displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: What do you recommend?
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hey all!

Time has come for me to start looking around for a new exhaust to put on the Rallye.

I like the sound and style of the Magnex but unfortunately the baffles go in them too quickly so i've been put off getting another one! Thumbs down

I took the time to have a browse over this site and on Google, but cannot find a decent enough review on each to get an idea on whats best.
So i put the question to you; the faithful Gti6 and Rallye owners! LOL

These are my requirements:

Noticeable rumble but not too loud in sound (I would still like to hear my stereo).
Good Expiration date, i don't really want it falling apart within 2 years ideally.
Improved performance from the car
Something that looks reasonably subtle (I don't want chavvy looking twin exhausts or extravagant tailpipes). Thumbs up

And finally, Sports cats... peoples opinions??

Also if you can supply videos on the exhaust sound with your suggestions that will be most helpful thank you! Yes

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 22:16
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Ref sports cats, Kev swears by Magnaflow - US brand and reasonably priced, with good reports on US forums. I was going to go sports cat but ended up getting my OE one welded by Daveyboy who did a great job. I've seen Hoffman and Jetex advertised, the photos for each are the same pic so I don't know whether they are actually the same or whether someone has nicked someone else's photo. Jetex has a good name but cat is pricey. Hoffman I don't know whether they are good or not. I would either go with Kev's Magnaflow recommendation, or get your OE one welded by Daveyboy if it is just the pipe splitting at the rear and the cat is otherwise OK as per my thread. But if the body of the cat is holed it is toast.

Regarding exhausts, Jetex is good, and was an option for me, but I ended up going OE as an inexpensive mid section came up on ebay. If you don't like the Jetex tailpipe get an OE-style one welded on.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 23:03
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Cheers Mik, Smile i'll check out the Magnaflow Sports cat, might also visit the Jetex website Wink

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 09:18
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Jetex are OK, the only problem is that the back box is fairly visible from the rear which would be fine but it gets a lot of surface rust so it looks s**t.

Id just go to long life or whoever is a decent franchise in your area. Lifetime warranty and ask them to put some big boxes in and use 2 1/4 inch pipe.
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 18:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I've etch primed and painted my exhaust system and still looks perfect after a couple of thousand miles.

In terms of design I would prefer something that is proven to maintain or improve factory power delivery - had a mate years ago with a Golf GTI 16V who had a system put on it by a franchise and it lost a lot of mid-range torque so he had to rev the nuts off it to get it to go. For a road car it wasn't a good result.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 21:15
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Iv always used magnex exhausts on all my cars, never had a problem with the baffles until they where used in high boost cars, as yours is not charged I very much doubt that you will be able to blow the baffles
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 21:26
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The super high boost has a zero exhaust fitted and is s work of art!!!
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 21:29