displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Gearbox problems after engine rebuild
si_batt

Post #1
Hi chaps,

So after having done a full engine rebuild on my 306 (XSi admittedly - sorry I know this is a GTi-6 forum) I'm having a few problems with the gearbox. A new gen Pug clutch was fitted during the rebuild and the gearbox was filled with gen Pug oil. The clutch cable, engine mounts and gear linkage rods were not replaced (i.e. original ones re-fitted).

The car is now extremely difficult to engage 1st gear, and grinds badly every time I select reverse with the engine running. However with the engine switched off, it'll slot in to 1st no problem. This was not a problem before the engine rebuild, so something has clearly changed!

Is it more likely to be the clutch not releasing properly given the fact that it engages OK with the engine off? The clutch biting point is quite low, but doesn't feel completely unreasonable. Or is it more likely that the linkage rod length needs adjusting? Or could it be something else completely?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Posted 28th Nov 2013 at 12:52
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #2
Have you fitted the clutch the right way round?
Posted 28th Nov 2013 at 13:27
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Clutch plate wrong way around or the self adjusting clutch cable not working properly.

Get someone to watch the clutch arm as you press the pedal to check you're getting full movement.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 28th Nov 2013 at 13:39
si_batt

Post #4
Well, I think I have the clutch the correct way round.

When I went to fit the clutch plate, I had a sinking feeling as I had not taken a picture of the clutch when I dismantled the old one, and wondered how I could tell which was the correct way round as the new clutch plate was not marked.

But then I offered the clutch plate up to the flywheel one side at a time and it would only fit properly one way round. The central hub of the clutch is deeper axially one side than the other, and when I offered the deep side up to the flywheel, the central hub of the clutch plate was in contact with the back of the crank, with a reasonably sizeable gap between the friction material and the flywheel. So I concluded this was definitely not correct. So I don't think I got that wrong.

I'll check the movement of the clutch arm next and see what it looks like, thanks for the advice.
Posted 28th Nov 2013 at 14:20
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
It sounds like you got the clutch the correct way round. Thumbs up

I suspect either the clutch cable adjuster has seized into the position for the old worn clutch and therefore doesn't work correctly with the new one, or the new clutch pressure plate is faulty and has snapped a spring.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Nov 2013 at 20:30