displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: New car advice
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Not for me, but a friend has about £1k to spend on a first car. He wants something reliable, cheap to insure/tax/run and really doesn't care how slow it is - this last part is where my advice kind of falters a bit. My first thoughts were something along the lines of a Yaris or a Civic, cheap, cheerful, well-built and Toyota & Honda engines are probably the best made on the road. Any suggestions?

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 8th Jun 2013 at 14:45
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
106 1.5d? Heard these are ridiculous mpg, very slow though.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 8th Jun 2013 at 14:50
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
406 1.9 dTurbo saloon - very hard to kill off and fairly cheap to run. 40mpg, loads of space and comfy. Can be made to go sideways Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Jun 2013 at 18:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
or a 306 DTurbo, very cheap insurance, cheap to run, I got stupid quotes for 406's.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Jun 2013 at 18:35
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Peugeot 106? Slightly cheaper to insure than saxos and most other similarly sized superminis of that age.

Everything I ever looked up was extremely cheap to replace. I did almost nothing to mine in a year of ownership. I sold my 60k on the clock 3 previous owners example for £850, and plenty go for less. Mine was a 1.1L, horrifically slow but it didn't weigh anything and had a lot of bodyroll so it was actually quite entertaining/scary on windy roads. I reckon a 1.4L would have been ideal as it'd have been slightly less gutless and happier on the motorway.

The only problem I had with it was a leaky sunroof, caused by deterioration of the seals and blocking of the drain tubes. If he gets one with a sunroof, get an airline and blast out the drain tubes.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 9th Jun 2013 at 08:43
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #6
Rover 400

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 9th Jun 2013 at 08:45