displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Recon head query
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I may have the possibility of a really cheap recon head for my rallye. Only concern I have at the min is how would I go about timing when refitting as I'm guessing it won't come timed to the standard markings etc so how do you go about lining everything up to fit a belt as see so many horror story's of bending valves etc.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 20:22
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The cam pulleys can only fit on the cams in one position so pin the pulleys up then bolt the head on and time it up as you usually would if your doing a cam belt replacement.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 21:12
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
What if your cams are actually off and your bolting tbem back down? Exhaust cam first or inlet.? Do you aim to bolt them down in such a way that the locking part is as close to the hole in the head as possible ready for pinning?

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 21:20
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Fitting the cams with the head off the car? If so, fit one first, pin it up then rotate the other one and bolt that down with it roughly inline for pinning. Id do the exhaust first as the exhaust cam pins on the rock.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 21:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
essentially that indeed darkgti6, I would certainly not go rotating anything, better to fit the head then the cams.

imperative to confirm the height of the head.

http://petrila.org/repair/2/406d9/info/gb/b1db2ck3.htm

detailing XU gaskets (not the RFS engine, but applicable nonetheless)

http://petrila.org/repair/2/406d9/info/gb/b1db2dk3.htm

refitting head

http://petrila.org/repair/2/406d9/info/gb/b1dg0ak3.htm

can't find the page that details the location of the keyways for the RFS engine, it is different to the J4R and XU7JP3.

it was posted by "BAS" one of our european members IIRC.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 21:36
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
Personally, if I was fitting cams to a head that was off the car I would fit the cams in as close as possible to the pin holes and then as soon as they were bolted down, pin them up.

That way you don't need to rotate anything as such and risk causing valve damage.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 22:40
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Niall wrote:
The cam pulleys can only fit on the cams in one position so pin the pulleys up then bolt the head on and time it up as you usually would if your doing a cam belt replacement.

If you do it this way you need to make sure you do not touch any of the slightly open valves onto anything while lifting head onThumbs down

I do it the way AutoData recommends,cams not pinned and valves closedThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 22:43
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
coskev wrote:
Niall wrote:

If you do it this way you need to make sure you do not touch any of the slightly open valves onto anything while lifting head onThumbs down

I do it the way AutoData recommends,cams not pinned and valves closedThumbs up

Correct i should of mentioned this! It can be a bit of a bas**rd to do. I did mine with the help of a friend to guide the head in place. Didnt want to time the cams up blind but now i know better.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 22:57