displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: XU10J4RS fitment to 205
Kale

Post #1
Ok, so this will be done during the next couple of weeks. I'm curious and guessing that the exhaust manifold will probably hit the bulkhead if just trying to drop it in as standard.

http://xu10j4rs.free.fr/Photos%20Xsara/xu10j4rs/collecteur.jpg

I've got a head from a 2001 xsara vts with exhaust manifold like the one in the picture above.

When fitting Mi16 engines to 205 here in Finland we have found that most difficulties can be avoided by simply dropping the engine down 1-2cm (steel plate under the right hand engine mount on the engine side and shim down the gb mount) and by adding some lenght the the fork behind the engine between the engine and the subframe. This will tilt the engine a bit but makes the original exhaust clear the bulkhead. And by experience (from Mi16 engines) it won't affect the engine oil supply or anything soo much. Not many people here have done this conversion I'm doing but many of you around here have from what I've looked around.

I guess tilting is needed with the RS engine also to clear the bulkhead. But will the intake manifold clear the cooling rad? As a Mi16 intake comes very close.. The thermostat housing issue is known and sorted.

306 S16 "Peugeot Sport GrpN" '94, 405 Mi16 "OEM+" '89, 605 SV24 "Executive Express" '91
Posted 10th May 2013 at 12:26
rikky 🦔

Post #2
just reangle the manifold and bend it down slightly. never wise angling the whole engine

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 10th May 2013 at 12:28
Kale

Post #3
Nah, the change in the angle isn't that big and it has been studied here that everything still works like it should (well, with the Mi16 engines atleast)..

But the exhaust is the only problem?

306 S16 "Peugeot Sport GrpN" '94, 405 Mi16 "OEM+" '89, 605 SV24 "Executive Express" '91
Posted 10th May 2013 at 12:45
rikky 🦔

Post #4
i don't see why you would angle the engine and jeopardize oil circulation/starvation when you can cut the manifold and bend it slightly to clear the bulkhead. that's what is mostly done here, and works fine. i've got mine to do in the next few weeks too [gti6 engine into 205 too]

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 10th May 2013 at 12:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
nobody tilts engines any more, especially MI16's.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th May 2013 at 12:59
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Exactly as above, its a total bodge to angle the engine, very old school.

Just buy the reangled ones of ebay or try pugracing site. Or gain power and buy a 205-gti6 4-2-1 manifold for this engine.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th May 2013 at 13:03
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #7
Get a thin cutting disc and a few hacksaw blades and make a slit in it.

Then take it to an engineering place and ask them to weld it up. Note: They are stainless. You probably knew that, but worth mentioning to the welder.

This is how the manifold can line up when the engine is placed in with no modifications to the manifold.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/blueovalspanker/345269b3.jpg[img]

Solution:

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 10th May 2013 at 13:15
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
    Kale wrote:
    But will the intake manifold clear the cooling rad? As a Mi16 intake comes very close.. The thermostat housing issue is known and sorted.

You'll need to adapt the fan cowling to bring the radiator towards the front of the car or lower it.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 10th May 2013 at 13:21
    Kale

Post #9
    Live and learn. Ok, I won't tilt the engine then Big grin

Are there any differences in the two versions of the exhaust manifolds around. As I have the later type with the normal exhaust flange. Both share the same problem?

Posted 11th May 2013 at 05:20
    coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    IIRC the later one is castDunno
    If thats the case you need to find a early one to get re angledThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
    Posted 11th May 2013 at 18:55
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
    Later what?

The manifolds all need adapting, later type can be used fine if you have the appropriate downpipe to take the flange from

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th May 2013 at 21:26
    miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    All 306 manifolds use the older standard Peugeot 2 bolt/Spring clamp with a gasket, the later ones as you have are a pain. Don;t forget the DP needs to be done too

Dropping the engine is a no no, the alloy sump will be exposed to the ground and can crack with ease

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
    Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
    New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
    We now also carry out Routine Servicing
    www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
    Posted 11th May 2013 at 21:57
    coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    welshpug! wrote:
    Later what?

The manifolds all need adapting, later type can be used fine if you have the appropriate downpipe to take the flange from

I thought ph2 xsaras had a different manifold totally, but its just connection to dp that changesThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
    Posted 11th May 2013 at 22:24
    Kale

Post #14
    Yeah it looks quite the same as a ph1 xsara / gti-6 but with different flange. I was just curious about it being any different from the older type when fitting an engine with it to a 205 engine bay. Because if nobody has anything to say about it, I'll drop it in for a trial fit first and then do the modifications needed.. I've started to like the idea of cutting+bending+welding the whole manifold near the head side flange.

And what comes to the downpipe, it will be made to fit from parts.. No stress about it. It will need a bending piece because the joint between the manifold and the dp won't have one on this.

Posted 12th May 2013 at 09:30