displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Sparco seat mounts.
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hey there.

After advice on what seat mounts to get for my sparco sprint 5 seat. Not sure whether to get bottom or side mounts, and wondered if anyone could shed some light on which ones are easiest to fit, as from some past posts I remember it being said that they can be a nightmare to fit.

My idea was to leave the standard seat mounts in too, so I can swap seats over come Mot time. I'm not sure if that's actually an option but would be nice.

Car is a P2 six.

Cheers,

Pebbles Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 28th May 2013 at 07:23
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #2
Side mounts, with a bolt in subframe, but this is a crap solution if you are tall and some seats will have cage clearance issues if mounted this way too. Welded in seat bars are the best choice. You won't want to go back to a s**tty standard seat after driving the car with a bucket I anyway.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 28th May 2013 at 08:01
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Cheers bud,

I found some sparco side mounts on tweeks for 50 quid, not sure if they are weld or bolt in. Are you able to make up seat mounts? Is pay more for something better.

On the height, I'm 5'8" and slim, so not big. 6 point OMP bolt in is the cage I have.

I never intended to go back to a normal seat, just wanted the ability to swap the seat for mot, then swap straight back. Unless I can get some slide mounts for the sparco. But id rather not break the already broken bank anymore.

Ta for the reply Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 28th May 2013 at 08:40
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
I can make seat bars, but it's best to buy the kits with the floating captive nuts to allow for adjustment, also the best way to mount them is to cut away the side boxes on the tunnel to allow you to mount the seats lower, as with this tunnel left unmodified you have to perch the seats on top, making things a little tight for headroom especially once you add a helmet and cage padding to the equation.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 28th May 2013 at 09:06
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #5
pebbles167 wrote:

I never intended to go back to a normal seat, just wanted the ability to swap the seat for mot, then swap straight back. Unless I can get some slide mounts for the sparco. But id rather not break the already broken bank anymore.

I don't think you need to swap back for MOT. There's some MOT criteria that can be disregarded if the car is modified for competition, and I think the "adjustable to 3 positions", or whatever it is, is one of them.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25433

Worth a check with your local MOT place, just to see that they are aware and can maybe clarify they'll be happy with what you're planning.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 28th May 2013 at 15:38
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Cheers for the info, will take this into consideration.

Don't suppose anyone has a link for how to modify the side boxes for fitment do they? My search diesnt really work on ky phone, and won't get access to my computer today.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 29th May 2013 at 10:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
you need to check your seats, they will be bottom OR side mount, not both usually.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2013 at 11:04
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:
you need to check your seats, they will be bottom OR side mount, not both usually.

The Sprints have both.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 29th May 2013 at 11:07
    daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #9

Don't do it exactly like this though, the tube ends that meet the tunnel need to be welded to some 3mm plate not straight to the tin.
    NOTE: this is my car but not my work, all of the welds for the seating, seat belt mounts and much of the cage needed re-welding, due I suspect to a faulty machine or more likely a very poor earth connection combined with a little inexperience (If you look at the earth clamp shown in the first image you can see the brass/copper contact plates are missing and it's just making a connection through the thin metal of the clamp itself, which is a very bad connection)

Harness bars
    Posted 29th May 2013 at 11:24