displaying posts 126 to 150 of 167

Pages (7): first .. 5 [6] 7

Author Subject: Real world info on a low boost?
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #126
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Anyone who honestly thinks that a modern young car (3-4 years old) is any more reliable than an older well maintained car is living in fantasy land really.

My missus has a Peugeot 208 on a '62 plate, only covered 10k and the water pump failed last month, had to be replaced at Pug under warranty. I've never had a water pump fail in my 13 year old GTi-6.

And as a point that has already been made, the more advanced electronics on cars these days makes them even more likely to breakdown in my opinion. Yes
And in an unusual move, I actually 100% agree with you stan. LOL

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 27th Oct 2013 at 23:18
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #127
Who'd have thought it Aaron? LOL

It's true though. Newer machinery is too complicated for it's own good. An older vehicle that is meticulously maintained will be a much, much safer bet any day of the week. Yes

I will never buy a new vehicle - I simply don't like them. They don't allow you to drive them properly with all their electronic trickery, it's bonkers.

For example, as many of you know I own a GSXR 1000 sportsbike. I have the 2005 model, which doesn't have *too* much electronic trickery on it. The same bike from 2007 model upwards has a three stage throttle setting. Modes A, B and C. Mode A is full power, Mode B is for the rider to engage when conditions are a little 'greasy' and it limits the power somewhat. Mode C is for the rider to engage for rainy conditions to severely limit the power.

The 2005 model I have is equipped with a similar system - it's called a throttle and I twist it as much or as little as I as the rider feel is appropriate for the conditions.

And that's a motorcycle. Cars are ten times as worse with their so-called 'driver aids' which is my opinion don't aid at all but simply annoy me as a driver.

My work van ('13 plate Renault Trafic) annoys me because it has a 'gear up/down' light which constantly appears on the dash telling me when to change gear! I don't need that, that's just irritating...

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 07:45
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #128
stan_306gti6 wrote:
My work van ('13 plate Renault Trafic) annoys me because it has a 'gear up/down' light which constantly appears on the dash telling me when to change gear! I don't need that, that's just irritating...

I thought that's what the red line was for on the dials? Unsure LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 08:12
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #129
aaron6 wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Anyone who honestly thinks that a modern young car (3-4 years old) is any more reliable than an older well maintained car is living in fantasy land really.

My missus has a Peugeot 208 on a '62 plate, only covered 10k and the water pump failed last month, had to be replaced at Pug under warranty. I've never had a water pump fail in my 13 year old GTi-6.

And as a point that has already been made, the more advanced electronics on cars these days makes them even more likely to breakdown in my opinion. Yes
And in an unusual move, I actually 100% agree with you stan. LOL

In a way you're right but also wrong. Yes newer cars fail but generally older cars fail more as parts wear out over time. Yes a well maintained older car can be very reliable especially as you have the luxury of proof that a certain car can be reliable because its proved itself as opposed to when it was new, you still had the same gamble as any newer car today. Also finding an older car that has been properly maintained is rare as it takes more than just a service history. I guess because 15yr old 306's are very reliable is the reason why they very rarely get broken for parts or scrapped Whistle

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 08:38
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #130
If you buy a brand new car you have no idea whether or not it is a lemon.
If a car has been running for a good few years and has been well-looked after the majority of glaring manufacturer faults would have probably presented themselves by then.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 10:20
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #131
Well put it this way I would rather have a grey e46 m3 parked on my drive than a super high boost 306 but as said I don't live for the 306 you lot do Smile

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 17:51
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #132
jimmyrallye wrote:
Well put it this way I would rather have a grey e46 m3 parked on my drive than a super high boost 306 but as said I don't live for the 306 you lot do Smile

Then add this Smile

http://www.modbargains.com/ESS-Tuning-Supercharger-Kits-E46-M3.htm

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 17:57
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #133
Why is it im seemingly the only person on here to not like BMW's in any shape or form? f**k me they are just boring... LOL
I personally would rather buy a 6, have all the extra cash to put into my mortgage. Cars are all a dead loss for money old and new. Just the old lose less. Smile

Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 19:22
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #134
aaron6 wrote:
Why is it im seemingly the only person on here to not like BMW's in any shape or form? f**k me they are just boring... LOL
I personally would rather buy a 6, have all the extra cash to put into my mortgage. Cars are all a dead loss for money old and new. Just the old lose less. Smile

I agree with you Aaron - Have you told Lee your thoughts on BMWs? Laugh my ass off

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 20:20
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #135
Oh and just for the record whilst we are discussing "new" car reliability my '13 plate Renault Trafic has started to play up today. Yes

Everytime you attempt to start it, it spins over really slow on the first crank (as if the battery was flat) and then spins over normal speed for the next 3 or so cranks until it fires. At the same time the dashboard clock resets itself. LOL

There is obviously a loose connection somewhere, but at only 16k covered I think it's a bit poor. Don't get that kind of behaviour from the Pug. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 20:24
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #136
stan_306gti6 wrote:
aaron6 wrote:

I agree with you Aaron - Have you told Lee your thoughts on BMWs? Laugh my ass off
He knows...

Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 20:40
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #137
aaron6 wrote:

I agree, I would never own one. But I have a 350z now so what do I know.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 21:19
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #138
A mate of mine owns one of those. Its a few years old. Bloody reliable old thing though. Not silly money either. Smile

Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 22:28
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #139
Yeah I'm hoping to have a good 2-3 years without spending out on it hopefully.

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 23:00
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #140
Drive a decent BMW for a few weeks, then tell me you'd happily go back..

There's more to it than that too, I don't know what you do for work but turning up in a 10+ year old french hatchback with a loudish exhaust makes you look like a c**t. (No offense) Smile

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 18:23
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #141
Im a hairy arsed engineer so turning up in a BMW I actually get called a c**t... Wink

Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 18:36
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #142
aaron6 wrote:
Im a hairy arsed engineer so turning up in a BMW I actually get called a c**t... Wink

Fair play, I just reached a certain age and realized that I looked like a c**t driving a 306.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 18:56
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #143
Im well aware that I'll look a c**t driving anything. But as I love 306's and dispise BMW's I'll have to look a c**t in the 6. LOL

Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 19:34
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #144
webster wrote:
aaron6 wrote:

Fair play, I just reached a certain age and realized that I looked like a c**t driving a 306.

Same, although it was bloody fast still felt like an 18yo.

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 19:49
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #145
aaron6 wrote:
Im well aware that I'll look a c**t driving anything. But as I love 306's and dispise BMW's I'll have to look a c**t in the 6. LOL

aaron6 wrote:

Im with this guy! I had a brand new 63 reg 320D M sport for 2 weeks and hated every minute of it. Uncomfortable, nav/media was overly complicated, wasn't built anywhere near as well as the older BMs, was bloody noisy and juicy and it was hard work to drive for a auto.

Would never have one!
Posted 30th Oct 2013 at 22:48
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #146
Thumbs up

Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:16
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #147
How anyone can say a E46 M3 is boring is beyond me.
My bother bought a minty minty low miler about 3 months ago, Absolutely standard all round.
It is the most insane sounding thing I have ever driven.
I absolutely love my six don't get me wrong.
But f**k me that is a car.
Seriously, The sound it makes is imprinted in my brain.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:23
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #148
I just dont personally like BMW's. Id rather have a nice sporty merc.

Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:25
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #149
Driven an E46 M3 with the SMG box and the only thing i thought was good was the launch control. Other than that I thought it was s**te! Not particularly quick and very understeery ( of course that can be corrected by the loud pedal ) but when trying to be fast and tidy it wasn't very planted at the front.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:29
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #150
Sounds like you dove a s**t one tbh.

My bros one you can basically drive like an utter bellend and you get away with whatever,
I would say that it feels faster than my mates e93 m3 convertible tbh as well.

Don't get me wrong at high speed its so comfortable that you don't realise how fast you are driving but that's build quality for you.
His is a manual as well.

Thing with the Mercs is the engines are epic but the gearboxes are a bit balls

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 31st Oct 2013 at 00:35

Pages (7): first .. 5 [6] 7