displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Rear Wiper Motor - Auto Return Not Working
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #1
Hi

When I bought my car the rear wiper motor had been removed and replaced with a blank, I like to see out of the rear window so I've reinstalled it, but whilst it works and will travel normally with the rear wiper stalk control to 'on' if you release this during the return stroke, it stops anywhere on the screen.

I'm sure I remember it having a park function on my old 306 which took it across and back by just flicking the stalk - any ideas what's likely to cause this... I know the parking issues on the front are to do with the contacts becoming weak inside the motor / gearbox, but i'm not sure on the rear.... perhaps it's a relay thing.

Any ideas?
Posted 24th Apr 2013 at 21:25
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #2
i would try another motor, will more than likely be the problem
Posted 25th Apr 2013 at 07:30
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #3
Took this one out today and stripped it as much as I could - I presume it operates in the same manner as the front where there are contact 'fingers' which touch a disc on the gear to tell the wiper when to turn on and off....

The relay works and is clicking on and off in the rest position, but I can get it to stop anywhere on the return stroke, by turning off the switch so so presume one of the contacts is not there, don't think I can get any further into it to check / clean .etc (I've successfully fixed the judder on the front wipers by doing so) so a new motor it may have to be.
Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 19:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
have you taken the cover off the back of the spindle to expose the contacts?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 19:16
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #5
I've stripped the motor (removed the spindle from the motor / cog / worm gear assembly but am pretty sure the contacts are located behind the plastic cog and I think this is a press fit...

Does the stalk control the run on of the motor? seems strange that it will work as normal when the switch is on intermittent, but then if you click it back to off it stops automatically, I'm sure the system should return to rest when doing so and suspect one of the contacts on the gear wheel is suspect and not telling the motor to continue until park...

It's just like the issue with the front wipers, a new motor may be the easiest option to be honest.

Posted 26th Apr 2013 at 20:07
calibra306

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Same problem with my fronts after removing them to do the heater matrix!

Worked fine before unless something has moved inside whilst they have been moved about. Proper annoying as everything else went pretty well.

V6 Power!

Faster I can go the better!

Its not what you drive, its how you drive that wins the race!
Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 22:45
rikky 🦔

Post #7
mine does this too. not sure if stalk or motor. not sure i care enough to fix it either

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st May 2013 at 15:11
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #8
I've successfully fixed the fronts by cleaning the contacts (and adding tension to them) in the gearbox, but don't think I can get the rear apart enough to do the same... It's a simple enough system really, I will try again with a little more force.
Posted 1st May 2013 at 21:56
matthew_eames

Regular

Post #9
Easily fixed this - stripping the motor using the 6 torx bolts gives you access to the worm drive and sprocket which connects through a linkage to the wiper spindle.

The contact ring and 3 'fingers' are situated underneath this, but you can prise it out with 2 small screwdrivers and a bit of care, clean the contacts and add tension to the spring metal (the park one of mine was corroded and not in contact) and it works as normal now.

Did the same to the front as it was stuttering and there was a lot of corrosion inside and a snapped 'finger' so have had to order a new motor.

Only took 15 mins to sort so it's quite easy to restore your rear wiper to normal operation

Inside is a variation on this - I assume all wipers use the same principal:

Cheers
Posted 19th May 2013 at 13:06