displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: reviving SLA batteries, few questions.
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
hello. thought id ask here before i get bumped to off topic

im currently undergoing my first attempts at reviving some old sla batteries i have lying about. one 12v 7ah and 2 6v 12ah.

i have opened them brimmed them up with distilled water and set them on a charge with the caps off. its been a resonable amount of time but very slowly their voltages have been increasing.

there getting to the point where there reaching the voltage that they should be at, so yeah hopefully alls gone well with fixing them but i need to set my mind at ease about a few things.

are bubbles coming out of the cells normal while fixing/charging? nothing excessive, a bubble or two every 10 secs or so

after ive finished revinging/charging them. what do i do with the excess water? do i empty it away completly then put the caps back on. or do i need a certain amount left in there?

i know in a normal car battery you need a certain fluid level in there, but these cellls are slightly different. will the cloth material betwqeen the plates hold enough electrolyte

thanks in advance for your advice guys

jim

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 2nd Jun 2013 at 17:15
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
What are you doing with these batteries? A yuasa 12v7a can be had for about £20. I think they even sell them in maplins. They are sealed and no maintenance. Id do that. Ideally, they shouldnt really be bubbling on charge!
Posted 2nd Jun 2013 at 19:36