displaying posts 1 to 25 of 25

Author Subject: Driving an accident damaged car
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Not so sure on this one...

If i have a car that has superficial damage to the door and the rear quarter panel (not the rallye don't fret) am i ok to drive it?

Mechanically the car is sound, no issues. There are some nice dents though and because of this you cannot get the passenger door open at present. Will this be a problem with the Police?

Cheers guys Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:22
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
as long as there are no sharp edges, you should be fine if you get the speed tape out and tape. over anything that looks sharp. Tax and test?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:23
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
superchargedblack1997gti6 wrote:
as long as there are no sharp edges, you should be fine if you get the speed tape out and tape. over anything that looks sharp. Tax and test?

That's what i was thinking Yes It's taxed and has an MOT so no issues there. It basically just looks a bit beat up, not sure what they could charge me for with that if i was pulled over? having a crap car? LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:36
dcc

Senior User

Post #4
regardless if you tape over anything - if the police deem it not to be roadworthy you're going to be in trouble.

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:39
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
got any pics?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:42
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
dcc wrote:
regardless if you tape over anything - if the police deem it not to be roadworthy you're going to be in trouble.

That's the thing, what would make them think that? What classifies an unroadworthy car these days? It's tricky Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:45
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
buzzbrightyear wrote:
got any pics?

Not on me, can get some later Yes

Will be getting a new door asap and then just looking for somebody to fix up the rear quarter when i get the chance.

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:46
dcc

Senior User

Post #8
anything which would fail an mot in my eyes - not sure about theirs

205 GTI
Xsara HDI
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:52
rikky 🦔

Post #9
i drove my gti6 with smashed bonnet, bumper and headlight / no indicator for 2 months. FTW

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 13:54
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
dcc wrote:
anything which would fail an mot in my eyes - not sure about theirs

That makes sense Yes Would need to look at what it might fail on if it were MOT'd again Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:03
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
"MOT Test of Doors
■Both front doors must be openable from the inside and outside and all doors must latch securely.
■a passenger door must open from the outside using relevant control
■All door hinges, catches and pillars to be assessed for door readily opening and closing, and security"

Bugger Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:05
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Not being funny but seriously there are loads of people that some how manage to drive around in death traps in this country ie mechanically far from sound. Engines tied in with rope and that sort of thing. If your saying its mechanically sound then role with it.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:27
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
darkgti6 wrote:
Not being funny but seriously there are loads of people that some how manage to drive around in death traps in this country ie mechanically far from sound. Engines tied in with rope and that sort of thing. If your saying its mechanically sound then role with it.

I think i will for now but i just need to avoid the boys in blue as it looks like they may take offence with the new style door. I think i will have a play with it this weekend and see if i can at least get the thing to open and close :-)

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:37
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
rikky wrote:
i drove my gti6 with smashed bonnet, bumper and headlight / no indicator for 2 months. FTW

LOL

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:40
rikky 🦔

Post #15
i drove once to the auto electrics shop with no driver door cos i was rewiring the loom and ran out of insulation tape! that was v v funny, lucky it was only about half a mile though

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 14:44
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I once drove around without a bonet for a couple of days, police didn't seem to give a s**t, even when I drove past them with some gusto LOL

I wouldn't worry about it mate, as long as the car dorsnt look f**ked, just beat up then you'll be fine.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 16:16
rikky 🦔

Post #17
until you roll it, can't get out and it's on fire?! LOL

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 16:28
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #18
Put a picture up Smile

Tbh if its just a dent you'll get no hassle. If you've got something like a door hanging off, sharp parts or parts hanging off, then yeah expect to be stopped.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 16:35
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
rikky wrote:
until you roll it, can't get out and it's on fire?! LOL

Like any car with wing doors? They all get mot's!

Another example is 3 door vs 5 door. Ok so on your 5 door car your offside rear door is mullered and neither allows anyone to get in or out that side. If your in the back of a 3 door car you dont even have the luxury of a door to attempt to open. They still get mot's.

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 17:04
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
With a passenger door it is a bit of a grey area - it wouldn't get an MOT but if you are pulled over with no passenger in the car you could argue that since you are not driving with a passenger it doesn't matter if you are not carrying passengers, and is your only means of transport for a few days until you get it fixed etc. But the copper could get @r$ey about it if he was uber-pedantic. If you were carrying a passenger or the driver's door was inoperative it would be pretty clear cut. As said, as long as there are no sharp bits poking out to injure pedestrians, or things about to fall off and use your common sense it should be OK in the very short term.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 18:21
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Also some MOT testers can be equally anal. Some are quite relaxed others are complete retards.

I had one MOT tester ages ago who happened to be a woman. During the MOT she decided to count the turns of the steering wheel from straight ahead to full lock left and vice versa to right hand full lock. As we all know lock to right is restricted because of the gearbox and she was adamant there was something seriously wrong with my steering rack and that it needed to be rectified urgently. I tried explaining why the lock was uneven on one side but I dont think she got what I was trying to say. She didnt fail it but to be honest she seemed like a mini hitler in an MOT station so I didnt go there again.

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 18:28
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I was told by someone at a Pug-approved bodyshop that there appeared to be something wrong with the right-hand lock.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 18:39
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
mik wrote:
I was told by someone at a Pug-approved bodyshop that there appeared to be something wrong with the right-hand lock.

Its incredible the incompetence that you can encounter by people and companies who should know better. Wokingham Motors (my local Peugeot main dealer) couldnt even balance my cyclones. Got them back and they were counter balanced and it took then just under 2 and a half hours to do it lol.

Posted 15th Aug 2013 at 18:57
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Depends on the cop i imagine.

I drove my old 106 around, passenger door completely caved inwards and the front wing (woke up to it in that state, some twat over night) but never had any issues, door wouldn't open too.

And the MOT surly isn't an issue as it has a current one, yes it would fail on a test, but it doesn't need to be.... Dunno

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 04:41
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
It should be fine.

When my car was written off the police man suggested limping home in it (bumper scraping off the floor, arch guard rolled up like a cadbury's mini roll etc.

A police officer would have to be a complete arse to get you in trouble for it, even then, the only thing they could say would be about the door not opening and shutting, if it is just some dents you're unlikely to be stopped...in Oxford, which is basically just a real-life version of that playstation game demolition derby, every few cars has dents and damage...

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 16th Aug 2013 at 17:34