displaying posts 1 to 25 of 36

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Xsara VTS track car
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Well, after owning my yellow VTS for over 6 years I was in the hunt for an A/C system, as the first buyer had to decide whether he wants A/C OR sunroof for free, and he chose the latter Unsure And this means in the 35°C or even more we have here during summer it was pretty uncomfortable to drive this thing.

So I was ont he hunt for a donor car from which I could transplant the A/C from. Enventually I found this silver VTS at the end of May. (from this point the most is copy+paste from CXOC, so excuse the mistakes if there's any Smile )

The car cost me 140.000Ft, which is equal to 410GBP. In this price the seller also transported the car to my home, which is quite good, considering the car was sold with a bad engine, and it was 200kms away from me! Billy bargin!

When it arrived I've seen the potential in it for the first blink. Eventhough the exterior was battered, had a flat tyre and curbed alloy, the front grill was missing, there was a huge dent in the boot, and basically it was looking quite sorry for itself it semmed like under this skin a good car is hiding, as it has straight sills, nice interior etc.

The car was sold as a 1.8 16V, and the seller even commented about how much more expensive the car would have been if it was a 2.0 16V, as they are more powerful and rare! LOL It was hard to hold my laughter!

It was originally used in Austria in Wien, where it developped a fault so it was taken to a "workshop". they weren't able to fix the fault, and as the owner did not pay them he left the car there, and those idiots bas**rdised the boot, the glovebox as they only had the valet key which does not open these Unsure
They removed all the audio gear, and then the car was sold to the guy I bough it from. He tried to fix it too, but without success.

When I received the car it ran on 3 cylinders. Opening the hood revealed that they fitted a new Valeo coilpack. Out with the plugs, and there were four Motorcraft conical plugs instead of washered plugs Unsure We put four new and correct plugs in there but it made no real difference. Off with the coilpack plugs one by one, and it was clear that eventhough they found the problem, which was a faulty coilpack, they put the new in place of a good working one, leaving the faulty in place LOL

I swapped that one out with one from my yellow VTS and guess what! All cylinders started running Big grin All in all did not take us more than 10mins to fix the car...

The following picture was taken after the wash and wheel cleaning, and it's already looking good:

I hoovered the interior once, but it was necessary to it once more as it was awful inside:

It didn't even have a gear knob - I fitted the MOMO I had in the garage.

Once I've binned the litter it was already better, and in the meantime my father fixed the boot lock which those bas**rds managed to ruin.

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 30th Jun 2013 at 20:01
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Then I hoovered the interior once again, now it looks how it should. All the plastics and leather were treated with Wolfschemical's White Satin, which left this:

Then I cleaned the door shuts as they were holding a great part of the Austrian motherland.... From this:

To this:

Same was done with the boot shut, I swear they were even worse! I only have after pictures tho:

I also did the part behind the rear lights:

The lights it had were filled with water, so I dug out my old ph.1 rears and put them in place with new Hella bulbs:

On this day I cleaned ALL earth points and earth connections on the car, the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor and the ICV.

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 28th Jun 2013 at 22:04
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
On the following day I refit the hanging front splitter. Then it was time to do all the necessary servicing:

Fresh Motul oil (no need for the über expensive 300V-Power in this car, the "simple" will do well - still better than the rest out in the market), new filters, a track rod end, all new wishbone bushes - from the hardest type, the rears are the revised ally housing Berlingo items, and on the top of this they were filled with polyurethane. Once they were in my father set the tracking.

Not pictured, but also bought a timing belt kit with Gates belt, and Ruville (french) tensioner and idler pulleys, and a new water pump. The belt it had one was not old at all, but it was so tight it nearly screamed! So it had to go, as adjusting the tension is a no-no on a belt like this.

The power steering oil was drained, the system flushed, reservoire cleaned and filled with fresh Castrol TQ ATF Dexron II.

I took the car to a friend of mine to regas the A/C system which held the pressure as it should, no leaks detected so he drained the gas which will go back into the system once it's transfered into my yellow VTS Smile

When it got back home I shortened the accelerator cable, as Citroen uses the same length for both the LHD and RHD cars, so on mine it does a loop before going to the throttle body, thus it's ridiculously hard. Now it's trimmed, and goes in a near straight line, and it's smooth and soft Smile

After this we fabricated a front upper brace from what we had at hand. Csaba gave me two endpieces a few weeks ago, and we found a VERY light pipe which we used for this purpose. Bent it right where the oil cap is to make sure it clears it, and it was welded onto the endpieces. We made a recess where the belt cover is. All in all took us around 20-25 mins to do + painting.

I also ordered a new front grill, but as now the chevrons and all of the other manufacturer badges are copyrighted they do not supply them with the parts :idiot2: So my father cut the middle part out, and made this:

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 28th Jun 2013 at 22:07
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Then I did this:

Big grin

More progress to follow!

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 28th Jun 2013 at 22:13
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Then I removed all the A/C stuff, so the front end looked like this:

I also removed the tar sheets:

There are additional two on the firewall, two in each door, and also one on each side in the boot. They don't weight too much, but every little count! Smile

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 07:58
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
In the last couple of days I made the wiring loom lighter. I removed ALL the unnecessary wires, relays and connectors. It's quite time consuming, but it worth it Smile

First I started with the engine bay loom which came out from the yellow VTS (as the A/C and non A/C looms are different, so on this I started with the already lighter non A/C loom). Removed the fog light, headlight vertical aim, ABS etc.. wires. The final loom next to the removed lot:

This is how the front end looked like without any kind of wires:

The ABS pump will be removed once I receive the brake bias valve, and will redo the brake lines!

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 08:03
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Interior loom waiting for stripdown:

So it was time to do the inside wiring loom. Just as said above it's partially finished, yet I still managed to remove shedloads of wires:

Partially finished loom:

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 08:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
funny how much it looks like a ZX with the front wings off LOL also very funny how you managed to find a non a-c VTS, they don't exist in the UK LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 08:45
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Looking good - I like the strut brace design. Solid-looking with no useless pivots or heavy adjusters, and as straight as possible.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 09:57
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Great thread/write up and picsCool

Totally agree on stripping out the not used wiringThumbs up

Can never understand people converting cars to track spec and leaving it all inDunno

Looking forward to this conversionCool

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 16:10
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
coskev wrote:
Great thread/write up and picsCool

Totally agree on stripping out the not used wiringThumbs up

Can never understand people converting cars to track spec and leaving it all inDunno

Looking forward to this conversionCool

Thanks! It will be more interesting from this point Smile

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:15
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I finished the wiring loom, and I have to say it was a VERY time consuming job, but it really worth the effort, as loads of wires came out which are no use to us anymore, and afterall it all cost me time and absolutely no money.

This is how the finished interior loom looks like:

(not 100% finished on that pic, as I still had to cover the bare wires to look factory, but I don't have picure of that on this PC)

Quite a lot smaller and LOADS lighter than the original, yet it's still usable!

And this is the huge amount of wires which came out of it:

This lot includes all the wires from the interior (so also the rear window heater, rear wiper motor, rain sensor etc wires)

While I fiddled around the wiring, my father made an old BX wiper motor fit into the Xsara. So now I'm sporting a single wiper (the intermittent option with it's relay and wires was also removed to save weight - I'm really serious!)

I also removed the rear wiper motor (and naturally all it's wiring, back to the fuse box, along with the interior lights, rear window heater etc):

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:27
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Brakes wise I want to do just a basic upgrade, consisting of ABS removal, Mintex M1144 pads, Motul RBF660 fluid and the following:

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:26
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
In the last couple of days I did more work on the car. First of all I sorted the wiring loom, as eventhough it was OK I still had to tidy the loom, doing this I copied the original loom in look and layout, so I could simply install it in the original position.

After I put the non A/C heater box into place - which is LOADS lighter than one with A/C, but still too heavy for my liking, so in the future this WILL have to be replaced with something more basic unit, as I only need heating for the front windscreen, no need for air mixer flaps, direction flaps and things like these...

Yesterday I chopped the dashboard. First of all I removed the passanger airbag and the metal tray underneath, and also both speakers. Then out with the electric saw and the fury unleashed:

This was the amount I chopped off from the dash, making it LOADS lighter - to around 1/3 of the original weight.

Leaving me with this:

Basically it's just the skin of the original dash. Some asked why didn't I simply left the dash out of the car? Well, the steering column and the surrounding area is pretty crowded, filled with sharp edged metal parts, and the dash comes handy in case any kind of accidents, protecting my legs from cuts.

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:30
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
dash is also handy place to put the heater controls Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:37
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Found a picture of the original and the chopped looms next to each other:

It's quite easy to see the difference! The weight diff. is really significant.

Ohh, and this morning my friend came with a ploycarb sheet he "brought" Big grin from work, so I'll do the windows next time Smile

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:39
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
welshpug! wrote:
dash is also handy place to put the heater controls Thumbs up

It is! They will go back in place once I'll have the battery cut-off switch, and the starter button / IGN switch - these two will replace the original ignition switch not because I can save weight, but I can sell the original item LOL

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 29th Jun 2013 at 19:45
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
welshpug! wrote:
funny how much it looks like a ZX with the front wings off LOL also very funny how you managed to find a non a-c VTS, they don't exist in the UK LOL

well, they are quite similar! Thumbs up

to be honest I've never seen a non A/C VTS yet, apart from mine Doh - noone was dumb enough to chose sunroof (at least in Germany, as mine came from there)

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 30th Jun 2013 at 20:00
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Today I trimmed the front bumper to save a bit of weight. The following picutre shows the amount of plastic cut out:

Then here's the finished bumper without the plastic inserts:

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 30th Jun 2013 at 20:19
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Nice work, subscribed. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 30th Jun 2013 at 20:32
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
In the last couple of days when I had a bit of free time I fabricated a middle switch panel for the car. It houses the heater controls, the cut off and ignition switches, and the starter button - which will be replaced with a round unit soon, as I only had this square button at home!

The panel is made of 4mm polycarbonate.

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 21:12
Takedown

Senior User

Post #22
Jonapot!

looking good, looking forward on seeing more pics mate
Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 22:23
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Takedown wrote:
Jonapot!

looking good, looking forward on seeing more pics mate

Jónapot! Big grin

Thanks mate, I have a few new pics!

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 23rd Jul 2013 at 21:56
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Okay, so at the weekend my father helped me to modify the throttle body. We enlarged the inlet and outlet, making it perfectly round and conical, and then I cut down the bolt ends which protruded, and made the finished a bit smoother (but not mirror like, as it's not good on the inlet)

First, here are two pics of the original item (not my picutures, borrowed them from 306GTI6):

And here's mine after the modification:

and the rear:

Then onto the inlet manifold which was ported, the intake side enlarged just a tiny bit to get away with the size reduction (not a huge deal, but hey!), and we cut out the two small vertical bars from the trumpet are to make the airflow better to the runners closer to the PAS pump.

VTS

Team Trackday™
Posted 23rd Jul 2013 at 21:59
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Nice projectThumbs up
If you search there is a thread where someone has cut the front off their inlet manifold to gain access to the inside & port it properly then welded it back up, apparently the same as the btcc cars had.
Your dad is a handy chap!

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 23rd Jul 2013 at 22:50

Pages (2): [1] 2