displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Rattling noise from front N/S
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
Recently got the 306 on the road after going right through it for an MOT. I've noticed a rattley/dinking noise coming from the front near side, hard to explain but sort of a metallic tap. I only hear it over rough surfaces like where pot holes have been filled in, and nothing when I go over bigger bumps. For the MOT i replaced ball joint, front discs, refurbed calipers, droplinks and wishbone bushes and put S/H struts on (everything being standard). I had them done by a mechanic and after a few miles he came round and checked the tightness on everything again.

Any ideas? Also about 70mph I get a wobble/ vibration through the car, but not any speed before there, I'm having the wheels rebalanced next week just incase but could this be linked to the noise?

Cheers
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 18:47
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Vibration is probably balancing and I would guess the noise is probably a drop link

Ryan
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 19:29
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Drop links

*edit* I'll go with post #2

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 19:29
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
It does sound like a drop link, however you've said you've replaced them.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 22:23
DanRM

Regular

Post #5
Thanks, the noise does sound similar to when the droplink went on my 205. I replaced the droplinks but then sent the car round to a bloke to do the wishbones and ARB before the MOT, so I better check to see if he tightened that one up properly
Posted 19th Jul 2013 at 22:35
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I had a bakelite-plastic looking thing that covers the ABS sensor (?) on the front NS hub just to the rear of the strut housing that broke (but did not fall off completely) and made the same noise last week. Makes an almost metallic 'dink' noise over low speed bumps. Glued it back together with contact adhesive = no more noise.

Jack it up, remove the wheel and look for loose things that make a noise.

The vibrating thing is likely to be an unbalanced or distorted wheel. If you have Cyclones, because people can't balance them properly as they have no hole for centre cap. Or worn suspension components as stated by others.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 01:18
DanRM

Regular

Post #7
Just jacked it up and had a look, I'd say it's the bracket holding the brake pipes and abs wires as its loose and signs of rubbing against the hub and no bolt holding it down. I've cable tied it for now until I get a new bolt and will take it for a drive and see if its gone. Hopefully I can drive with that window open now haha.

Cheers for the input guys
Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 11:57