displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Which way do I face it ?
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #1
Right guys, I got my twin subwoofer in the boot and want to know which way to face it to get the best sound or doesn't it matter, at the moment I got the subs facing the boot, but my mate said it should be facing the rear seats as the sound will be kept in the car, so just want your opinion guys which way is better for the sub and sound, cheers guys look forward to your verdict lol
Posted 12th Dec 2013 at 23:28
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Facing the boot as you have it as it also uses the boot as a box which is what I have always believed
Posted 12th Dec 2013 at 23:47
Pug bazza

Regular

Post #3
Yes I thought that's to as it should Bounce of the boot back in to the car hope I got it right
Posted 13th Dec 2013 at 00:10
Invandrare

Post #4
The best placement for a sub-woofer is as you probably guessed, not the most practical. So a little trade-off is required.
The most practical is to have it close to the back seats (the actual direction, 'in or out' is always a good pub debate) as this is an efficient use of space.
...but the best place is to have it facing the back of the car, close to the rear wall. This does, as mentioned make things difficult getting stuff in and out of your boot.
If you're an audiophile, where you lob your shopping in the car isn't going to be at the top of your driving agenda.

Here's an interesting video from some trusting chaps to explain what I wrote.
Crutchfield Audio
Posted 10th Sep 2014 at 22:21
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Or up, but that's no good if you are using 6X9's
Posted 11th Sep 2014 at 07:22
Invandrare

Post #6
anth wrote:
Or up, but that's no good if you are using 6X9's

Up is only a good idea if the speaker is designed to be laid on it's back. Most are designed to be upright, as they don't have to work against gravity. Laying a normal sub on it's back will lose quite a bit of it's 'oomph'Sad

But I agree they will cause any large (I mean anything over 3"Wink parcel shelf speakers sound a little odd.
Posted 13th Sep 2014 at 22:55
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The box the sub is in is the key. Also I wouldn't run any speakers on the parcel shelf if running subs. Been there done that blah blah

Oh and a good amp and bin is key to good sound so none of that fli s**te
Posted 13th Sep 2014 at 23:06
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
whatever you do, "Aphex twin - IZ US" is a must to be played on said woofers.

i remeber feeling that song kick right through me when i sat in my back seats and listened to it at full blast.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 6th Oct 2014 at 18:33