displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Exhaust advice - pics included
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #1
The 6 has recently developed a loud rattle from underneath the car at about 3200rpm.

So I decided to jump underneath and inspect the exhaust system. Never really paid attention to what the system comprised of. I think it is all Peugeot except for the cat..some advice needed.

The middle muffler/centre section (I think that is what it is called?) has a hole it in about half the size of a pea. When you tap it, something rattles inside. What is inside the middle muffler? The exhaust is all centered and heat shields are secure. I'm not sure if I have a cat haha..can someone let me know from the pics, it doesn't look standard. The only other thought i had was that the baffle inside my cat could have failed if I have one. Either way the middle muffler/centre section needs to be replaced, it is connected to the long piece of exhaust pipe that goes to the rear silencer....all one piece...can you get these from pug?

Excuse the stupid annotated pictures lol Whistle

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 12:39
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
HAve you checked the heatshield that is bolted driectely to the exhaust cam cover too?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 12:54
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #3
eliotrw wrote:
HAve you checked the heatshield that is bolted driectely to the exhaust cam cover too?

Just went to the garage and checked, it is on very tight no movement at all.

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 13:11
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Fair enough.
Mine if fairly regularly coming loose and causing a similar sound.

Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 13:20
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #5
Does anyone know if that is a cat? And whether the centre muffler can rattle...is there components inside?

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 13:37
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
It's not a standard gti6 one that's for sure, wrong shape and joins. Could be a sports cat?

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 13:41
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Looks like one thats been fettled to fit,
Maybe like one of those jetex universal types?

Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 13:42
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Gosh those heatshields are in minty mcmint condition - shows what salt does to UK cars.

From your description of the hole in the centre box and the rattle from inside it sounds like you need a new centre section. The OE one works well and lasts a long time but nothing lasts forever. Check price at a Peugeot dealer in Australia but depending on freight costs it even might be better to order one from a dealer in the UK. The parts department at Fish Brothers in Swindon +44 1793 461 458 sends parts to a customer in New Zealand due to price differences so they know a bit about freight to that side of the world. The OE centre section costs about £130 here and was still available a few months ago.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 14:07
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Looks like either a sports cat or aftermarket cat to me.

Unless its a decat made by someone that is visually challenged.

There is a Kind of gold honeycomb structure inside cats. When a cat is knackered it will start to break apart and rattle. If its rattling on throttle I'd say its knackered and I'd get it replaced sooner rather than later. You don't want it breaking th in there and blocking the pipe

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 14:08
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Agree the cat does not look OE - probably aftermarket from an exhaust shop due to cost of an OE one. Hard to tell but it looks OK from the pic, when installing the new centre section get it checked out to be sure either way.

To specifically answer your questions, yes boxes do rattle due to bits inside breaking up when they are on the way out and with a "pea-sized" hole in it I'd say it is fubared. Usually welding holes up does not last long as the condensation from running the engine rusts them from inside and the metal is corroded too thin to successfully weld onto.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 14:16
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #11
Thanks for the replies so far, this forum is handy.

I can't imagine how bad the underneath of the car would deteriorate from salt :/

Yeah by the looks of it the old genuine cat has been cut out and a new aftermarket one has been welded in. Although from looking at the cat up close and tapping on it, it seems to be in good condition, however I'm not sure what it is like inside.

I'm going to Peugeot today to collect some badges, so I will get a price on a genuine center section. Mine is definitely stuffed.

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 02:19
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Give it a hammer with a rubber mallet, you will know for sure if the cat is at fault then.

Mine was the same, aftermarket cat rattling at those revs, it sounded more like a hollow rattle.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 03:07
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
That cat looks like the one that's just came off my mates Leon cupra.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 10:03
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #14
mik wrote:
Gosh those heatshields are in minty mcmint condition - shows what salt does to UK cars.

From your description of the hole in the centre box and the rattle from inside it sounds like you need a new centre section. The OE one works well and lasts a long time but nothing lasts forever. Check price at a Peugeot dealer in Australia but depending on freight costs it even might be better to order one from a dealer in the UK. The parts department at Fish Brothers in Swindon +44 1793 461 458 sends parts to a customer in New Zealand due to price differences so they know a bit about freight to that side of the world. The OE centre section costs about £130 here and was still available a few months ago.

Peugeot quoted me $269AU dollars for a new centre piece. Not too bad really. Apparently there is one left in Australia haha! Am I best to buy new clamps as the old ones look at bit worse for wear.

I've jumped under the car and hammered the s**t out of the cat with a rubber mallet no sound from there. So I assume after all that the cause of the rattle is coming from the stuffed centre piece.

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 27th Apr 2013 at 12:41