displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Respray all black exterior plastics
matt16v

Regular

Post #1
The paintwork on my car isn't great but it comes up a nice deep Diablo when she's clean, albeit dented and scratched.

The main thing that makes it look older is the god awful faded rub strips, spoiler, filler caps, scuttle panel, wiper arms and all that sort of stuff. I've tried some of the black restorer spray and that didn't last at all so I feel like I need to repaint them. I do actually like them in black as I think they accent the car quite nicely so don't want to colour code them, just a nice matte black finish. Has anyone got any links to good guides or advice for getting this kind of finish? Never sprayed anything before.

Thanks,
Matt

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 10:19
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Halfords do a plastic trim paint that leaves a good, matt, factory looking finish.

The key with anything like this is the prep work, you'll need to give them a good rub down, make 100% sure they are free from any colour restoring products (back to black etc) and use a good plastic primer as there is nothing worse than it starting to flake off.

Take your time though, do a bit of research and it's easily something you could undertake yourself. I always find plastic to be really forgiving to paint and seeing as you can remove all those bit's to paint them it should be fairly easy.

Ryan
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 11:04
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103881
Get that,
Its the f**king nuts

Thanks me later

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 11:54
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Why its the nuts
http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171448

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 11:56
matt16v

Regular

Post #5
eliotrw wrote:
Get that,
Its the f**king nuts

Thanks me later

Looks the dogs mate, thanks!

I think my wiper arms will need painting though as they are metal and the paint is gone on some of it. Are they easy to get off or am I better off masking a lot and doing it on the car?

Posted 2nd Nov 2013 at 22:08
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
They just unbolt from under the plastic covers at the bottom of the arm
Posted 2nd Nov 2013 at 22:12
Nose

Senior User

Post #7
eliotrw wrote:
Get that,
Its the f**king nuts

Thanks me later

Just been looking at this, as you say not cheap but it obviously does the job and does it VERY well. I will be investing I think. The trim around my mirrors and scuttle have obviously discoloured with age, but this stuff looks like it will bring them back to life and look natural as opposed to some of the 'back to black' products which simply cover it in silicon and make glossy. So many thanks for the link to this. Thumbs up

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 3rd Nov 2013 at 13:00
Nose

Senior User

Post #8
quote:

I think my wiper arms will need painting though as they are metal and the paint is gone on some of it. Are they easy to get off or am I better off masking a lot and doing it on the car?

What a coincidence, took my wiper arms off the car last night to have re-furbed. I know from Pug dealers they are £25 each + vat Shock so i'm going to take them to a local powder coat place down by where I work (its the same place a couple of the guys on here have had there wheels done) and see how much they want to do them.

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 3rd Nov 2013 at 13:04
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
No real need for powder coating. I've previously done wiper arms with sanding back, etch primer and VHT satin black, looked perfect and lasted for years.

For the black plastics I'll be using that stuff from Detailing World. I remember asking a good painter years ago about getting plastics painted black and he said the paint can fail due to the difficulty of getting all the silicone and other back-to-black type stuff off the plastic pieces to get the paint to stick. He advised against it, so I didn't bother.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Nov 2013 at 22:43
Nose

Senior User

Post #10
mik wrote:
No real need for powder coating. I've previously done wiper arms with sanding back, etch primer and VHT satin black, looked perfect and lasted for years.

"

Yeah did think that tbh, but took them down to the powder coaters today just to get a price, only a £10 each which tbh at that price i can't be arsed to fook around so i left them there to be done.

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 4th Nov 2013 at 19:12
Nose

Senior User

Post #11
Why has my post been added in the post lol?

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 4th Nov 2013 at 19:13
matt16v

Regular

Post #12
Nose wrote:
Why has my post been added in the post lol?

You need to take your post out of the [quote ] tags.

Just had a bit of a more thorough inspection of the car and the front wiper blades are fine and look plenty black so I'll leave those be. The rear does want some paint though. Going to order some of this stuff soon and we'll see how it goes on the plastics.

Posted 6th Nov 2013 at 08:51
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
my whole car is painted in blackboard paint..

only one coat with no surface prep whatsoever and it been on it over a year and still looking fresh.

looks awesome when it rains and goes half matt half gloss

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 7th Nov 2013 at 18:33