displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: turd driveshafts noises?
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi folks, this isn't about a Peugeot its a mk3 mondeo deisel but I suppose a driveshaft is a driveshaft, I'd ask on the ford forum but after seeing there answers there on other threads i won't waste my time.
Basically i have a loud squeely squeek noise from the p/s.
it sounds exactly like when the pads wear down to metal and they start binding except the pads are a few months old, the sliders are new the discs are new.
When I brake the noise does not go away but the noise changes slightly.
I recently did a load of wo rk to the car,complete rear brake pipes from the bulkhead back to flexis, new hp powersteering pipe, new rear d/s caliper, new shocks, springs, drop links and flexi hoses all around and new front wheel bearings( rears are 6 month old) I also fitted a new p/s driveshaft but opted for a cheap tack s**tty £45 q drive shaft from eauros!
when I first drove the car I thought I felt some wobble and then it went So I put it down to stones from my drive stuck on the tyre.
after 100 miles this noise started and I can't work out what it is, I first thought the flexi I'd fitted was squashed/f**ked and not releasing the pressure fast enough causing it to bind but if it was binding the noise would completely go away when I braked wouldn't it?
It also doesn't feel right on that ps front corner, there's no play in the bearing but I wouldn't expect it to have anyway even if it was the issue as its new and the old 161k screwed one didn't have play it was just noisy.
I can only think its the cheapo driveshaft that's the fault, but would a driveshaft sound this way, how can I check its not the shaft or bearing without just changing them?
I got a local place to fit the bearings into the knuckles for me I wish I'd just gone down the dealers now, atleast I know they have got the correct bits needed to press them in/out.
any ideas will be greatly appreciated, I've just spent a fortune on this car and loads of time layed under the car in the heatwave and was looking forward to having it back to its former self and been perfect to drive and I don't really want to jack the thing up again unless when it goes back down I know it will be right.
it does pull slightly to the left but the chances are that that's down to road camber and the subframe needing realigning on a 4 wheel allignment machine as it has been removed and on this car there is adjustment on them.
Thanks andy

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 20:00
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
It does sound like that shaft is dodgy I must say.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 17th Aug 2013 at 00:25
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Can a driveshaft make them noises, the noise speeds up as you go faster and when your nearly at a stop with the brakes on it goes from a squeek to kind of a crunch.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 17th Aug 2013 at 13:16