door card and leaking into the interior. If damaged or missing due to ham fisted stereo installations or other bodged repair the car will leak. Guaranteed.

FFS several people suggested this on page 1, but you have only now decided to check it out 2 pages later LOL .

I've fixed 2 cars with similar leaks of 2" deep water in the footwell, it is very common for speaker installers or panelbeaters to not refit these bits, as they lose or damage them on removal, and can't be @r$ed refitting them as time is money. In both my cases, after installing a new membrane using builders plastic sheet and black nasty, the leaks magically stopped. If you fit it carefully making sure it is sealed all the way around, it is cheaper buying overpriced pieces of plastic sheet from the dealer, but every bit as effective.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Jan 2014 at 18:30

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4