displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Idle Issue
Fellows

Junior User

Post #1
Sorry to post this, as I'm sure it's been done to death many a time. But I'm struggling a bit...

Basically, the car won't idle from start up. It just drops off and dies. Drive the car around a bit, and eventually it will idle.

I had the same problem a while ago, and checked the ICV (which looked brand new - resistance about 50ohms and o-ring fine). I got around the issue a few times by doing an ECU reset, but changing the fuel pump cured the problem (as I thought).

Today, completely out of the blue, it did it again. The only thing that has changed is the exhaust, which I have taken back to standard from a Magnex. I can't really see that this would affect the idle though?

I'm just about to do another ECU reset, but have a feeling even if it works it will be temporary.

Reading some other posts, I see the PAS sensor can cause issues, but it doesn't seem strictly relevant to this situation. I'm prepared to be told otherwise though...!

As always, any help appreciated.
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 11:51
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
I'm voting either lambda sensor starting to play up or the PAS sensor going bad.

Unplug the PAS sensor first and then see what happens after you drive around.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 12:11
Fellows

Junior User

Post #3
Will do, and thanks for the response.

A little more info - tried the reset, and failed utterly (which may be a good thing. Having it consistently stall should at least show clearly when its fixed).

I've pulled the PAS sensor off, but now the battery is dead! No doubt as a result of so many starts and no proper chance for a run out. So I will check that later.

I take it a lambda sensor is going to be a nightmare to change, as it will probably be welded to the cat by now?
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 12:14
Fellows

Junior User

Post #4
Ok, I've just tried the car with the PAS sensor unplugged, and it made no difference. It can't idle at all. Just dies as soon I take my foot off of the throttle. I also have to give it a few revs to make it catch properly.

When it is running, and at constant throttle (about 1k revs) it hunts by up to around 200revs. Does this sound like a lambda problem?

Thanks
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 14:25
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
Either lambda or ICV will most likely be the issue there. It sounds more like an ICV issue personally.

Whip it out and give it a quick clean then see how it behaves afterwards.
Report back the results. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 16:09
Fellows

Junior User

Post #6
Will do - last time I did it looked really clean, but I couldn't move it. Is that normal?
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 16:16
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #7
Yes, it's a solenoid so won't just move on it's own.

Seeing as it's a quick job and it's free to do it's worth doing first to eliminate it.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 16:36
Fellows

Junior User

Post #8
Fair enough. Cheers for staying with me!

I've just taken it off. Looks clean but I've just given it some WD40 and I'll pop it back in later. There is a fair bit of slop on the shaft though.

Sadly I couldn't check the coils as my multimeter has just given up on life. Not my day it would seem!
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 16:41
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Cleaning the icv may not help best just get a new one ! They are funny things when they start to give up on life
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 17:02
Fellows

Junior User

Post #10
Just tried the ICV after a clean and reset, and it idles fine again.

I think I'm in the market for a new ICV now which is a pain - but at least it looks like the problem has been identified which is good.

All the help has been appreciated.
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 15:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #11
No problem, glad you're getting somewhere with it. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 17:49