displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Aux Belt Running 1 Tooth Off P/S Pump - Slight Whine Under Load
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #1
Hello

Only had my 6 around 3 months and really making some progress with it, but I've noticed 2 things which need addressing:

1. The Aux belt (which looks fairly new) runs 1 groove over to the N/S (right as you look at the engine) on the top Power Steering Pump pulley, I've tried realigning it and it squealed for a bit and then moved back to the same position... presumably it naturally wants to sit there but I don't know why.

The rest of the run is fine, everything lines up, and the P/S pump looks to be fitted correctly, all the way onto the mountings with no gaps.... my only thought was that it's either a non GTI6 pump (perhaps with a different offset) or the pulley is adjustable and needs to be moved in. Any ideas?

2. There is a slight whine from the engine, sounds like a belt tensioner and obviously could be related to the above, it get's quieter as the engine warms up, but still remains after everything is upto temp, you can only really hear it manoeuvring at lower speeds but the note does change with steering angle and revs so I guess it's the Aux belt system.

I need to remove the belt I guess and test all the rollers / pulleys and run the engine without it to see if the whine goes, but my main question is - would a worn roller cause the belt to move across, and how can I fix this, can the pulley be adjusted?

Cheers
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 09:30
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
Hi,

Yes, the first port of call would be to remove the belt and then see if the noise goes away which I suspect it will.
Whilst the belt is off and the engine is switched off, check movement of all pulleys on the run and if any are slightly dodgy then replace them.

Lastly, no the pump pulley is not adjustable, so it sounds like either it's the wrong pump or (more likely) it's not been fitted correctly.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 11:26
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
is it a genuine aux belt matthew?

not often an auto tensioner packs up. but there does sound to be something not right

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 12:17
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
There are some spacers on the mounting bolts for pas pump, wonder if these are missing and if it could affect the position of pump so its not aligned correctlyDunno

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 12:50
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #5
No idea Andy - it was like that when I bought it... thought it looked quite new, and was running off centre, adjusted it to be correct and it squealed like nothing and then went quiet... once it moved back over to it's current position.

I can't see how the PAS pump could be fitted incorrectly as there is a couple of bolts that hold the unit right against it's mounting points, which so I can't really see how it could move over anymore... hence my thinking the pump was a different spec or maybe the pulley isn't located correctly.

The tensioner seems OK, but there are a few reports of the guide roller going, maybe this is throwing the top run off?

Maybe I could pop down for you to have a look at one evening (I can bring beer) the guys here advised just to fit a narrower 4 rib belt and be done with it, but I'd rather have things running as they should. It would be good to have the opinion of somebody who knows these cars well.
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 12:52
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Any pictures dude?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 12:53
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #7
Will take some later and post up... hold this space
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 12:54
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
sounds like your missing the spacers
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 13:13
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
It'll have to be next week mate, as I'm away this weekend.

Unless you can make it tonight?

Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 14:04
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #10
OK pictures of the pump, sorry they are not the best, taken with my phone.

As you can see the belt is off centre by 1 rib. the upper RH mounting (looking at the engine from the front) next to the manifold can be seen in image #2 and has a washer on the outside of the black steel block which you can just about see.

Wheras the mount on the upper left hand side (closest to the pulley) has no spacer at all and the pump housing and mount fit together exactly, I/m not sure, but perhaps a washer inserted here will space the whole thing towards the inlet manifold a little and get things lined up... can anybody confirm or deny the way this is setup.

Hope this makes some sort of sense, thanks for your invaluable help, this forum is great!
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 14:40
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Deffo a new pump, my money as I said above is the spacers are missing, or in the wrong placeWink

Pics are crap soz and don't show the bolts/spacers well enoughThumbs down

I've just relocated my pas pump to the sump, so I've got the standard spacers in the garage doing nowt if you find you need someThumbs up

LOL at the demon tweeks fitters saying fit a 4 rib belt!Shock was it Leighton by any chance?Wink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 21:09
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #12
Hmm, I can't see how I could space it over anymore than this as the gap between the two mountings (bolts go from the outside into the pump housing) is lacking any room... unless it's been pinched shut and there actually is room... I think a spacer on the LH side between pump and mount would move it over, perhaps enough to stop the issue.

Those spacers would be handy, don't know where else I would get them from aside from Peugeot who would most likely require you to order 10 or something.
Can you recall what the standard setup should be like (no pictures online) and where spacers should be located?

Oh and yes, you are correct on that also. seems like a reasonable idea, but I'd rather get it lined up correctly.

Cheers
Posted 21st Jun 2013 at 12:59
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #13
Can anyone tell me how the standard spacers are setup on this? wonder if the pump is different but i need to get things sorted sooner rather than later I guess. Andy - are you free at all this week? it would be great if you could have a once over - perhaps spot anything that needs doing?

Cheers
Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 20:52
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
just got back last night from berlin.

i have 1 night in work tonight, then off for 4. so anytime really

Posted 25th Jun 2013 at 09:34