displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: charcoal canister broken = vac leak?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
too my dismay....... t'other day i discovered the male hose connector on the engine side of my charcoal canister has broken off and is stuck inside the pipes female hose connector.

its also appreas to of sucked up a fair bit of dirt/mud/sand etc up this broken pipe : S

after disconnecting the plug in the electrionic valve for the system (this does close it right?)

my engine "cutting out on heavy breaking problem" has returned.

i havent done an ecu reset with said plug unplugged....however im just asking on here.

will this problem cause said cutting symptoms?
the mud in the pipe may have gone further up and blocked/messed up the valve not letting it close properly. how likely is this and what effect would this valve not closing properly have?

any one had this problem before?

any advice will help

cheers jim

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 14th Oct 2013 at 18:27
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I had a "cutting out on braking" problem which was actually cutting out when I went down through the gears and the revs were dipping, this was on my other 6.

The ICV was the problem. I solved it by cleaning it.
I know you've cleaned yours but maybe it is worth testing the voltage across it to see whether or not it is on its way out. Worth a go seeing as how prodding it with a multimeter is free and would eliminate that as a potential cause.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 14th Oct 2013 at 22:51
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
alas tis not. the ICV ive tried two working ones in there. one with the lip and one with the lip removed and both have no effect on this problem : (

on an update i have done an ecu reset now and my cars not cutting out under braking but doesnt wanna idle for the first 10 - 30 secs of running from cold then after that its dandy again

i have a horrific feeling its going to be one of those "ages to find simple to fix problems" again with this car.

then again the 1.4 fuel pump could be effecting things as it too was second hand and probably knackered (and if it wasnt it is now Sad )

thanks for the help so far

Posted 18th Oct 2013 at 17:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
Why are you running a second hand 1.4 fuel pump on a GTi-6? Dunno

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 18th Oct 2013 at 19:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
thanks for the replies

its because a second hand gti one was 50 quid. and the second hand 1.4 one was a tenner.

i bought it more as a test if to see if the original pump was causing an issue, rather than wasting the 100 or so quid for a new one that i might not of needed

i plan on getting a brand spanker next payday and didnt wanna waste more money than neccisery.

on a plus note the 1.4 pump fixed the hard starting issue..... well turned it from about 20 secs of non starting(cold start) and a crap hunting idle into a 2-3 second cold start and smooth idle, downside was power loss past 3500rpm (lean mix/fuel pumps runs out of flow rate) so i just dont go past 3000 anymore Sad.

this crapness/lumpy/cutting out running on a cold start idle for 10 - 20 secs. has only started since i discovered said broken charcoal canister line and unplugged the valve for the evaporative emmisions control.

i havnt plugged the broken line (full of dirt :S ) up and figure unplugging the emissions valve so it stays closed hasnt worked as the valve itself is blocked open with dirt and crap that its sucked up.

Posted 21st Oct 2013 at 18:29