displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: Bodytone - Warfield, Berkshire. DO NOT USE
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Sorry its taken so long to write this thread.

Ok so back in August this year my car was parked up at work as usual and the company Mondeo was parked up next to it. A clumsy colleague opened the door and did this....

Anyway, long story short, the company agreed to pay the repair costs for that panel via purchase order and I took it as an opportunity to have a few other things tarted up whilst it was in the bodyshop. The company wanted me to choose 3 bodyshops to get quotes from for cost comaprison purposes with a view to choosing one and makiing the purchase order for that company.

Regrettably, I decided on using the services of s**t tone Bodytone in Binfield Bodytone Clicky. They quoted a reasonable price, the premises looked reasonable for an independent bodyshop and the manager Tony seemed like a friendly chap.

They quoted around £470 to deal with just the offside rear quarter panel which had additional dents to remove not only the one caused by my careless colleague. I thought that was a fair estimate. I then asked for additional work to be carried out at the same time but for payment to be made by me in cash. The extra work to be carried out was as follows:

1. Prepare and paint the strip of metal between the rear bumper and light clusters because of a small dent and scratches.
2. Prepare and paint rear bumper. Massage out a small dent in the process.
3. Prepare and paint the lower part of the passenger side door because of rust caused by a previous poor spray job.

For this we agreed on £250 cash on top.

Before the car went in I was very specific with Tony to tell him I expected nothing less than the colour to match the original paint and he said he would see to it that it would be done. I also told him to take his time and not rush because I wanted it done properly. I also offered to give him the paint code so they could obtain the right paint.

So the car goes in late August and 3 days later I get a phone call to pick up so I head down Friday afternoon after work. The cars parked up in the shade so I move it into the orange afternoon sunshine, which isn't ideal conditions, to inspect the work. All the dents have been removed perfectly from what I could see and other than a small area of orange peel on the lower part of the passenger door and a small run on an inconspicuous area of the bumper I pay and drive the car home.

Anyway when I get home and park the car in some good light I see this...

If you look closely and compare the boot lid (original paint ) to the offside quarter panel (new) you can see this is a completely different colour. Not only is the base colour black much darker than the original, in all their virtue they've decided to add a load of purple glitter which gave a horrendous 2 tone colour when you caught the light correctly. Together with this and some rather disgraceful holidays and runs I found on the bumper and overspray literally everywhere on other panels, windows and on the interior, I emailed s**ttone Bodytone to complain and requested politely that they should do this again as the colour match was so bad. I was expecting a bit of resistance here. The job was average at best in many areas and my initial impression was that they were going to try and mug me off. Fortunately they asked me to bring the car in so their 'paint guy' could have a look. Id already emailed the picture you've seen above and asked what more is there to discuss but they were adamant they wanted to inspect it themselves so I drove it in.

This was a comical experience. Imagine two bodgers who think all the punters know very little and you have some idea of the scenario here. Tony (the manager, who had a permanent smug grin on his face) and they're 'paint guy' (who looked like side show bob out of the Simpsons) both came out to inspect the paint with this 'heatgun light' which looked like it could have been the contents of a Morrisons Christmas cracker. They both stood there and looked at the paint with this mickey mouse light and both said 'we cant see any problem'. Dumbstruck for a moment I then pulled out my phone torch and went close with it and said your telling me you cant see any glitter in that paint? The next excuse was 'oh the whole cars been resprayed though'. Erm no I've owned the car for 8 years mate and a friend before that. I know exactly what's been resprayed and what's original. Tell you what mate have a good look round in all the door reveals and under the bonnet and tell me where the respray has been blended in to the original? The next excuse was 'well we looked for the paint code but we couldn't find it'. My reply was obvious, I asked you if you needed the paint code didn't I Tony, why didnt you phone me you have my number? Next excuse ' yeah but it isn't in the usual place'? Listen mate i've been a forum member for 8 years I can tell you that hundreds of 306's ran off the production line with the paint code on a sticker on the nearside strut.

It was excuse after excuse after excuse. They did finally admit it was wrong and to do it again though. I showed them the paint code and I stood in they're office and said if they did it well this time around Id be happy to recommend them on the forum, send them repeat business and use them again etc.

So the car goes in again for what was supposed to be another 3 days. After a week goes by with no phone call i get on the phone. Oh apparently the car was finished days ago and someone should have called me! Yeah thanks Tony you tosspot. So I head down there to find this (a picture taken at a later date).........

See the lower part of the passenger door and how different the colour is to the rest of the car? They removed all the old paint with glitter in and sprayed it again in the wrong colour black It looks even worse on the other side. So my options were to throw my toys out the pram (which doesn't end well) or just cut my losses so I just drove off very upset in the end.

The job on the whole is s**t. They never actually bothered to remove the rear bumper but instead sprayed with it in place, both times. Holidays and runs on the paint on the bumper, orange peel on the passenger door by the trim, spots of debris in the paint on the rear quarter panel, horrendously blended in on the front drivers side door just above the wing mirror where I don't even think they bothered to prepare it, just sprayed lacquer over the original paint. No attempt to even blend into the reveals on the drivers door it looks gash. Round the boot lid they taped right up close to the edge of the panel (in the boot reveal) and just yanked it off after lacquering leaving a thick rough line of lacquer which will start to deteriorate and peel over the visible part on the outside of the panel. Overspray everywhere which will take hours to remove with clay and polish. A real pikey job.Farmer

The most worrying thing is when I wash and leather with my synthetic chamois, when I dry over what they've done, my chamois starts to turn black a little so its questionable if they even applied enough lacquer in places.

Ive written this to warn other people who might be thinking of using this company. DONT. You will get a s**t job done guaranteed from my personal experience. Id rather chew my own arm of than send any of my vehicles there in future.

This is what they left between boot lid and panel.

This was there when I picked it up both times.

Bodytone Clicky

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 13th Jul 2015 at 17:22
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Fair play they've done a shocking job of that, It's always going to be hard to get it 100% against old paint but that's no where near.

Feel sorry for you and to be honest I'd be tempted to take it further and try and recoup the outlay, I know It's hassle but that's just not on leaving your car like that. Good on you for posting up and warning others though.

Ryan
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 19:22
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
ryangti6 wrote:
Fair play they've done a shocking job of that, It's always going to be hard to get it 100% against old paint but that's no where near.

Feel sorry for you and to be honest I'd be tempted to take it further and try and recoup the outlay, I know It's hassle but that's just not on leaving your car like that. Good on you for posting up and warning others though.

The last company I used got it spot on colour match wise but the spray job wasnt great. Theres much holidays in the paint years down the line. It is poor isnt it. I was gutted to be honestSad

Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 19:31
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I feel your pain mate i,ve just had a bad experience myself from a body shop , I think I'm going to rat look or my cars from now has a would never trust another body shop again .

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 19:34
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
The thing is I dont mind paying for a good job. Even when you tell them you want a good job they just do what they normally do. Fact of the matter is id love for a bodyshop owner to say right add another 200 quid on to that quote and we'll make it nice. There is no option at Bodytone so it seems where the options are you can have a s**t job, a s**t job or a s**t job.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:22
rikky 🦔

Post #6
this reminds me of painting my china blue gti6, the pearlescent was impossible to match as the direction it's sprayed from factory will differ thus it'll never match (i was told)

sorry to hear this though. i'd fight it still though

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:38
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
rikky wrote:
this reminds me of painting my china blue gti6, the pearlescent was impossible to match as the direction it's sprayed from factory will differ thus it'll never match (i was told)

Thats fair enough but my paint is plain black non metallic?

Any reasonable spray shop can match whats already there. The bodyshop in Reading I used a few years ago got it matched perfectly.

What Bodytone have done here is a disgrace. Did you see what they left in the boot reveal? I'd sooner have left it to a bunch of chimps to spray Farmer bunch of pikeys. It feels like im driving around in noddys car especially in the sunshine it looks horrendous Angry

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:41
rikky 🦔

Post #8
yeah sorry i typed that thinking it was an astor or something but that's poor. add "DO NOT USE" to your thread title for google reasons Smile

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:43
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #9
You mention Holidays a couple of times. Auto correct or am I missing something?

Personally I have never ever seen a paint job from a bodyshop that I'd be happy with. When you have original paint and bodyshop paint on the same car it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I can't see your pictures but I can imagine what it's like.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:46
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    I thought from the title Bodytone was the new Herbalife.

As said matching old and new is hard at best of times but they really tested themselves with that.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 13:51
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    dangti6 wrote:
    You mention Holidays a couple of times. Auto correct or am I missing something?

It means there are small lines in the paint where the colour coat is sprayed to thick or the panel hasnt been degreased properly after preparation. Or a combination of the two. I'll try and add more pics of mine next time I give it a wash.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 20:31
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    thugpuggin wrote:
    As said matching old and new is hard at best of times but they really tested themselves with that.

Difficult? A little maybe. Its not rocket science. The last back street garage I used managed it perfectly!

I put it to you that zero effort was made with regard to colour matching here. If there was then the 'paint guy' is retarded.

If I was working at this company producing results like this I would be ashamed to be honest.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 14:08
    webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    Shocking to see such work, have you handed over cash for this?

cress87 wrote:
    I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 18:22
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    webster wrote:
    Shocking to see such work, have you handed over cash for this?

Unfortunately yes. Only £250 of my cash. My company paid the lions share. This is why I took it on the chin after the second failure. I certainly didnt want them working on the car again but raising a dispute would have pulled the company into it and relations were becoming difficult with a few people because of this incident. I was a contracter just about to ask for a full time job. This would have gone down like a lead fart.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:09
    webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    Can't you demand a refund? If someone had essentially ruined my car i'd be livid.

cress87 wrote:
    I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:22
    Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    My 205 cost me £1800 to get it back has a shell with a heap of broken parts in the boot that they must off removed with a hammer and aload of missing engines parts that apparaently werent on there despite the fact i drove it there !!

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:25
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
    webster wrote:
    Can't you demand a refund? If someone had essentially ruined my car i'd be livid.

This is always a difficult thing for me. Theres been times in the past where things needed to be said on other matters not to similar to this one.

For me personally its about self preservation. I was livid. Distraught even. Theres many things I would have liked to say to Tony and his band of merry men but it would have escalated by they're arrogance and ended up with me going to prison.

My best option at that point was to call it a day.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:30
    webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    Understandable, there must be something you can do though, unfair to essentially let them get away with it.

Trading standards perhaps?

cress87 wrote:
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:41
    jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    Shocking mate but its so hard to get a colour match on a old faded black pug.. I had my drivers door blown over and repaired after it got broke in to and that was black!! Paint was good but in sunshine stuck out like a sore thumb

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:46
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    webster wrote:
    Understandable, there must be something you can do though, unfair to essentially let them get away with it.

Trading standards perhaps?

Well I notice the title of the the thread is starting to come up in Google searches. I ammended the title today so it will take a day to start appearing again. But it will be visible and I doubt it will be long before they get told about this thread. Maybe they'll pay for membership and come to defend themselves like High Flow Heads did LOL

I doubt it though. I just got the impression they really couldn't care less. Whatever.

Doing this thread has made me feel angry againAngry but the fact its here and visible to the public is making it a little easier.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:48
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    jimmyrallye wrote:
    its so hard to get a colour match

I dont agree im afraid. Ive had many spray jobs done on cars. Subtle differences are understandable. What this comapny have done is a disgrace.

My job is very hard. But i do it to a good standard nonetheless. Difficult isnt an excuse for impossible.

jimmyrallye wrote:
    Paint was good but in sunshine stuck out like a sore thumb

This is the main problem. Direct sunshine makes it look stupid. Whatever though, I keep on telling myself its a 12 year old french hatch back and to not worry about it. This is after all one of the reasons why I choose to drive an old car.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 19:59
    webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Any body shop that doesn't even remove the rear bumper to prep + spray are cowboys.

cress87 wrote:
    Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 20:07
    darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    webster wrote:
    Any body shop that doesn't even remove the rear bumper to prep + spray are cowboys.

Yes Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 20:17