displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Scrapping a car
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hello,

my girlfriends Micra is ready for the scrap yard. Unfortunately, she parked it on the drive and sorned it, so I'd need the works trade plates to shift it, not too much of an issue.

Anyway, Mr local scrap man knocks on the door asking to buy the car. Says he'll take it away etc

There's no way on earth I'm letting him take the car and V5 to 'scrap' it. I don't care how close around the corner he lives.

So, he's just Mr. Joe Bloggs and not an actual scrap man that could fill in the scrap/trade section of the V5.

Is my only option filling in the private sale section and effectively selling the car to him? Then we send the V5 and he gets the CoD etc?

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 15:37
darzmat

Senior User

Post #2
Cant u just get the scrappies to pick it up??

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 18:07
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just take it to scrap yard and sell it them, job done, best thing for a micra lol.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 18:12
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
i had something similar.

scrapped 2 306s, one was writeoff and one was a nailed 1.4 but still road legal. got 100 each

man told me hed sort out the legal crap......and he didnt. meaning i got letter saying whats going on with this vehicle from dvla.

so i asked on here and the advice was. send the dvla a letter saying you cut up the car and disposed of it responsibly at your local recyclers.

i did this and about a week later i got two letter of confirmation saying yeah sweet all is well cars have been listed as dead etc.

just let the scrap man have em if hes willing to take em for monies... would be worth possibly cutting a fair few wires in the loom, removing fuses and the battery etc....just so its too much of a mission if scrap man get ideas to get the micra back on the road......not sure why hed want to though.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 18:34
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
jimmyhackers wrote:
i had something similar.

scrapped 2 306s, one was writeoff and one was a nailed 1.4 but still road legal. got 100 each

man told me hed sort out the legal crap......and he didnt. meaning i got letter saying whats going on with this vehicle from dvla.

so i asked on here and the advice was. send the dvla a letter saying you cut up the car and disposed of it responsibly at your local recyclers.

i did this and about a week later i got two letter of confirmation saying yeah sweet all is well cars have been listed as dead etc.

just let the scrap man have em if hes willing to take em for monies... would be worth possibly cutting a fair few wires in the loom, removing fuses and the battery etc....just so its too much of a mission if scrap man get ideas to get the micra back on the road......not sure why hed want to though.

that's what I'll do, let him have it for cash. but what about the v5 ? juatget him to fill the new owner bit?

Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 19:24
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
There is a bit on the v5 you can send away to say its been scrapped

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 19:42
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Not on the new ones there isn't.

You can still allocate a new owner or scrappy who becomes liable after sold so let him pay you and take it.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 20:24
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
As above the older style had a box you could tick. So then I'd ask for the whole V5 so I could just tick it and not be associated when I've finished with it. The new forms then became sent out on mass to replace the blue ones.

Often if I take just a shell to be weighed in they don't class it as a car so don't ask questions. With the new style I would send a covering letter to the DVLA saying it had been disposed of.

For cars in my name that I've weighed in, I've insisted on COD's (certificate of destruction) and the DVLA would write to confirm I'm no longer the registered keeper.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 20:52
    daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    Yep, as said no tick box for scrap only a breaker / insurer which requires business name and VAT number.

So my only option is the new keeper section

Posted 9th Sep 2013 at 07:44
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    If the bloke is friendly with the centre and doesn't need the V5, let him take the car and you send the V5 off with the covering letter saying it's been disposed of.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 9th Sep 2013 at 08:40
    craig-gti6

Regular

Post #11
    jimmyhackers wrote:
    i had something similar.

How long ago was it when you weighed those two 306's in? We took my grandads 205 to the scrapyard last year and he got £150Yes didn't you cut the cats off first and sell them to the scrap man separately?
    Posted 11th Sep 2013 at 09:43