displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Momentary loss of power
matt16v

Regular

Post #1
Hi everyone,

A while back I had a similar problem, may be related, read thread here if you want.

I've had it a few times now, I'll be driving along and the engine will cut out for half a second or so, and then come back with a big jerk. Which leads me to think that electrical power is lost for a split second. The battery I have seems to be slightly too short so I cut a lump of wood to put underneath it to raise it to the right height and my positive lead is now sitting exactly how it should, I was sure this had fixed it but it happened again this afternoon. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bad earth somewhere?

Not sure if this is related but went for a bit of a harder drive this afternoon and looked everything over when I got back, with it running. I can see some smoke around the cat (though it's kind of whispy rather than a stream like a leak) and even some in the engine bay from the gearbox area.

I did have a gearbox leak from the driveshaft seals and a leaky ram, both have been fixed by Carl. Could this be residual gearbox oil / power steering fluid burning off of somewhere when it gets hot? I'll take it out for another harder drive this evening and have another look, as after a while it stopped smoking. Which makes me think it's a fluid burning off on something hot rather than an exhaust leak. I have noticed a bit of a burning smell after harder drives since I got it but didn't think much of it as it's not that strong. I always let her warm up and by harder drives I really mean revving to 6k or so every now and then, I never really rag her like some of my friends rag theirs.

Sorry for the long post! If any pictures of anywhere in particular would be helpful, let me know.

Many thanks,
Matt

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 27th Aug 2013 at 17:30
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
I would start by cleaning and re-tightening all the Earthing points on the car.

The main ones to check are the battery negative connection, Earth points x 2 on the top of the gearbox, one on the inner wing, just under the battery tray and the one under the accelerator pedal inside the cabin. It may also be worth unplugging the large round plug at the bottom of the passenger inner wing where the engine loom joins the car. Unplugging this and then plugging it back in should cure a bad connection if you have one there.

Hope this helps,

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th Aug 2013 at 18:22
matt16v

Regular

Post #3
Okay had a look for these earths and not having much luck at all. I found the one under the accelerator pedal, haven't bothered to remove the battery box yet.

The gearbox one I couldn't find but I did notice two holes, one of which looks suspiciously clean.

Pic 1 - http://i.imgur.com/4eG340f.jpg

Red circle is the first hole, Green seems to be some oil on the gearbox, is that normal?

Pic 2 - http://i.imgur.com/Ft3uBli.jpg

Red is second hole.

Pic 3 - http://i.imgur.com/YqBxhKH.jpg

Noticed this while having a poke around. The plugged in one is the MAP sensor if I'm correct, seems to be another plug with it that isn't connected, is that needed for anything?

Also I couldn't find the engine loom connector, could you be a little more specific haha? Novice here.

Thanks

Posted 5th Sep 2013 at 10:17
bitwrx

Post #4
I had a similar driving along, cutting out, cutting back problem in my TU engined LX. Thought it was fuel related, then electric related. Exhausted a few options there before it got so bad I took it to the garage (not something I do often - almost always fix my own cars).

They had a poke around and changed a load of stuff (tps, coils, lambda sensor and a few other things), before finally figuring out the cat was blocked. Replaced that and she was good as gold.

I think the problem stemmed from the previous owner running it for a while with a duff coolant temp sensor, which made the ECU over fuel, which in turn killed the lambda and cat.

May not be your problem, but the symptom you describe is not dissimmilar. Any evidence of overfuelling anywhere - poor running when hot, black smuts at the rear end?
Posted 5th Sep 2013 at 16:34
matt16v

Regular

Post #5
Will do some investigating and keep that in mind, thanks for the reply. Was it intermittent? I can drive hundreds of miles and not have a problem and then it comes back. Have noticed it's been a little thirsty recently, may be imagining it though.

The times it has happened so far, the car will be warm, left for half an hour or so, and then do it shortly after starting up again. Starting to think it's not a ground problem as it happened in the dark the other day and lights / radio were fine.

Posted 6th Sep 2013 at 12:01
bitwrx

Post #6
Intermittent at start. Less so over time. I could usually put my boot down and it would power (!) through, at least until the very end.

Remember the temp sensor that does your gauge is different from the one that the ECU uses to know how much to enrich the mixture at startup, so even if your dash says you're up to temp, your ECU may think you're still warming up.

I may be leading you down the wrong path, but it's not too hard to eliminate the coolant temp sensor as a cause. There's a table somewhere on the internet with temp vs resistance for the sensor. Get your multimeter and pan of water out and see if you get the right values at tap temp (~10deg C) and boiling temp (usually a smidge under 100deg C).
Posted 9th Sep 2013 at 16:14