displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Beam problem, Tyre's catching for some reason ?????
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi

Ill try to keep a long story short if I can sorry.

As you may have seen ive just changed my beam over to another good one etc. The last beam was lowered and had been on for 8 years and neither back wheels or tyres caught anywhere in the arches even with 3 people in the back (17x7" 205/40/17).

Just had the new good beam lowered to the same drop as last time and now the passenger back tyre is scrubbing badly, it looks as though the passenger side wheel is closer to the inner lip than the drivers side.

I can get my fingers in between the drivers side tyre and arch but only just on the passenger side where its scrubbing. Its like the passenger side wheel/tyre is closer to the arch than the other side for some reason.

before I go call/go back to where I got it lowered has anybody got any suggestions to something im over looking ?????????

Many thanks in advance

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 20:01
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
other beam had camber ?

what offset are the wheels ?

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 20:25
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Wheels are correct offset as had them on my previous lowered beam for 8 years with no scrubbing. Back right dose not scrub but back left does now and only with this new beam after lowering which is much closer to the inner arch.

Can I adjust the camber ????

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 20:32
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
no camber is a sign of bearing collapsed if its closer inner arch have you now got camber on this beam ?

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 20:53
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
How do you know it was a good beam?

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 20:54
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I bought it from Colin at Pug Performance he said it was a good beam and then lowered for me.

he just said it was off an X plate and thought it was lowered and all good, took it home and fitted it, it wasnt lowered wasn't so went back again, he lowered it. scrubbed once on way home but didn't think much of it to be honest.

Out today with wife and kids and it just scrubs all the time especially when turning right over even slight bumps and even just at 30mph so not giving it any beans.

My last beam never ever scrubbed 3 up in the back over the 8 years I had that beam.

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 21:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
its donald ducked Thumbs up

if Colin didn't take it apart and inspect the shafts he wont have a clue of its condition and essentially just robbed you.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 21:16
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Unless you buy a beam newly rebuilt or one with a recent build history, then you can't always rely on what people tell you.

I've seen many beams which visually look in good order, but when stripped, are donald ducked

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 22:01
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Just spoke to Colin as he replied to an email. he said if the beam etc is bad and anything to do with him/his work he will rectify at no cost which is a good answer so fair play to him there.

he did suggest checking the gap if there is one where we put the shaft back in after lowering, if no gap undo the 6 beam bolts and try to persuade the beam over to the drivers side to get it dead in the middle, or get some peeps to sit in the boot to see exactly where it is catching and go from there. or gently pull back the arch a mm or 2 to bring it away from the tyre.

He did say it was in good condition as it all came apart very well and sweetly and went back together just as well with no problems, I was there so can back him up there.

It may be where he said as its in very good nick the top of the tyre is where it should be and not being lazy and cambering in towards the inner arch and now catching if that makes sense.

I do remember on my old beam it was closer passenger side than drivers side so it could be something as simple as the above its now sitting properly and catching whether I like it or not, unless I need to pul the arch out very slightly or try to move the beam across after loosening the 6 bolts off as suggested.

I think Colin is probably right as he does know his s**t when it comes to Pugs

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 20th Apr 2013 at 22:14
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Ye colin does know his sruff but everyone is wrong at some point. The old beam must have had camber.

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 07:34
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Dont pull the arches, and if he suggested it then id worry about the work he does... The beam should be fine and would never normally scrub. As it does, take it back and get it sorted. Failing that, force a refund and go find jord. Wink

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 08:53
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
^pretty much this

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 09:27
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Managed to move it over about a mm and seems to have sorted itself but still need to test with a car load. Bounced up and down and no scrubbing so it may have settled into a normal position as the gap each side in the arches is more equal each side now.

Fingers crossed its ok now

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 22nd Apr 2013 at 20:36
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Keep us posted. Thumbs up

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 23rd Apr 2013 at 12:46
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
If its of an x reg and not been rebuilt it is long overdue. If its been dismantled to lower that will only compound the problem.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 23rd Apr 2013 at 12:52
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
The best way to check without taking it apart, is the beam seal where the trailing arm goes into the beam, Must be a uniform gap around it all, this is where the bearing issues will show as if it has this you will have less of a gap at the top, the arm should just touch the seal, any more and it can wear it away.
If this is OK then the beam's good, but each beam you get will show different camber to a degree on them as thats the way the things are

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 23rd Apr 2013 at 22:00
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
What i check is how high above the arm is in relation to the edge of the beam where seal is. It should be level with the beam, too higher up than the beam then the bearings have most likely collapsed.

So whats the best way to make sure beam is centralised, please dont say drive on flat straight road for a while then do nuts up once beam has centralised lol.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 23rd Apr 2013 at 22:08
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
So far so good good no more scrubbing, had a close look with no gaps anywhere, and to my eye the beam looks central with a uniform profile around the seals where they meet up.

Fingers crossed when i can do a loaded up test it should prove ok.

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 24th Apr 2013 at 08:05