displaying posts 1 to 25 of 29

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: my car has been resurrected!
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #1
it's turned into that bottomless pit! f**king heads gone now after having a new rad fitted. and all the other bits.... pfffft! Dunno
i'm going to have to buy another run around for a while!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 17:31
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
Do you mean the HG has gone?

Sounds like it wasn't bled properly then after the rad fitting if that's the case. Sad

Calm down Chris, I'm sure people will be able to help out. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:09
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I'm not far, my mate does head gaskets cheap. If you get stuck give a shout.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:13
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #4
it will be ressurected but not the news i wanted to hear, the garage has had it a week now and it is getting ridiculous! i am going to buy another daily driver and when it's resurrected, if they can without it tapping! all they have told me is that when it's running it's pressurising the cooling system and blowing the water out. so they are gong to take the head off and see what's what if the heads cracked then it's f**ked! it's about the worst case scenario. if it runs again it's getting some rest in the garage and i'll use something else on a daily basis it costs a small fortune in fuel so it's time it was rested up.

EDIT but it will drive the healy pass again.

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:20
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Sounds a bit suspect to me, you didn't have any running issues engine wise before it went in?

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
honestly3k wrote:
Sounds a bit suspect to me, you didn't have any running issues engine wise before it went in?

This. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:23
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #7
honestly3k wrote:

the radiator blew in town it is possible the engine got too hot! i nursed it home but it could have got too hot though i didn't see it get over 100 it was parked and went to the garage on the back of a truck! i guess it suffered multiple organ failure!

Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:24
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I had a small leak with my rad before I had it replaced, coupled with faulty fan relays so they weren't coming in till late.

Had my car over 100 degrees on plenty of occasions and engine is sweet as a nut.

Guess there's no way for you to tell really though

When you say 'blew', if it lost a lot of coolant then its possible it got fooking hot fooking fast Sad

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 19:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
If theres no coolant in there the reading on the gauge is meaningless.

Head wont be cracked, but hg is very likely given its age, do ensure they take the minimal amount off and if neccesary use an xu10j4r repair gasket.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 20:10
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Be careful of being seen off by people who are trying to rip you off by making up reasons for extra work. About 60% of mechanics do that because punters are suckers to them.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 21st Aug 2013 at 22:20
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
No coolant = no reading so the chances are it over heated probably quite bad

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 24th Aug 2013 at 11:42
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Shes bubba shrimped

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 24th Aug 2013 at 15:59
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #13
welshpug! wrote:
If theres no coolant in there the reading on the gauge is meaningless.

Head wont be cracked, but hg is very likely given its age, do ensure they take the minimal amount off and if neccesary use an xu10j4r repair gasket.

update: this is the most likely scenario... i have asked them to take great care of her! it is due to pushing her as far as she would go! new radiator more system pressure .... next weakest point=head gasket.
I have been very specific and told them i don't want a tapper back! i made sure they understood that the engine had to be "right"

I do actually trust this garage (as i do with most of the advice on this forum) and over the years they have gone out of their way to help and be helpful (as this forum has). i have just bought a daily driver off them so they can take their time to sort it out. im the proud new owner of a nissan micra 1.3 slx N reg with about 66k on it. Cheap easy to park, low running costs. taxed till april, mot till nov but thats in with the price come November! £400. so im still mobile. it was their courtesy car. full service history yada yada. it's a pile of crap but keeps me earning money and ive been meaning to get a cheapo run around for ages..... when the 6 is resurrected it will be tucked away in the garage as a w/e car and i will lavish more money on her as i get it but will only drive it now and again i see no point driving it back into the ground again after this little lot! but the odd road trip won't be out of the question!

Edit: i plan to put some refurbed cyclones on it, replace the bumpers as and when, upgrade the brakes; upgrade the suspension, new rear beam some time next year, i will need a new drivers seat or i will get the one in retrimmed (there is a local company that will do it) and generally take care of it and lavish some attention on it it has done well for the past 3/4 years i have had it. i plan to have it another 3/4 years.

Posted 25th Aug 2013 at 21:26
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Those 16v micras do sound good with a 57i kit and a raspy exhaust LOL

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 25th Aug 2013 at 21:23
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #15
pebbles167 wrote:
Those 16v micras do sound good with a 57i kit and a raspy exhaust LOL

it has crossed my mind LOL

Posted 25th Aug 2013 at 21:26
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #16
the cylinder head is not cracked it will live on! soon i hope.

Posted 31st Aug 2013 at 00:40
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
grumpychef wrote:

Thats good news Thumbs up

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 31st Aug 2013 at 09:07
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Fair play for keeping her alive Thumbs up

If it had been me, with all that cost I would have binned it.

Hopefully they will do the HG repair right

Posted 31st Aug 2013 at 10:13
poogiepug1

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Mine has had everything replaced, stilly can vouch for that but I still love it and at least I know nearly every part has been replaced!!

Posted 31st Aug 2013 at 17:34
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
grumpychef wrote:

Good to hear Chris, we'll have to meet up for a pint soon.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 31st Aug 2013 at 18:54
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #21
poogiepug1 wrote:
Mine has had everything replaced, stilly can vouch for that but I still love it and at least I know nearly every part has been replaced!!

this is probably going to happen over the next year... seats are going off to be re-trimmed next. and has anyone got a decent gear stick knob? she is going to go in the garage now and slowly be ALL sorted out. rear beam next year. some cosmetic work is needed too. and i might get some refurbed cyclones for christmas. LOL

Posted 1st Sep 2013 at 18:46
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #22
the car lives on! yay! got her back today and went for a blat! she's back on form and all sorted again! how much? .... don't ask!!!! Sad no to turn it into my own little project and sort her out cosmetically too!

i have to say it is sounding a bit tapetty tap but i'm told one of the hydrolic valve lifters is sticky?? sounds like bulls**t; but time will tell. i have to take it back after about 500 miles for them to check her over but all in all she's in fine form. feels good to be driving it again after the micra!

Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 17:27
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #23
2 dead and one lives on, excellent news.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 17:30
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #24
Sounds like a bent valve to me, although time will tell I guess. Sad

Glad you decided to save her Chris. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 18:14
dcc

Senior User

Post #25
dump the oil, give it fresh, then give it a good drive, if its just been sat idling it may well clear up after a proper drive.

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 21st Sep 2013 at 22:01

Pages (2): [1] 2