displaying posts 1 to 25 of 80

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Another 205 track car build!
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ive been wanting to start a project thread on my mates car for a while now so here it is...

Some of you will follow and of read my 205 2.1 16v rallye track car thread which is here http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=125344

and this 205 GTI build is becoming a pretty awesome build too and certainly worthy of a build thread Love

Around 4 years ago we went up to the midlands somewhere and came home with a really tidy 1991 graphite grey 205 Mi16 which had a few choice mods and what you would class as a tidy weekend/fun car.
At this point it wasn't really the idea to rip it apart and make it a track car but after a few choice mods the first track day soon came and went and Craig had the bug!

The lovely example of a fast road 205 MI16 soon had coil overs, Tran X plate diff, Safety devices roll cage, bucket seats and a few more mods.
It stayed in the fashion for a while and Craig started to get plenty of track days under his belt which was mainly Castle Combe or we both did a few airfield days.

The MI16 engine was the swapped to a GTi6 engine. Now for all those MI16 lovers out there I can say as a track car and running back to back MI16 and Gti6 engines the GTi6 engine is so much better in all aspects Yes

This was all a couple of years back and I don't have any pictures to hand but from here onwards I do....

The spec at this point was a properly fitted GTi6 engine, 309 running gear, Gaz coilovers, safety devices cage, Tran X diff, 2.25 Torque technique exhaust, bucket seats etc etc and already it was giving my 205 a run for its money out on track!! Shock

night before a trackday at Combe...
half way swapped from the 1.9 wheels with road tyres to the Speedlines with R888's

in the pits

Then the build really started to happen....
The car headed to Colin Satchell's workshop and had rear coilovers, front subframe and all his running gear plus a Satchshift.
Pics dont really do justice

Flash makes the underside look bad but here is the rear coilovers

and while the car was there somehow a set of Jenveys, Dta and a sandy loom was added then we took it down to Saltash and Sandy mapped the car at circa 180hp.

After collecting the car we were both itching to get out on another trackday so a local Combe on was booked up. It was going to be an interesting day, my 205 has nearly 50hp more but Craigs 205 was really well developed and the thought was his corner speed would be higher and manage to overcome the power issue down the straights.

It was a damp trackday and after a couple of easy slow shakedown laps on craigs car he started to build confidence and get used to the different driving style the car required with the new suspension.
We were correct the car had so much grip in the corners even in the damp. So much so after a couple of laps Craig was being towed back the the pits on a rope behind the recovery truck Dunno
He said it just stopped.... turns out the bottom end seized solid due to oil starvation and that was all before 10am.Sad

A Peugeot sport france baffled sump kit and a Accusump system were soon purchased and a £200 replacement GTi6 engine was soon chucked in the car after a cambelt kit was fitted.

Back up and running at French car show 2013 at Combe with the GTi6 stand

A couple more trackdays came and went, and the cheap engine wasn't as good as the previous one and a few other annoying issues started to make the car a bit unreliable. Craig wanted to strip the car down and build it up properly to what he wanted as for the last 4 years things have kept on getting added and the whole car needed a bit of love underneath.

We came across a engine that was build 5 years ago with solid lifters, cams, Wossner pistons, steel rods, balanced crank which had never been fitted and just dry stored. After a few conversations we soon had it in the back of my work truck and headed to Pug Racing for Miles to give it a strip, check and assemble but also to added the Pugsport sump, Billet flywheel and crank pulley along with a paddle clutch.
That meant without the engine to worry about we could get cracking on the car....

old Gti6 engine came out

looks a bit sorry for itself

Works Maniflow exhaust manifold and a full 2.5 Maniflow system were purchased

Gti6 calipers weren't going to cut the mustard, Now binned in favour of Hi Spec 4 pots

we found a fair bit of surface rust when the bumper came off. Craig set to work on de rusting and painting while I started getting rid of crap that wasn't required... (gti6 engine loom, ecu etc etc)

With Oulton park trackday now only 2 weeks away and myself and craig booked on we don't have much time and the lack of light now in the evenings meant we were struggling to get to work on it. We took the decision Monday to trailer it over to my work and keep it in a storage container and in the evenings move it across to the workshop.

last night we dragged it from the container and into the workshop

Back looks awesome!

front end going back together

exhaust system fitted. Just need an engine to bolt it upto

Starting to look like a car again!Big grin

near on midnight last night and the point we gave up.

Were hoping to get the nod from Miles this afternoon and collect the engine. We can then get it fitted and potentially running this evening! another late one coming up I feel....

ill keep the updated coming when they happen Cool

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:19
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Brake stealer!

Laugh

Good read mate, and looks another capable 205 Yes

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 09:59
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Looking good mate. Maybe 1day I will get out on track with you lot in the 205 Cool

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:10
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Thanks, yeah hope so mate. Pull your finger out haha

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:19
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Its out LOL just waiting on engine builder to pull his finger out and get over his man flue so he can crack on with my bottom end

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:22
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Haha we're in the same situation. Awaiting on the engine now.
Need to get it finished, down to Cornwall for mapping and a few road miles on before Oulton which is 2 weeks tomorrow!

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:25
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Always the same when you rely on other people, always takes ages. Still a hell of a lot i need to sort for mine yet, full interior, dash and chassis looms what no one seems to have!
What front suspension is he running on this? and any pics of how the rear coilovers are mounted?

Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 10:36
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Looks like the engine may be ready this afternoon. Fingers are crossed!

The Suspension is all Colin's design but basically its the following spec

406 hubs which have a screw in ball joint
Custom made wishbones.
Redesigned subframe and pickup point to achieve correct roll centre and bump steer
Revised steering rack which uses rose joint track rod ends
Gaz coil overs, not sure what lb springs were used
Rear beam revised to allow coil overs to be fitted, turrets are welded into the arches

Lots of R and D by Colin and he has been devolping this setup for several years now

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 14:41
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Nice hi specs lol.

Silly question how much room do you have in a stripped 205, thinking way to the future but would love another car mid-end of next year and would love a 205 but at 6ft4 I'm guessing it'll be tight lol
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 14:47
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Thanks! Haha.

Plenty if your mounting the bucket seat where you want and build it around your size.
I'm 6ft and have no issues.

In standard trim I think you'd struggle though

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 14:50
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Yeah it'll be track only so stripped as much as pos like my rallye was. It's only a hope at the min but be nice to start with something even lighter than the rallye was so 205 seems a logical step but will have to see how it pans out
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 15:19
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I had a 205 GTi and it was fine and I'm 6ft4 Yes

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 15:31
GTi-6 Jord

Junior User

Post #13
Nice to see several pics of me taking an executive role Thumbs up

Finally off the axle stands haha should be epic at Oulton!
Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 22:46
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #14
6'4 here and there's enough room Yes

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 24th Oct 2013 at 22:59
    jeffers Forum Admin

Post #15
    Lookin forward to seeing this at Oulton! Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
    Team Negative Camber!
    My Budget track engine build thread!
    Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 00:19
    clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    Very nice build, looks like there's a lot of work going into it.

Does anyone know if the 406 hubs would be compatible with ash's renaultsport brembo kit or are the offsets different?

eddy_gti6 wrote:
    Its out LOL just waiting on engine builder to pull his finger out and get over his man flue so he can crack on with my bottom end

Who is building your engine?

Team 'unintentional rat look'
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 08:32
    allye

Regular

Post #17
    I'm Just shy of 6'6' and there's a chap with a V6 205 who is taller than me! They are fine. When I had buckets in my 205 Rallye they were real low and I had shed loads of room.

Interestingly I find I have less leg room in my 309 than 205's, I'm going to shift the drivers seat back!

205 Van SC'd GTI6 - because why not
    309 Goodwood V6 - sold
    205 Rallye GTI6 - Bent
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 09:46
    petey

Regular

Post #18
    Nice write up Ashley, much more interesting than that other rubbish white 205 you keep messing about with hehe LOL

I love that first pic of all our cars on Craigee's drive, its a nice little collection!

Any progress last night???

High Boost Supercharged 306 GTI6
    Alfa 147 GTA
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 15:14
    gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    eddy_gti6 wrote:
    Its out LOL just waiting on engine builder to pull his finger out and get over his man flue so he can crack on with my bottom

EFA
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 15:31
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    Engine is in, gearbox bolted up, maniflow manifold bolted on, Driveshafts fitted and running gear bolted back right.
    We didn't get home till nearly 2am and I had to be in Basildon by 9am this morning so it was a 5.30 start and now I'm a little tired!
    Still we're planning a full day tomorrow on the old girl!

309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 16:42
    prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    Awesome project, can't wait to see this and yours in a couple of weeks. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
    Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 18:34
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    clen666 wrote:
    Very nice build, looks like there's a lot of work going into it.

Does anyone know if the 406 hubs would be compatible with ash's renaultsport brembo kit or are the offsets different?

eddy_gti6 wrote:

Who is building your engine?

JBM in darlington is building my bottom end but its away at engineers getting honed and rings and bearings ordered too.

Good work getting it all back together so quick. More pics Cool coming on well

Posted 25th Oct 2013 at 19:16
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Full day on it today.

Exhaust all fitted and finished, all coolant plumbed on, throttle bodies and inlet fitted, Engine all wired up, filled with oil, gearbox filled with oil, hi specs bolted on.
    All the lights work as I stripped the loom right down to what was required and it even cranks over now!
    Need to sort the fuel supply out still then try and start!

Will add pics when I get on the computer and mapping is booked in for Thursday at Launceston
    With sandy

309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 26th Oct 2013 at 19:56
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Good progress there. Should be an epic track car this Cool
    When you say you stripped the loom, was that the chassis loom? Any spare looms kicking around?

Posted 27th Oct 2013 at 19:18
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    The car had all the 205 wiring loom, then the GTi6 engine loom and ecu plus when the throttle bodies got fitted the standalone ecu and wiring were fitted.

I stripped the whole gti6 engine loom down and left a couple of wires. The alternator, starter wire, oil pressure and ive still got to sort the fuel pump wiring out which is fairly simple.

pictures from the weekend and Thursday night

Engine got collected and awaiting the gearbox to be fitted on

engine in, underneath all bolted up and I crack on with wiring the engine up

I finished clamping up the exhaust manifold and bolted the rest of the exhaust system on.

throttle bodies re fitted and still wiring up

Craig took care of the brakes...

coolant plumbed up, wheels bolted back on and looks complete!

engine bay picture

it cranks over, full of fluids etc. Craigs popping over to merlins as we need a few bits for the fuel lines and we should be in a position to try and start it this evening.
    The DTA is mapped for a standard Gti6 engine on throttle bodies. This engine now has forged pistons, solid liters and cams. It may fire it may not!
    Mapping is booked for this Thursday, Its not the end of the world if it doesn't start before mapping but it would be much nicer to get it running so everything can be checked and tested. Nothing worse than getting it to the rollers and having an unfixable problem while on the rollers.

309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 08:46

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last