displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: An electrical problem at Christmas!
tedrick

Post #1
Season's Greetings to all,

I wonder if anyone can help with an electrical problem?

Gti-6 '99 on a V. Came home after straightforward 60 mile journey locked the car as usual no prob.

Next day blipper did not work had to use the key but found that central locking was not working either, had to unlock passenger door with key also. No instruments are functioning, no clock or outside temperature gauge but like the odometer there is a glow when the ignition is on. All warning lights appear to work and car seems to run OK.

I have taken out and checked every fuse and they are all fine. As some of you will know, I am a bit of a decrepit old bloke and can't work much on the car myself any more but a few helpful hints would enable me to perhaps point a helpful mate in the right direction!

Happy Christmas to all.

Ted
Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 14:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
It will be a fuse Ted. Yes

This problem has occurred before, from memory it's a 5A fuse in the fusebox. Have you electrically tested all the fuses or just looked "by eye"?

I can 99.9% guarantee a blown fuse is your issue. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 14:56
tedrick

Post #3
Thanks Stan. Just 'tested by eye' as I don't have a meter here. I do have spare fuses though so I can test by substitution.

Here's hoping, I'll let you know!

Ted
Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 15:13
tedrick

Post #4
Stan! You are as ever (almost) completely right! Thumbs up

However, (there is always an however) as soon as I used the blipper to lock the car the new fuse blew. Thumbs down

Any suggestions (apart from sell the damned thing)!

Ted
Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 15:27
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
For the fuse to blow the current must be too high at the precise moment you activate the locking.

This would happen if less resistance was found than there should be. I suspect (most likely) that there is wiring in the door loom (normally in the door shut section) which has partly broken and is now connecting directly to an earth (car body) creating too much current and blowing the fuse.

I suspect it will be the driver's door loom which is the issue as this is the one used most. Yes

You will have to strip back the protective outer tube and inspect the wires inside. Sad

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 24th Dec 2013 at 16:20