Post #26
too thick for a BE box, you want 75w80.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:02
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Should be 75w80. 75w90 is a bit thicker when hot, I use it in my rally car as the gearbox is a bit 'tired' and it appreciates thicker oil. It didn't make any difference to how the (tran-x) diff worked when I changed from 75w80. That diff doesn't clonk either as its set 'lightweight'.

I'd personally go 75w80, can't comment on fully synth stuff mind as I've only ever used semi.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:08
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
But that is the same as standard pug oil which is what is in it now, wanted to try to make the box quite by changing oil

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #29
I thought the clonks etc were caused by wear in the shafts, causing the diff the clonk.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:18
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
And that IMO is what you want! No point trying to quieten it down when you don't even know how much pre-load it's running.
I've got tran-x and gripper diffs both set lightweight with standard oil, no clunking! a few friends run the same with no issues. My other gripper clunks a bit but that's running loads of pre-load and as I've said already its just something you have to live with.

Facebook
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:23
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #31
allanallen wrote:
binkagti wrote:
Lol, he never use's the car anyway

Too embarrassed I'd imagineRazz

LOL

Cheeky buggers!

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:27
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
welshpug! wrote:
I thought the clonks etc were caused by wear in the shafts, causing the diff the clonk.

Afaik it's the plates grabbing as the ramps load them up with lock on/wheels spinning different speeds, worn driveshafts and suspension components will exaggerate it though which is possibly what's happening here.
I watched one of the 370z scholarship cars at coombe a few weeks ago, when it pulled out and turned 90degrees to head out the diff had that much pre-load it was making the inside wheel 'skip', that's the clonking but exaggerated, a lighter set diff will slip and you'll feel it 'clonk' whereas this was set so aggressively the tyre lost grip before the diff slipped, almost like the diff was welded!

As gti6girl says, you could run proper diff oil but the gearbox might not appreciate that. Swings and roundabouts really.

Facebook
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:37
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
any recommendations for oil to use in a box with a tran-x diff? gonna be changing the oil in mine soon and not had a syncro box with a plate diff before...

Oh, and mt btcc car runs Millers diff oil as used by the current btcc teams as that doesn't have to worry about syncros, and that diff clonks too!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 21:52
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Can I just add my 3 diffs clunk with normal oil badly and all gos away with the thicker oil, these were all brand new too

Some people say the LSD oil should not be used as its too thick for the box but its been years and and there's been no problems for me in 3 cars
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 22:21
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
What's the shifting like nick? Are they a pain to get in gear until they're warm?
Any ideas what your diffs are set to? As I say ive never had clunking with my lightweight gripper or tran-x using standard oil.

Facebook
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 22:33
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
The reason I was told not to use proper diff oil is that it lubricates the plates in the diff, but that lubrication also knackers the syncros prematurely. That was what the guy at Millers motorsport oil department told me anyhow. They do also do a diff oil for use with syncros mind.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 23:09
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
That's what I've always heard aswell but I'm a strong believer in tried and tested. We've got a gripper in a 306 rallye on bodies, that's been in about 3 years now. A tranx in my rallye which is also 3 years and my zf which I had for about 6 years. All boxes are going strong and its very easy to select gears
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 23:26
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Allenallen - I can't remember what the tranx is set to, all I remember it was horrendous till I put kazz oil in
The zf was set up by ab Motorsport and the gripper was just fitted as it arrived
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 23:29

Pages (2): 1 [2]